The Rimfire Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by notarex, Apr 4, 2009.

1. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Henry .22 shot low and left but grouped nicely at 25 yds. The Ruger 10/22 shot low and right at 25 yds also with a decent group . The Model 36 chief put 4 of 5 in an 8" bull at 25 yds. Fun times today.
  2. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:

Two salesman who sold it to me are also gun smiths and they were scratching their heads, off to remington I feel i should get a new gun, I know how these factory fixes go.
  3. Hedge36

Hedge36 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out of the box at 25, 50 and 75 yards (I ran out of gravel pit), mine killed a shit ton of navel oranges this weekend. Best fun money I've spent in a while.
  4. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    We had a "plinking" session at the range Saturday. Lots of fun. The two hits of the day were ice and full pop cans. For the ice, we froze red beer cups full of water and placed the ice on the berm, which is about 60 yards from the shooting positions.
  5. Hedge36

Hedge36 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I was thinking about doing next time - thanks for the tip!
  6. Me and my monkee

Me and my monkee Feels like Jackson Pollock looks

Oddometer:
    Just bought my first handgun (Ruger LC9) a couple of weeks ago and have spent way to much at the range on 9mm, so figured I would buy an inexpensive .22 to save some cash on ammo - if I can find any, but that's a different thread..

Have a couple of options I am looking at. First is a used Astra Constable at a LGS. $250, seems in decent enough shape, some patchiness on the bluing, and mild surface corrosion on the plain steel parts (hammer,trigger etc) but a real neat looking gun. All functions seem to work as expected. Shop policy is they will fix any problems that arise within a reasonable amount of time after the sale.

For the same price though I can get a new Beretta NEOS from Academy - although the local store only has the two tone ($300) at which price point opens up the Browning Buck Mark and S&W equivalent option.

I used to shoot a Ruby (Llama) .22 revolver with my dad way back in my early teens, but never have used a .22 semi auto.

So, what do the experts here think?
  7. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Browning Buckmark and Ruger 22/45 always seem to bubble to the top when folks ask for opinions for their first .22 pistol.
  8. Boondoggle

Boondoggle Nihilism Matters!

Oddometer:
    Or the Walther P22, which some people say can be fussy but I love mine.
  9. Hedge36

Hedge36 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still hovering over the "Buy Now" button for one after weeks of research.
  10. Hog Rider

Hog Rider The Professor Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Romanian M-69 came in. This gun I am putting together to do an upcoming Appleseed event in my area.

This is how it came out of the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on spending a little time working on it... :D

[​IMG]

Like getting all the Cosmoline off ... Then going to try and refinish the stock....
  11. Boondoggle

Oddometer:

One other thought, from my experience- before I bought my LC9, all my shooting was single action revolvers and SA/DA autos. I found that the LC9 is not an easy trigger to get used to (I have whined incessantly on other threads and forums about it) unless you have a lot of DA experience. I've put about 400 rounds thru the Ruger and am just starting to get used to it.

If you are practicing with a .22 to get better with the LC9, maybe someone who has both could suggest a double-action .22 that might be more like the LC9 trigger. I dunno, just a thought- if I'm full of shit I'm sure someone will correct me.

Plus, any .22 with a trigger like the LC9 should be pretty damn inexpensive, I would think :augie

oh and hedge, pilot hit the nail on the head in this thread- the p22 is slightly fussy about ammo, but the big trick is in how you clean it. Any excess oil or crud leaves you with feeding, firing, and ejection problems- and I think a clean pistol with too much oil is worse than a dirty pistol. I haven't gone to the powder lubricant yet but just an extra patch through it before going to shoot make a big difference.
  12. Hedge36

Hedge36 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  13. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Same here with my p22 . It will eat federal bulk with no problem don't like Rem white box stuff . I have about 2000 rounds thru mine and it shoots great. Short barrel w/ lazer . Of course my old ruger MK II target model that hasn't been taken down in 20 years will shoot anything. :deal
    Hawk has a Sig 22 that won't run a mag thru without a stoppage of some kind. Pisses Hottie off to no end :rofl:rofl
  14. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Sig mosquito is the pickiest gun I've ever owned. I found that cci blazer works extremely well. Remington thunderbolts are also good rounds. The gun should have come with two springs. Use the lighter of the two. Once everything is dialed in, and with the right ammo the gun is very fun to shoot.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
  15. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Ruger SR22 a couple weeks ago and so far no issues feeding Federal, Winchester, or Blazer bulk. The Blazers gave me the tightest groups. The Sr22 doesn't group as well as my 22/45 (no surprise given the barrell length) but it fits my small hands better and is a hell of a lot easier to break down. Along those lines, I installed an aftermarket hammer bushing in the 22/45 last night to get rid of the mag disconnect. Makes reassembly a lot easier and the mags now pop out better. Best $10 I've spent recently.
  16. Me and my monkee

Me and my monkee Feels like Jackson Pollock looks

Oddometer:
    I went back to look at the Astra, but ended up deciding against it. The corrosion on the unprotected metal was a little worse that I had thought, and the screw holding the grip on was completely brown. I worried about how inside parts must have been affected. Also the $250 firm price tag put it too close to brand new guns.

I also decided not to get a target style pistol too.

I seriously considered the SR22, P22 and the Sig Mosquito. All could be found locally for $320-330.

But I went with a Bersa Thunder .22 Bought local for $329 which pretty much matched Buds online price plus the FFL transfer fee. I read far fewer negative reviews about the Bersa than the other options. I was almost ready to buy the Sig, but having to use specific ammo, especially when ANY ammo is so hard to find right now, turned me off.
  17. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my Neos for plinking, but as others have said, if you are using it as a trainer for your LC9 you should go with something similar. I would think the SR22 would be the closest for similar feel and controls layout. I have several friends with P22s and they all like them. SR22 has some great reviews too.
  18. xshanex

xshanex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why no love for the S&W m&P .22? My mother picked one up as a trainer for her full size and its a great little gun that eats everything.
  19. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    Monkee that's actually a really good find. I don't have the Bersa .22 but I have a Bersa 9mm that I love- not elegant like a Kimber or Sig but a very nice pistol. The Thunder .22 is DA/SA, right? If the DA is anything like my 9's DA pull it will be good practice for the LC9 (ie- long, awkward, strange). On the other hand my UC9's SA trigger is just a joy to shoot.

I'm interested to hear how you like the Bersa .22 as you go along, please keep us posted.
  20. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    /yawn yet another 10/22

I only started my gun obsession a few years ago, and learned very quickly how expensive it is.

So this is going to be my range toy.

I bought a new blued 10/22, going to add this stock setup:
    Blackhawk Axiom R/F Ruger 10/22 Rifle Stock
    [​IMG]

Going to add this scope: (as a result from reading this thread, thanks!)
    BSA Optics Sweet 22 3-9x40 w/Side Focus/Standard Duplex Reticle - Matte Black
    [​IMG]

I also picked up 4 10rd mags, I can't find this one anywhere, it's all sold out. :(:
    [​IMG]

I also had a hell of a time just finding ammoe. I finally hit on some Cabelas stuff, picked up 15 boxes of 325rds for 15.99/box. W.T.F. Hopefully this current ammoe/gun availability will die down soon.

Well, that's all I got. Just patiently waiting for all the stuff in the mail. Total should be around 7-800 bucks. Will post up when I have it together.

Cause I know you guys are all just dying for a photo of another 10/22. :lol3