The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Dorsicano

Dorsicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spanish magazine Solomoto has printed some spy pictures of a water cooled GS. It says it will be a 2012 model.

Attached Files:

2. Dorsicano

Dorsicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    there is a rear picture too.

Attached Files:

3. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    I bet they got rid of the rocker arms.
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Rocker arms were gone with the last of the hexheads in 09 and replaced by camheads, no?

:lurk
  5. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    Not really rockers with the DOHC but rather followers as there is only one side that pivots and provides minimal leverage between cam and valve.

Maybe a 2012 in Europe, but could very well be a 2013 here if even that soon as they just did the DOHC last year.
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Would you speculate that it's a dry or wet clutch? :ear
  7. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll need to start saving for my next GS :evil
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    I guess is finally helpful to know Espanol around here..

Here is a basic translation of the five points show on the right hand side of the picture.

1 Motor water cooled engine with the intake and exhaust located at the top and bottom of the cylinders.

2 radiator located above the televeler, hiding in between the plastics and the crash guards.

3 "Cardan" (final drive and shaft drive) located on the left hand side of the bike, totally backwards from the current 1200GS

4 Exhaust pipe with exit on the right hand side of the bike, with the cardan on the left is no space for the collector, take a look at the saddle bag.

5 Front modified with a new windscreen, plastics, crash guards, elevated front fender (I don't see it, but that is what they say) optics. Is very similar to the 1200GSA but different.

Ps: That is more or less what the side notes say..
  9. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr DELTATANGO once again as per earlier post, the "camhead" motor does NOT have rocker arms, may look like rocker arms but they are a pivoting shoe/lever/follower/shim retainer (take your pick). Have a closer look at the pics of it.:deal:eek1
  10. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Runs with Scissors

Oddometer:
    I read #1 differently as in liquid refrigeration - not a spanish expert at all just doing literal translation. :lurk

typical tough to decipher spy pictures but at least the water cooled beast is closer than we think...

Can a better copy be provided or link to the article
  11. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    It was just a matter of time before BMW had to switch from air to water cooled. If they decide to go with a wet clutch, that would be an improvement. Air cooled is the main reason I started to look at that engine and I still prefer an air cooled engine, a lots easier to work on then water cooled engine. I will miss the old engine:cry, but I'm still very interested to see what the new one is going to look like.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
  12. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Yes you are right, I just try to use "English" terms to convey the idea better, Me bad.
  13. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they actually re-engineered that final drive as well - rather than just continuing to push more ponies through something that was marginal 10 years ago :)

The GS is a great bike, one I've always lusted after, IF you can overlook the reliability issues - I can't.

Pete
  14. Semper Fi

Oddometer:
  15. Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    No big deal - splitting hairs - it is cooled one way or the other but not with air :evil
  16. Dorsicano

Dorsicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right n.1 can be literally translated as liquid refrigeration, but the mag's cover page refers to the water boxer. Here's a link to the magazine but you only get to see the cover - they need to sell to stay alive...

http://solomoto.es/articulo/1296467...-coma-nueva-bmw-cazada-exclusivo-de-solo-moto

I am not currently in Spain, so I could not get my hands on a copy yet. The scans I posted came from the BMWmotos.com forum in Spain.
  17. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still looks like 19/17 wheels, but the rear sure looks bigger than current 4.00" rim with 150 tire.
  18. MRHAPPY

MRHAPPY GSIN

Oddometer:
    no worries, they put the new FD on backwards so you can change it without kneeling half in the driving lane:D
  19. Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    Great - thanks that is what i was looking for and could not find!

That makes sense because what they are showing in your link is 1/31 for a date and the stuff i was looking at was not that recent.

Hopefully in a week or two the article will be up on their website.

The only reason I mentioned the liquid refrigeration is because the artist rendition of the engine and radiator showed lines that were too small to be coolant lines (at least for me).

Guess we need to wait and see....
  20. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    The last time one of my buddies sent me an email about the new "water cooled boxer", it ended up being this... :evil

[​IMG]