New Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tires, GT and Trail Options Available

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CompAcc, Dec 5, 2013.

1. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

Wanted to pass along some info on the latest sport touring tire: Michelin Pilot Road 4.

The Pilot Road 4's are similar to the 3's, in that they are heavily focused on wet weather handling and grip. The biggest improvement, is a claimed 20% greater tire life. The Pilot Road 3's were fairly impressive as it was, so 20% more tire life on the Pilot Road 4's sounds fantastic.

The Michelin Pilot Road 4 is going to be available in 3 different versions:

Standard, for all around sport touring use.

GT, which offers a stiffer casing for heavier bikes, riding two up with luggage, etc. These are going to be the standard issue tire for the BMW R1200 RT.

Trail, which is NOT an off-road tire, but a tire designed to be used on trail bikes that are ridden 100% on the road. The main difference in the trail version is the compounds are softer in the rear.

Stay tuned, as I'm sure we'll be updating this thread with new information as it becomes available. We should have a video up for these shortly.

[​IMG]
  2. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    Excellent!

I love my PR3 trails and will be needing some new tires come Springtime.

Watching closely :evil
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you ship tires to Alaska? If so ball park figure to Anchorage area, 99506 more specifically.
  4. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started a thread just last week asking for a best option for my BMW GSA1200 for a 6,500, 2 week trip that will be 99% paved roads I'm taking in 6 months. The consensus was the RP3 Trail but after hearing that the RP4 is coming out, that is what I'm going to choose. I'm all in! This will be my first true street tire o run on the GSA. Should be interesting. :wink:
  5. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    the best keep getting better!
  6. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We do ship tires to Alaska, please call our customer service department for an accurate shipping quote - but ballpark is around $60ish.

Here is your first up close look at them. They definitely look promising!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Le9mXPfjX_o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  7. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are your hours? I just called at 1525hrs Alaska Standard Time and was told the offices are closed.
  8. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really like the lack of void on the shoulders. Should be good. Can't wait to finish off my stack of PR3s.

They are EST.
  9. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't be so negative. He is somebody's drunk uncle for god's sake. We all need one of those around the holiday. :rofl
  10. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell i only called when i got home from work myself. I don't know what time zone they are in. West coast was only 1630hrs.
  11. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Drunk Uncle :freaky

We were indeed closed after 4pm on Christmas Eve, and closed for the whole day Christmas Day. Our phones are normally open 9 - 6 Monday through Saturday during the winter. During the summer we extend them a bit further. We are just South of Charlotte, NC - so we are EST.

Talk soon!
  12. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to using the PRT 4 on my Super Tenere in the spring. Since most of my miles are commuting and touring, with very little more than a dirt road here and there, I think these will suit very well. As my Anakee 3s wore (front is almost toast, and rear is starting to square off) they became less confidence inspiring at deep lean angles. They were surprisingly good on and off paved surfaces when new, but as the rear has worn, steering has become quite heavy, then the bike falls in at deeper lean angles.

Had some great reports on the PRT 3s from some GS driving friends.

Now, somebody dial up an early spring, please! It is 12 degrees outside...:eek1

Rob
  13. Kingsized

Oddometer:
    As far as I can tell, the GT isn't produced for the GSA. (110/80/19 and 150/70/17) Can anyone confirm that? I like the dense strip in the center rear tire. I'm trying to counter the dreaded flattening of the rear on my long haul with luggage.

By the way, your price is the best I've found on the 4 trials. Good going!
  14. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is correct, those sizes are only available in the Trail version.
  15. Drumhawk

Drumhawk Lurker

Oddometer:
    No stock on 170/60-17 PR-4-GT? Can't seem to find that one. you site seems to have only the 180 listed?
  16. Jaeger22

Jaeger22 n00b

Oddometer:
    I really want to try a set of these. The RP3 is the best I have found for long road trips on the Super Tenere. But I am confused about the trail version. Why the heck would I want a softer compound tire on my big traillie? I need high mileage and load capacity. I would think the GT would work best but it does not come in 150/70/17 size. Would I not get better mileage with the standard tire with the harder compound? Or does it lack the load capacity for a 600 LB bike?
  17. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Drumhawk, you can find the 170 tire in the PR4 GT here: http://www.compacc.com/p/Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-GT-Tires-Rear

Jaeger I have had the same question, obviously you'd get better grip with the softer compound - but I'd be curious to know the tire wear characteristics. I threw your question over to Michelin and will report back with what they say.
  18. Kingsized

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a set of Trail for my GSA. I called to ask the guys about these tires with the same concerns you have. The center 20% is harder on the GT but with a big bike, especially loaded, you'll see the rear tire depressed more than 20% under load. If you rode the standard or GT, you'd see a wearing on edges of the harder 20% compound. to if you look at say 40% of the center rear, you'd see the outer 10% on each side of the center 20% that would wear more. You'd feel this in the turns. It's better to have the 60% medium compound that wears evenly so in turns you have a more even wear. I can't explain it was well as it was explained and I did feel better about going with the Trail version after our conversation.
  19. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I suppose it all boils down to weight and expected usage. Here is Michelin's reply:

20. Kingsized

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to give a vote of confidence to the team at Competition Accessories. I put in my order yesterday and came home today to a box with two pretty new tires by my front door. Very impressive!