Rally advice

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by phillipsrog, Dec 4, 2012.

1. phillipsrog

phillipsrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I realize this is kind of a loaded question, but I am planning trips for next year and trying to decide whether to attend any rallies. I would like to hear from people who have been to a few. I'm interested in meeting other riders and learning some new country. But my idea of a good time riding is not being the 15th bike back on a dusty dirt road, which kind of seems like a strong possibility with a rally.

Or is the riding done getting there and going home and then it's just one big party when you get there?

I'm interested in one in the Northwest and keeping tabs on where they're going to be. Any advice is appreciated, and I really don't want to start any slam fests. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to use a long weekend to attend one, or just take off with a couple buddies and do our own thing.
  2. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Been to a few rally's and they've all been a little bit different. Sometimes I've done the big group rides and other times just run with a rider or two. Some guys do their solo thing as well. You can still meet up with folks at lunches, check-ins etc. The gatherings around the fires, sharing of stories (and "resources" :freaky) and bike camaraderie make up for any bad group ride experiences. Don't know if you don't try.
  3. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    ADV rallies tend to be different than the standard MC rallies.

Pay your fee. Show up. Talk to like minded people and if you find someone who is talking about an interesting ride, join in. The most I have ridden with was half a dozen. Some groups get larger, but not all.
  4. cdriver

cdriver KATS JR

Oddometer:
    I believe the national BMW rally is in Oregon this year, the rallies they put on always seem to be top notch.
  5. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the Hell's Canyon ride. Great scenery, roads and people. Everyone breaks into compatable groups that want to go to the same places. There is a thread in the PNW region.
  6. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Yes, it is in Salem this year.

This is one rally that you can make to be whatever you want it to be. Mostly any type of riding you would want, with many or few companions, at your choosing.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843668

7. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
  8. phillipsrog

phillipsrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will probably see us at the Hells Canyon ride. It sounds like fun. Thanks for your hard work putting it on.
  9. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:

Fixt.

1911fan