Tracks in NW South Carolina

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by blimpman, Sep 28, 2006.

1. blimpman

blimpman Fla Trail & Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Looking for some tracks in NW S.Carolina near the Greenville area. Anyone have any? Ride area recomendations?

Thanks In Advance!
  2. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    The Southern Blue Ridge Escarpment
    Some of the best riding in the South is located along the SouthCarolina/North Carolina state line in the mountainous part of the state. This area, bordered on the South by SC Scenic Highway 11, to the East by I-26, to the North by Highway 64 , and to the West by Highway 28, is dominated by the Southern Blue Ridge Escarpment. An escarpment is defined as a long continuos cliff caused by erosion or upheaval. The roads in this area that run between SC and NC are all a blast to ride and some of them are as challenging as any that can be found in our country. Starting at the eastern end, at the intersection of SC 11 and I-26, go north on I-26, you will soon see the signs warning truckers about the upcoming grade (the Saluda Grade). Because of the engineering challenges, the Saluda Grade was the last portion of I-26 to be completed. The road here widens to give the truckers an extra slow lane and is made up of a series of high speed sweepers (if you have the power). My favorite part of this ride is at the top where you can look to the left and see most of the northern part of SC. The next road, US 176, is a narrow winding 2 lane road. While 176 does not feature any terrific views, there are some beautiful little towns along the route. US 176 was the detour for 1-26 while the highway up the Saluda Grade was completed. I traveled over it several times (in the car with my parents) until the interstate was finished more than 30 years ago. When I drove up 176 last summer, it seemed as though time had stopped in the early 70's (after I-26 opened). The next road to the West is US 25. US 25 is a major traffic route for citizens of the Greenville, SC area who are heading north. The road is interstate quality with some good views and many pretty farms and homes along the way. This is probably a good time to talk about SC Scenic Highway 11. This road runs along the base of the escarpment for 70 miles. The highlight of the ride along of SC 11 is the spectacular cliff formations that are visible to the North as you travel along the highway. Also, one of SC's best parks, Table Rock State Park,on SC 11. SC 11 is not a challenging road - no twisties or real elevation changes. A hot spot for SC biker's for years has been US 276 between SC 11 and Brevard, NC. This highway is a 2 lane road, paved many years ago. There are many tight switchbacks as the road goes through considerable changes in elevation. Again, you go through some small towns where it seems like time has stood still. The road goes through Ceasar's Head State Park and the overlook at the top, "Bald Rock" is worth stopping for. Next road to the West is US 178. Highway 178 runs from Rosman, NC down to SC 11. It is similar in character to 276 but the road is in better shape. I recently went through this route with group and we had a great time playing in the twisties. One warning - traveling south from Rosman, just as you cross the state line, 178 opens up and flattens out for about 1/2 mile. It is really tempting to put the hammer down in this section, especially if you are behind others in your group. However, the SC State Patrol likes to station one of their finest in a special pursuit Camaro to help control speeds in this area. Beware the bear. SC 130 and SC 107 are 2 more roads that climb the escarpment. There is a beautiful waterfall off 130 you can see if you don't mind a short hike. If you go all the way up 130, it changes to NC 281 as you cross the SC/NC state line. Highway 107 is an old road and is not as spectacular as some of the other roads in in the area. I like it because of the town at the intersection of 107 and 64, Cashiers, NC. There is a gas station/resturant there with some of the best hot dogs I have had. Last on my list is my favorite, Highway 28. The good part of this road actually starts in Walhalla, SC at the Steakhouse Cafeteria (sorry - no steaks). North from Walhalla, the road travels up and down several ridges and includes nearly every combination of turn you could imagine. Traffic is normally light and I have traveled the complete section from Walhalla to Highlands, NC without being slowed by cage traffic. One piece of advice - Highlands is a favorite spot for the NC jet set. Traffic there can be heavy on the weekends. The shops are nice but the price is high. If you have your significant other with you, and stop here, it might be expensive ;O). BTW, if you really feel like riding, 28 goes all the way to Deal's Gap, ending at the intersection 28 US 129 - the start of the "Dragon". I have used this route to the "Gap" several times and it is never boring.
  3. Canned Soup

Canned Soup The Itenerate Engineer

Oddometer:
    Upstate SC, today Lyman, tomorrow Greenville
    Whats your style? DS or twisted pavement. When do you want to ride? Fall, Winter, Spring, effects the possible routes, how many days you got. The wilderness should have just opened for a month, not harder than a GS can handle but better only available for a limited time. Opens again in spring. When will you be around? I have a few rides out of greenville for dual sport that include back roads. Can't get anywhere without pavement anymore. I also have some rides in the region, smokies, blueridge, pisgah, North Georgia, and starting to develop some up near Marion NC. How can you handle the info, garmin or streets and trips? A lot of questions but, I've got various routes spread of a bunch of mapsource files that require routing software, even a few tracks. Could be forced to go out and run some if tracks or needed, but if you are gona be around, I could show you on maps or in person.

I just put the knobbies back on the DR after running SM/dirttrack setup for the summer. Bout to go out and play in the fun stuff.

dave
  4. gozone

gozone piddler extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    hey Andy, I hit your ride several weeks ago on the way over to Chattanooga. Unbelieveable. I ride mostly around Boone, Blowing Rock so Highlands and West is new to me. Weather was a bit crap but scenery was just perfect and the fishing wasnt bad either. I took some detours around Wesser and found some nice roads. Ill post the tracks.

Chris
  5. mpbigham

mpbigham sweet burn

Oddometer:
    Columbia here, my grandma lives in greenville, this spring i'm taking leave and am going to come up there and stay for a few days to a week. i ride a sportbike, but i can do ~week long trips, just cant do the dirt :(
  6. Canned Soup

Canned Soup The Itenerate Engineer

Oddometer:
    Upstate SC, today Lyman, tomorrow Greenville
    bigham,
    we have some nice twisties. go out thru pumkin town, catch 178 to rosman and find 64, go left to 215 and follow that to the parkway. at the parkway, use your imagination, north, south, they are all good. Or go straight until you hit 276 near waynesville, hang a right and head back to greenville, it takes your thru brevard, watch out for the changes in brevard. 276 goes over ceasers head and back to greenville. thats a 2-3 hour sportbike ride with about as many sportbike roads around. The fun is found on the road out of marrietta thru pumkin town, all the way back to the bottom of ceasers head. in brevard you have to go thru town so that gets a tad boring so i stop for food.

On another day you can check out the watershed up to saluda and down the saluda grade. short ride I'm afraid and a bit slow.

On another day you can head towards walhalla and 28 to highlands, warwoman road just across the state line to clayton ga.

Avoid to much on 64, to many retirees and contractor trucks.

keeps me entertained.
    dave
  7. Dirtgeek

Dirtgeek Guest

yup, what all of the above said. pick up a SC Gazetteer...........and a NC Gazetteer as well and go crazy.

good luck.

al:1drink
  8. sturnbow

sturnbow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you aware of any single track between Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC? I live in Greenville, SC.

Thanks