Recording streaming video?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Ursa Major, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on recording videos that are avaiiable to stream, but not download, i.e. YouTube, Flash (on websites) or other varieties? I'm good with either OS X or Windows solutions.

Along similar lines, what's the best file format to save to for efficient storage? I'm not worried about high res - what I'm thinking of are more like slide presentations with voice-over - but relatively compact storage would be good.
  2. NoMoIke

NoMoIke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are great plugins you can get for just about any browser to download flash videos. I use Download Them All. It will download the videos in flv format. I use VLC Media Player to watch them.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2
  3. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out keepvid.com. You copy/paste the youtube (or other site) link, it'll give you a few choices of what quality you want, and downloads it for you. VLC media player will play most any file type you can find.
    G
  4. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Keepvid.com looks good, but it won't help for this application. This is a website where I click on an embedded "Watch this Video" link in a page, and a JWPlayer popup comes up and plays the flash video. The URL doesn't change, so it won't work in Keepvid.

I'll have a look at Firefox add-ons like Download Them All (I primarily use Firefox on Mac and Windows). Do you know if it will grab a popup flash app like JWPlayer?
  5. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    Ok, problem solved. I got a Firefox add-on called "Flash and Video Download v. 1.2.1", and it works fine. I'm saving to .flv files and using VLC to play.

Thanks, guys.
  6. Shadow10

Shadow10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what will work with google chrome?
  7. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used Jing for capturing screen videos for a while now. Free version's somewhat limited (10min recording, saves to FLV only), paid one isn't that much and gets you more useable features.

Capture the screen area rather than the stream itself ... might be easier than trying to capture and save the stream. Downside is you'll get all the artifacts and glitchiness if your computer doesn't play back the video nicely.