David Morrison Memorial Ride - aka "Dr. Cool" - Cape Breton July 5th 2013

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RumRunner, Jul 7, 2013.

1. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    This thread is to share some memories with regards to paying respect to a dear husband, a great father and a wonderful friend - Dave Morrison

David's nick name was Dr Cool and for many good reasons, primarily because he was an ambassador to hospitality. David made friends were ever he traveled, and opened his home to those who were complete strangers. He ensured that every rally/event up here had kegs of wonderful golden elixir to celebrate the days end and wash down dusty travels. He also was a key figure in a local HVAC firm - keeping people cool.

With that in mind, and with his families blessing, a bunch of us decided we needed to continue down the road of healing and have a memorial at the place where David passed last July 5th, 2012. If interested, you can catch up on what happened to Dr Cool here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806477

At what was first planned as a small gathering, soon grew and before we knew it a memorial was arranged:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860483

This will be an open thread open for all who would like to help us remember our dear friend, and his family.

Darren
  2. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  3. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    So we gathered at the fateful spot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Ion and Scott explained what happened last July (thanks guys, we know that took a lot to re-live)

[​IMG]

DW
  4. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    We are trying to get some funds in an education trust fund for Davids and Margarets two children and we place these stickers out there on our travels. If you would like to help, please ask and you can get some stickers.

[​IMG]

DW
  5. pixellman

pixellman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will never forget the spot.
    Thank you Darren
  6. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Davids family arrived and brought with them a memorial stone that Mike had made up. Many of us commented on the fact that the granite memorial stone looked like it was cut from the same place where we placed it. Dr Cool helping guide us I'm sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DW
  7. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Everyone added a few personal wishes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While our ink may fade, our memories will not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DW
  8. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    So we cleared a spot on the hard Cape Breton rock face and mounted our memorial.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DW
  9. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Margaret has been as strong as a person can be over this last year and I know that her words reach deep inside everyone of us. We all know that life is worth living to it's fullest and Margaret helps keep it top of mind.

She proved it again:

[​IMG]

I would like to thank everyone for being here today and making the long journey in David’s memory. I also thank all who wanted to be here as I know that they are thinking of Dave today and all of us at this very moment. I really wasn’t sure what I was going to say or what we would do but I just felt that I needed to be here at this location one year later.
    Thank you to Darren for recommending amemorial stone and to Mike for making it happen. Ed, the words you chose are perfect. Drcool would definitely approve.
    Today is not a day for goodbye but a day to remember and to keep remembering that there are good, generous and loving people who are taken from us when we don’t want them to go and that these are the experiences in our lives that make us stronger. Even though Dave is not physically with us he is with us in spirit. I feel his presence every day. There was a time when I was skeptical about the spirit world as I know that many are. But over the past year I have become a believer do to a few occurrences that made be step back and say Hmm. I know that Dave is watching over us with a big grin and giving us a little push or shove when we need it but also watching that our journey through our own adventures are kept a little safer. Each time I see a rainbow I know he is there just as he was last winter on the ice at Ian and Suzie’s. Each time I see a full moon over the water he is watching over us as he did at Eoar
    Scott and Ion I commend you for having the courage and the strength to return to this spot one year later. It must be difficult to remember a ride which started out as a great adventure that ended with such tragedy. I know that Adam is also thinking of us at this very moment. I want you to know that my heart goes out to you and that I once again Thank you for being a part of the last days of David’s life.
    The last year has been very surreal and I often wish I could wake up from this bad dream. I am grateful though for the overwhelming generosity, kindness and caring that has been shown from every one of you. I have been overwhelmed by the many events, functions and dedications that have been presented in David’s memory. I thank you
    This stone will be placed at this very location where David’s life was taken. We really don’t know why he had to leave us so early in his life but a greater power felt it was his time. His memory will always remain in our hearts. This place will be here for all to visit on their future journeys to this beautiful part of our country. I have placed a small vial of David’s ashes in the stone so that a small part of him will always be here to greet you when you come to visit.

DW
  10. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Dr Cool so many friends

[​IMG]

DW
  11. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    I really, really wished I was able to make it on this ride, now that i have a non-wheeying bike that is more suitable for long distance...

I would truly like to thank whoever signed "Robbie O" for me. Although I wasn't there in person, I was certainly there in spirit andit's been on my mind constantly!

I miss Dave everyday as much as everyone else, and even drank a beer on July 5th.
  12. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    St Albert. Alberta Canada. IBA Member 50093
    Very touching tribute..when I retire to the east coast from Alberta (soon) I'll be sure to stop along the way.
  13. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    miss you buddy :cry

[​IMG]
  14. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was honoured to attend this very touching and appropriate tribute. Although I never met Dave, I feel that having a little piece of him here, has made my little island a richer place to live and ride. I will think of him and his friends whenever I ride by his monument.

Peter
  15. MTRhead

MTRhead HOLYSHIFT!!!

Oddometer:
    Lost in the woods of Muskoka, formerly GTA
    Suzie and I wished we could have been there during this emotional journey.
    Its great to see all the support for Maggie, Chynna and Shane.
    The memorial stone is a perfect tribute to our loved friend, and hope to visit it in the future.

Cheers to all that rode this journey, I'm sure Davey was watching over you all. :freaky

[​IMG]
  16. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    That. Right there. Well done.

17. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Thank you for allowing this stranger to be part of this day. I did not know Dr Cool but felt I had to show up on this day to pay respects from "The Rock". I had been enjoying the planning and trip posting that came to this tragic conclusion. While introducing myself and shaking Margarets hand I felt the strength that she carries and knew that day that she passed some of this on to me from Dave Morrison himself.
  18. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    this is just beautiful
    hats off to all the wonderful people honoring a wonderful man
  19. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    Some photos of Drccol Ride'13

Meeting Adam and Richard on the HWY. The weather started to suck but we didn't care.

[​IMG]

All of us meeting up at Pig-Pens then rode to SmilingEd's for the night.You wife can cook for us anytime.

[​IMG]

On our 1st ferry going into "La Bella Provence"

[​IMG]

This is what happens when some doesn't wait to tell you we went left or right. 40min time kill.

[​IMG]

Camped at Mt.St.Anne campsite.
    "We leave in 10min no bullshit"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second ferry 3rd day.

[​IMG]

Loving the roads.

[​IMG]

Bad photoshop on the wires.

[​IMG]

Having a break