The Over 70 Club.....

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by daveoneshot, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ken williams

ken williams motoken

Oddometer:
    sunny warm 12 months riding St Pete Fl. USA
    Got to admit I am over 70. My concentration- Think putting on 500 to 600 miles a day and 10,000 miles is fair concentration. This was last summer Fl to Colorado. Tired of winter, so I am packing now for a early run to Texas and Mexico before heading north to Alaska. I think the secret is to just do it that which gives you pleasure. I had been Solo sailing-trans-Atlantics on my 35ft sloop. . Last year I back packed across Europe from London to Turkey for 3 months. I got pneumonia from all the smoking and fowl air in the big cities, so now I am only going to the open country. I am playing with putting a hack on to carry more gear and fuel. Figure it out if you do 600 miles a day how many gas stops are necessary with a 4 gallon tank. . I ran out of gas in Missouri because the two stations across Missouri RT 64 to Colorado never opened on a Saturday. In July it was as hot as blazes and a drought. I take offense of the dude mocking the Over the Hill 70 Riders referring to back pain etc etc . Hey my my 23 year old girl friend complains just as much with just headaches. See you on the road-toad. :eek1.
  2. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    Close enough, 67. At this juncture, I just take the negatives in stride. The main thing for me is to not say 'I used to do X', or 'I never had Y problem before'. Instead, I look around and think, 'that guy is my age and he can hardly walk with that extra 50 pounds on his gut'. I am sooooo glad I never smoked, that my weight is that same as when I was in college, and that I kept myself in good shape. Sure, bumps, sometimes deep potholes, along the path but the only way to avoid them is to die first. I don't ride as hard or as long as I used to...I ain't stupid. 'Man's got to know his limitations.'
  3. GT George

GT George Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make your bike comfortable, tune up your mind, go for it.

Good attitude PopRock!! I have 11 years before I reach the 70 mark and I see no reason to slow down now. In fact, I'm just beginning to hit my stride.

Keep on ridin'
    GT George
  4. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, everyone, I'm 66 and riding makes me feel younger and keeps me sharp. Some of my abilities are lessening (my legs are an example) but my upper body is still damn strong. (I plan to start jogging). I actually think that an "older" guy can ride to an advanced age, as long as he/she recognizes their situation and does some compensation, mentally and physically.
  5. DRGNHTR

DRGNHTR Dragonhunter

Oddometer:
    I'm feeling better after reading this thread. I turn 65 in July and in the last year or so all of my riding buddies ( in their late 60's) have quit riding and sold off everything. It wouldn't be too bad but I just retired and now have the time to do the trips I haven't had the time for. I'm counting on five more "good" years and figure anything after that is gravy. I'm hoping for a lot of gravy. :D
  6. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm five years away and hoping to ride few km's yet. Great reading about bloke's riding into their 80's. So it's not only therapeutic, it keeps you young too! Anyone getting near the retirement age, taket or leave 20 years, get off your sorry fat arse and ride!
  7. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stop it with the numbers, will ya! :D Oh, and find some young riders. Hangin' with rusting hulks will get you nowhere.
  8. mrmgoo

mrmgoo beemerscoot

Oddometer:
    Turned 86 last New Years....still riding 8 to ten thousand a year. Started in the Spring of '46 on My first Harley,a '39 Knuckle head. Just to give You a little idea of My ridingabilities,I rode My '04 V-rod on My annual trip out West this Year. ( I live in VA. ) I made Glacier Park...Bear tooth pass....Yellowstone and all the good places while I was there.I bought a C 650 GT Beemer scoot for the trip this coming Summer,and I think it will do fine. I have put 1300 miles on it so far and with the big wheels and beefy frame it feels like My Electraglide. Anymore it feels better to have the weight a little lower to the ground! Harley....80% effort...20% pleasure.with the Scooter....10% effort ...90% pleasure! I'm gonna enjoy the difference! Mrmgoo....ride safe.....and often.
  9. WetSideRider

WetSideRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having a 23 year old girl friend has to be great training for the stresses of riding, and a great incentive for a solo trip of some duration. I've got an 18 year old grandson, I can't imagine a female version of him that I could stand for more than three hours. Might make a fine bedwarmer though.
  10. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    :super