Advice needed re: R1100RT purchase

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by DiabloADV, Apr 5, 2013.

1. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    I'm going to look at a R1100RT-Police that the seller says needs a clutch. I've put clutches in airheads, but not these newfangled bikes. Is this a straightforward DIY thing, or am I about to bite off more than I can chew? On a scale of 1-10, my mechanics skills are a solid 4-minus, but I'm pretty game to try things.

Also...what might I be looking at in parts cost for this job (I assume, besides clutch, I would do the rear seal and other maintenance while I'm in there...?)

Any other tips greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. lkchris

lkchris Albuquerque

Oddometer:
    No frame on this bike, so you'll have to hang the parts from the rafters after you break the bike in half. Or some jacks, etc. Wouldn't think it's a one-man job.
  3. RAL88

RAL88 Marineboy

Oddometer:
    I had a 96 R1100RT that had a cracked intermediate shaft that I had to replace. You can do it one person it just takes a little longer but nothing is really heavy. Your right about looking at replacing the rear engine output seal and the seals on the shafts on the transmission while in there.
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    If you want to replace input shaft and tranny seals and full clutch assembly you are looking at $1000 for parts. You can half that if no shaft and only main seal.

10 hours in and out + all the running around you'll do and parts chasing.

Looks horrible midway, like you've been in a train wreck.

You'll be a 7+ when you are done!
  5. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    Does the whole input shaft need to be replaced on these? How often?