Shinko 705's

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Big_John, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Shinko 712's on the Strom right now and they are proving to be darn good tires.

Wonder what anyone thinks about Shinko's new....705's?????

[​IMG]
  2. Goofy1

Goofy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My local guy says he won't be able to get these till June. I was looking for reviews as well.
  3. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    What kind of life are you getting out of the 712's & do you have the Vee or the Wee

5. Goofy1

Goofy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Distributor says the first load of 705's is on the boat heading this way. Should have a set in about 2-3 weeks.
  6. dsm_rally

dsm_rally The Lorax

Oddometer:
  7. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Motorcycle Superstore is now listing these for $44 for a front 110/80-19 and $56 for a rear 150/70-17, plus shipping. Not available yet, but at least they're up on the site, and those prices are great. I'm looking forward to trying a set. I hope they don't suck.

--mark
  8. inire

inire Browncoat symp

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. Northwoods Yeti

Northwoods Yeti Almost house broken

Oddometer:
    705's tube or tubeless?
  10. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on the size, I believe. The 110 and 150 ones are tubeless.

--mark
  11. SilentRay

SilentRay Wheres that go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish i would have waited on ordering a rear Tourance for the Wee. Didn't know Shinko came out with the 705 till a few days ago. To me the 712 wasn't quite aggressive enough for what i want.

My son in law run the Ravens on his Busa. He put over 3k on them before he traded it in for a GSA, and said they showed very little wear and was very happy with them. Two weeks ago i put a set on (Ravens) the wife's Ninja 650r and we're both real impressed with how they ride and fell in curves, rough roads, and gravel. I've been running the 244's (around town/dirt roads) on the DR650 for several months and after 3,700 miles i've just about worn the rear out. Front tire still has another 3-4k left. (I've trained myself to mainly use the rear brake and use the front only when needed, so the tread blocks are still just as even as when it was new). IMO Shinko is putting out a very good tire, whether street or dirt.

Overall, i'm sold on them . As much as we ride, we can't afford to pay $150-160 per tire. We'll still get just about as many "good" miles out of the Shinko's. Between saving a good bit of $ on tires and mounting/balancing them myself, we're saving a bundle. The extra money goes in the tank.
  12. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    These appear to be available on the motorcycle Superstore website now, but prices are listed a bit higher then you posted, although still not bad at all. Shinko 705. And actually, the threads I saw on the Vstrom board put these at $145 shipped. This comes out to $128 shipped to my door so even cheaper then we thought!

If the rear gets me 6k-8k miles and decent grip in the wet and gravel, I will be more then pleased. That's less then half the cost of Anakee's ($266) or Tourances ($290) shipped from the same place.

It would probably be worth it to order 2 rears and 1 front all at the same time.

110/80Q-19-TL - $55.99 (Actually listed in the same drop down as the rear)
    150/70Q-17-TL - $71.99

71.99 + 55.99 = $127.98. This qualifies for free shipping so that is is $127.98 to my door! :thumb
  13. inire

inire Browncoat symp

Oddometer:
    wayall crap on a stick: I couldn't wait for the 705s to drop so ordered a K761. As luck would have it the production line @ Kenda was apparently overcome by a great melancholy while they digested Michael Alan Weiner's crisis WRT the tyranny of blah blah blah. Anyway, the Kenda is late and now MSS has the friggin 705. Poo.:dog
  14. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep that sucks, I was waiting on these but needed tires so I got my ANakee 2's last week. I could have gotten two sets of the 705s for the same price :(
  15. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I needed a new rear for a trip I'm leaving for on Friday, so a new BattleWing arrived yesterday. Figures.

I'll be curious to read the reviews on the 705s once people start using them.

--mark
  16. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Okay, I just went ahead and ordered 1 front and 2 rears. :evil For that price, its worth it. My total with those 3 tires was $199.97. $.03 shy of $200. I went ahead and added a $1.99 Replacement Drink Valve for JP3 Suit - SKU# 184751. This put me over $200 and then I was able to use Coupon Code - C509CPNPAGE20 for $20 off $200 or more.

My shipped total was $181.96 for 3 tires! :deal :thumb

There is a $5 coupon code off $100 if you just order two tires. - C509CPNPAGE5

[Edit] I just brought my order up to verify and the 3 tires say "On Order" vs "In Stock". Hmm, I might have to call them and see whats up with that? Their web page says in stock for these tires. It did have a delivery date of May 21st when I first checked out. I'll update this as I find out more.
  17. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Okay, I just called and she said tires show up as "On Order" when they come from one of their warehouses and since UPS classifies them as "oversize" they have to go by truck which takes a bit longer. We'll see how soon I get them. Crossing my fingers for the best.

I'll be leaving for a trip on my Vstrom at the end of June. I'll spoon these on at the beginning of June and give an update then.
  18. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info, we are definitely looking forward to some reviews.
  19. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry The most suave of stooges

Oddometer:
    I just bought a set for my Wee-Strom.

Frankly, at that price, I couldn't resist!

They should arrive later this month (05/22).
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    wow, that's cheaper than i expected.
    quality rubber/compounds cost $...
    and thus i'm not expecting much rear life from these.
    i do like the look of the tread!

similar thing happened with rear maxxis detours.
    great tread, cheap prices, life sucked...and then they pulled the tire.

now this front tire could be very usefull:
    [​IMG]

tread could have enough bite to be effective on dirt.
    even if the life is less than others, fronts usally go 2x vrs rear life, so these could be a 1 to 1 usefull with a tourance or anakee rear.

guess on the flip side the rear could match a 1 to 1 (3-4k mi aprox) with a tck-80 front, for a nice combo

i'm really interested in seeing what those heidenau k60 will sell for this summer.