Talk me out of this.............

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by VMO, Oct 19, 2012.

1. VMO

VMO Farmer Warrior

Oddometer:
    .............. or, tell me this a great idea!

Thinking of buying a new BMW S1000RR :norton

Anyone have personal experience w/ this bike? Or is the CBR1000RR nearly as good for a slightly lower price?

:ear
  2. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:

planning on doing some trackdays are we??
  3. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a great bike, especially for the price. The Honda is also a great bike (really almost all the brands are), but the BMW has the options for TC and all of that, which is a great safety bonus. Out of all the literbikes, if I was looking for a sportbike like that, the best (meaning most fun) one I've ridden is the Aprilia RSV4 Factory. That would be my current choice (bearing in mind that I haven't ridden the new Ducati 1199 Panigale yet, and would have to give that a fair shot).

PhilB
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go ahead. You will be pleased with the bike.
  5. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Money no object liter bike for me? 2012 RC8.

If it was my money, 2012 GSXR 1000, CBR1000RR, or R1.
  6. motoracer51

motoracer51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you honestly plan on doing track days, or have great twisties nearby, it's and awesome bike.

If not, then consider other bikes. I've have one, and after 50 miles I want to park it. Riding it makes me think about my freedom, license, and my family. It is that fast.

I've been riding sport bikes fir 20+ years - since I was 16. I raced for 5 years, 4 of them expert, and even holding and AMA pro card.

It's an awesome bike, the best IMHO (I've ridden the Ape and the Panigale). Just bear in mind it is NARROWLY focused. I'm thinking of trading mine in for a sport tourer
  7. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude the Good Knievel

Oddometer:
    How big are you?

I'm 6'2. I put about 25 miles on one at a demo day. Hated it. Couldn't wait to get off it. A pure torture rack.

I lean more towards a K1300, K1600GT, Concours14, ZX-14, Busa.

No doubt it will rip though.
  8. motoracer51

motoracer51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you're asking me or the OP. I'm 143 lbs and 5'8". Loved mine on the test ride. Started to think I bought the wrong bike as I rode it more and more.

It's an awesome bike. Just that my riding preferences have changed, and the roads out here are ok at best. Too fast to be fun and remain relatively safe.
  9. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've tested them at the track...

The BMW, no doubt about it, I wouldn't think about it twice. The CBR 1000 has the same funky ergos I don't like about my 600RR, but I can live with that. It's just the way the bike rides, and the power, and the electronics and the ergos... LOL!

On top of that, the BMW can make for a very good street bike, unlike more track oriented bikes, like the RSV4.

The only other bike that comes close to the BMW, IMHO, is the Kawa ZX-10R... Which I would never buy just because it's a Kawasaki, and my past experiences with Kawasaki have been... bad.
  10. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ridden one? I've testridden the standard RC8 twice, and didn't like it. The ride in 2010 showed that they had paid some attention; it was better than the ride in 2008 had been. But it still had a long way to go compared to the Ducatis, or any of the fours. Although I haven't ridden an RC8R yet (and definitely want to, as the reviews say that version has fixed most of the things I didn't like about the standard RC8).

PhilB
  11. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll either tickle your speed itch, or be a huge regret. I find no middle ground with this bike.
  12. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'll modify my answer a bit. Counter to what many here are saying, if I was looking to get a liter-class sportbike and was going to use it for a wide variety of uses, the BMW might well get the nod. I've ridden it three times, and found it highly capable and versatile. I'm physically not big, and found that it was pretty comfy and it felt like I could do long days on it. Large people (apparently) don't find it comfy, but those people will likely find its competitors to be even worse. If I was looking to get a liter-class sportbike strictly for sporting and trackdays, and had other bikes for other purposes -- well what I actually plan to do for that is get a nice Ducati 998, but for a new bike -- I'd be sure to test the 1199 Panigale and the RC8R first to be sure, but odds are it would be the RSV4. I've ridden both the RSV4R and the RSV4 Factory, and liked the Factory better, so I'd probably plump for a top version with all the nice bits. YM(and budget)MV.

PhilB
  13. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden the other bikes mentioned, just a friends S1000RR.

It's got all kinds of "electric nannies" to protect you from yourself, including an adjustable traction control, an optional shifter so you don't have to release your clutch hand from the bars, etc.

I got on a fairly straight piece of highway. At about 100 MPH, downshifted a couple of gears, and nailed it. The rate of acceleration and the power needed to stay holding onto the bars was amazing. A quick look down, saw 160, and it's STILL pulling ridiculously hard. At 170 it's still pulling hard, but I suddenly remembered seeing those smears of red on the highway after car/deer encounters, and figured I'd tested it enough.

Oh, and that straight highway wasn't as straight as I thought it was. And now I understand why you don't want to let go of the bars to shift.

But I never really felt unsafe on that bike, regardless of speed. So, can't compare it to the Honda, all I can say is the BMW is one hell of a bike.
  14. VMO

VMO Farmer Warrior

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the CBR but not the S1000RR. I am 6 ft, 215 lbs and the CBR riding position was OK. What I have read about the BMW leads me to believe it is quite a machine for $16k. I plan on using it for a variety of purposes including occasional commuting although I have an 800XC as a primary commuter bike. Any comments about S1000RR reliability? That could be something that would change my mind toward something else.
  15. single

single Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW dealers are usually pretty great about demo rides. Stop by and see if you can take one for a spin or even overnight.

Personally I think the most important thing with a modern liter bike is your own comfort on it. Unless you are doing 100MPH+ full throttle runs often, you won't notice the difference in power. Honda is offering some nice incentives right now on their bikes as the riding season is winding down, I think I've seen 1000RR for 2-3 grand off MSRP. The BMWs are still in demand so I haven't seen as many deals on them.

Personally for my money I'd spend a little more and go with an RSV4. I'm waiting on the updated ergos and ABS for the 2013 model.
  16. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I ahvent ridden it..this si purely emotional lust for the bike.

What did you not like about the RC8?
  17. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    for an inline four s1k is the one to get. its really docile around town and at low speeds. with some helibars it's comfy enough to go on trips. a friend who owns one is 6'2". he lowered the pegs bout 1/2 ". he is fine with the ergos despite having knee surgery years ago

I raised the pegs on mine with rearsets. Im 5'9"

I think Rsv4 is a better track weapon and rc8r a better handling bike but s1k is the best compromise of them all. it's also the HP king

you get a 3 year warranty for the beemer too

you can tell where bmw saved money....thinner paint/coating on cheaper wheels, cheaper plastic trim piece but it is stuff you won't notice when you are riding this fantastic machine
  18. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are my write-ups from each ride. First ride, 2008:
    Second ride 2010:
    PhilB
  19. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Phil, I have to disagree with you on the looks, but thats ok..its a subjective area, so there SHOULD be differing opinions. I too noticed the edge of the seat, the hardness didnt bother me...sitting in the showroom.

I cant comment on the riding experience. Maybe I should show up on my Ninja 650(5th bike Ive owned..) and ask for a test ride..lol. That way I can comment on it.
  20. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the dealers, but KTM is pretty active with a testride demo truck; it shows up at a lot of bike shows and events. You probably could get its schedule online and arrange to go to it somewhere, if the local dealer isn't good with testrides. I *very* firmly believe in testrides these days, and would never buy a bike without a good ride or two on it beforehand.

PhilB