One pair of underwear.....5 days.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by burmbuster, Nov 13, 2012.

1. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I broke down and paid the $25 for a pair of Exofficio boxer briefs. Tried them out on my 5 day Texas trip. The wife thought I was kidding and just laughed when I told her I was gonna wear them for 5 days. I actually also took 2 regular pair in case things didnt go well. After 5 days they still had life left in them. They were not funky and were still comfortable. I also wore the same pair of jeans for 5 days. Socks were worn 2 days each pair and I wore the same t-shirt for two days at a time.
    So now, I am getting another pair of the Exofficio's and that will be all the underwear I need. I just need to find a good pair of socks now.:clap
  2. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    Wool is an amazing material - hydrophobic and doesn't retain funk. Buy socks with the highest wool content possible.
  3. Mike91

Mike91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got 4 pairs of ExOfficio boxer briefs. When I'm traveling, I try to rotate them a bit, wash them in sinks, or wherever I find water. They really are pretty great. I've got a couple of the T shirts as well, same material.
  4. DrZrider

DrZrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like to cycle thru my 2 pairs of exofficio on longer trips. Worked great for 6 months of hiking (washed them whenever I went to town.) After a while the stink drives away all the critters trying to steal your food. :thumb
  5. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awsome info. I will start a search for the ultimate socks!:D
  6. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats my plan. Cycle thru 2 pair. Wash when the opportunity arises. Anything that saves room in the panniers is well worth it.
  7. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    From the last time we had this thread I went and ordered bamboo briefs straight from China (through e-bay). They ended up being "Liuao" brand briefs, and they work just as well at not getting funky.

They seem the same in cuts and stitching as what is currently offered, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Loose-b...nderwear&var=600060756765&hash=item4608a500ee , but with a more toned-down look to them

I'm impressed.

If I had my choice, I'd go with wool for cooler weather, and the silk-like bamboo for summer weather.
  8. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Yep, you can travel indefinitely with 2 pairs of those boxers. They pack down to nothing, too.
  9. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    I've got two pairs of ExOfficio shorts, they work well.

For those who have a Marshalls or TJ Max in the area, I got a set of UnderArmor boxers that fit me better and are more comfortable / supportive on the bike, and dry just as quickly.

$9 (IIRC) compared to the $26 the Ex Officios cost locally leaves my wallet a bit heavier, so maybe not as weight saving :rofl

For further weight savings, here in SE Asia I've switched to mostly technical wear like EMS Techwick lightweight short and long sleeve Ts. These roll up into very small packages, maybe twice the size of the boxers, and don't take much longer to dry.
    For shorts I also use EMS hiking / all purpose shorts. One set in particular is very lightweight, and can be worn without briefs as they have a built in liner. Also dry very quickly, maybe just a bit longer than the briefs.
    All this stuff breathes very well, and moves sweat from the skin well.

I just returned from a trip of several days using just my laptop backpack as luggage. I doubt my clothing took up more space than a loaf of bread, and I had a fair bit of clothing: two shorts, 3 boxers, 3 or 4 shirts, and I could have done with much less if on a bike tour.
    Only shoes were a pair of Teva Fi 3s, that get used for running, walking, riding the rental bike, swimming (coral and sea urchins necessitate footwear), eating out and the rest.

I caught a ferry to the island, rented a bike for $6/day there, and rode around in shorts, sandals and tshirt for a few days. Helmet plus strap sandals = island ATGATT...

Similar gear can be found in the action wear sections of TJ Max and Marshalls, and I tend to buy stuff at the local Eastern Mountain Sports when they have a sale on.

Of course I have the advantage of riding in an area where temperatures vary from about 70 to 90 or so, and very seldom either side of that even at night, so warm clothing is not a priority.
  10. mark1150

mark1150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WARNING THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS EITHER LEGEND, FOLKLORE OR SCIENCE!

Re the socks stinking to high heaven, I understand that if you seal your used socks in a plastic bag for 48 hrs after use, the bacteria that causes them to smell will also work with you by digesting the said nasties (in essence self cannibalizing) while in the sealed bag leaving them fresh for re use.

I've never tried this myself, but would be interested to hear if it is legend or actual science?
  11. ET-VT

ET-VT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have three pairs of Darn Tough Over-The-Calf Ultra-Light socks that are basically the only socks I've ridden with for the past two years. I've worn them for a week straight in Costa Rica, with temps up around 100°F and numerous water crossings. They're probably good to about 40°F under Sidi On-Road Gore-Tex boots.

I also do the two pairs of shorts (LD Comfort), alternating one day on and one day off and (hopefully) getting a good rinse in the evenings. If it's not raining, I'll put yesterdays items under the cargo net on the top of my MotoFizz bag to air out for a day.
  12. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    And you find the UnderArmor boxers to have the same multi-day bacterial/stink fighting quality? What are they made of?

I own UnderArmor shirts and they get rank. That's just not what these guys are looking for.
  13. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are the most comfortable socks I have ever worn, and they're long enough for tall boots:

[​IMG]

Currently on sale for $10
  14. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oooooo! Yuck! Don't know if I want to try that one.
  15. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will see what material they use.
  16. dualsportride

dualsportride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya I have also heard that setting them out in the sun will break down the bacteria that produces the smell sounds like a better idea. Have you ever forgot to take your socks out of your gear back after a good ride and just one day later you open that zipper and that stench hits you I would think the zip lock would do the same.
  17. HelmetHead Cycle

HelmetHead Cycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't think I woulda told that.
  18. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    Smartwool socks are super comfortable and don't get as funky as some. The ones made for skiing are generally my favorite, they are comfy, padded in the right areas, and they stay up on your calf without sagging.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear Merino wool socks everyday, and they are supremely comfortable. They wick well, and as you noted, don't seem to retain odor like most fabric.

Mine aren't long enough to prevent my boots from being in contact with bare skin, which is icky when it's hot. Also most socks can sag while you are wearing them, which these over the calf socks don't.
  20. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    I know a few squaddies who swear by the plastic bag method. I have tried it and found that provided the socks are dry when you put them away, they smell a bit better. They're certainly not "daisy fresh" when you get them out. At least, not with my feet bacteria.
    :puke1