Two Moto Kiwis Arctic To Antarctic May 2012...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Two Moto Kiwis, May 8, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    .....Julio says it is cheaper to buy a place here rather than just keeping coming back again and again:rofl

So after our wee get off life has been interesting considering we (me) are doing very little.

Highlight of my day is lunchtime and tea time, we have also been doing two hours each day Spanish so this is good and take my mind off my ribs but I find it uncomfortable sitting so I move around a lot.

Maya was safely delivered by Gene and Neda who are normally seen riding the GS’s. Nedas bike needed servicing in Guatemala City so Gene cadged a ride with Julio who kindly offered a seat while Neda followed behind on her bike.

Dropping her bike at the dealership they both piled onto Maya, this worked out well for them as Gene does not have a passenger seat on his GS and it worked well for us to get Maya back in our possession, a HUGE thanks to Victor for looking after her.

Something happened to Maya in Guatemala City and the rear brake decided it did not want to leave town and started making smoke signals which is a bumma, seems that moisture from humidity in the brake fluid was the culprit so new pads, new oil and a good clean out and we will be up and running ... not that I can use the bike anyway.

HUGE thanks to Gene and Julio, really appreciate the team effort to get her back here and I promise not to post any pictures of Gene on the KTM ... other than these ones. :evil

Concentrated look

[​IMG]

I was the guide boy .... dunno what I could have done if Gene let her go :rofl

[​IMG]

Squeezed through the entrance

[​IMG]

All the way to the back courtyard

[​IMG]

So at our place we are staying I am relaxing and resting, every morning we go for a walk to get circulation going which is great, a walk to the market or town centre, the market is a cool place where you can buy anything .. except a camera tripod.

Ellens training coming into full flight here

[​IMG]

A reminder and pisstake on Cuba ... very appropriate :clap

[​IMG]

This place is CHOCA with fruit and veges, prices ranges dramatically depending on the day and who is serving you, some see whites fellas and go ca-ching and others are asking their usual prices.

[​IMG]

Every afternoon the clouds gather and have a scrap, mum nature lets us know she is in control with thunder and lightning served up in generous proportions, in New Zealand this is rare, in Guatemala this is everyday in the rainy season.

From the "sun" deck

[​IMG]

See the layers here, just stunning

[​IMG]

A couple of minute up here is as good a world class movie with swirls and changing clouds and Huey taking photos of earth

[​IMG]

There have been many parades and celebrations, Guatemalans love blowing shit up and everyday there are huge booms which makes one jump if you are not ready for them.

This was a dance on the street, check out their masks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In house here we have a big rabbit who is a real friendly bugger and loves to try and trip you up, who needs a watch dog with a daunting face like this.

He is whiter than me!! :D:D

[​IMG]

Last Saturday evening we got an email from Phil and Jane on the Ultimate Ride, they were in Antigua for two nights so we caught up with them which was so cool.

Given they only had two nights we organized a dinner at a restaurant called “Por Que No”, which translates to “Why Not” on the Sunday evening.

It was quite the gathering with Gene and Neda, Phil and Jane, Ellen and I and Julio (unfortunately Luiosa was in Guatemala City with work)

We are not sure why but Nedas meal came our first, so with no guilt we said get into it and don't wait for us ..... well she did ....and it smelt great

[​IMG]

The team, from the left, Jane and bro Phil, me, Gene, Neda, Ellen and Julio

[​IMG]

Gene recklessly graffiting the hat :wink:

[​IMG]

We showed them “the hat” that started a two page war on our ride report against Voodoodaddy who was offended, it was agreed unanimously he was a dick, obviously the mods thought so too as he is permabanned.

So in good spirits Team Phil and Jane as well as team lightcycle - Gene and Neda signed the other hat ... now there are scrawlings from three dodgy adventure bikers there is no other real estate left in there to graffiti in.

Look inside and you will see the sigs

[​IMG]

Good times guys and a great catchup ... may the slow race continue, Gene and Neda no more cheating going around the block to Cuba and back again :rofl:rofl.

Also in my time to think about life for a while I got to thinking about facts and figures, at the end of my ribs saga in say 2.5 weeks time which will be 6 weeks we have had 18 weeks off the road to failures.

We lost 6 weeks out of the first six months to the DR 650s casing fups by Suzuki and we lost 6 weeks to Ellens crash and regroup and now 6 weeks to my ribs.

In a very strange sorta way we are very lucky considering a lot of people don’t actually have 18 weeks to travel let lone have 18 weeks to recover and get over fails with motorcycle and bodies.

So at 400 days now on the road we have had around 126 days off...without sick pay :huh:eek1, so more than a quarter of the time, this is something we had not factored into our trip so our best plan was to have no plan which has worked out well.

Where is this going? .. buggered if I know but I was just thinking about it so I guess anyone considering a RTW trip just think a little more about possible illness or crashes, don’t base your trip around it but place it in the back of your mind.

The consequences of this is we are obviously miles behind where we thought we were going to be, theoretically we should be down in South America around Peru or so, at this point we have not made it half way and we are dead set into the rainy season which or course has other bonuses and trials.

That concludes what has been happening to date, next update when something exciting happens although life has still been great despite me single handedly keeping the Guatemalan medical profession from going into recession.

Luv to all.
  2. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Paracematol (Panadol)??? With Codeine???....:evilOr Naproxen w/codeine??? Got a big shot of that last year, had to drag myself to the hospital first but instant relief.:clap I sure can rate codeine, only thing that worked for me for them raging rum hangovers. Evil Lamb's Navy,:evil had to go beg our British captain for some codeine back then. No drugs....no lunch for you Captain.:rofl Oh well, he did it to us dropping that bottle on the mess table after supper.:1drink
  3. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple of pics from Maya's perspective to fill in the gaps in Andi's report:

[​IMG]
    Two Moto Canucks, back in the saddle!

The rest of the report will now be written in Kiwi, so the New Zealanders will understand it.

Kia Ora, blimey mate, put another shrimp on the barbie and pass the Coors, go Manchester!!! ;)

[​IMG]

Croikey dick, the rear brake's done near knackered! I give the old gal a bit of a kick and whadayaknow, Bob's yer uncle and everything's a box of budgies! I'm feeling pretty chuffed and Neda pipes up with an ole, "Good on ya, mate!" so hooray to Guatemala City! We spend a few moments dodging lorries on the roadway, had to tella few to "NAFF OFF" but we got to Antigua all home'n hosed and just in time for tea! Phew, I could really go for a vegemite sarnie, right about now!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  4. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl. I hope Andi's ribs hurt from laughing. :d
  5. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hiya Guys, This is all so phuckin beautiful. I spewed with the bunny pic.

I demand more, lots more ,over the hills, keep going. Don't let fear and common sense dictate your white bum.

lovin it.
  6. TellicoADVTrail

TellicoADVTrail If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prolly a little late on the response (I've been riding for 11 days, gimme a break). But that is soooo funny to see you with Gene and Neda, who I've also been following since they started.. groove on you four..:clap

Also, Gene's look seems to be "holy shit this is light and has a lot of power.. "
  7. SkycamNZ

SkycamNZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl You've captured the Kiwi lingo well and truly! Excellent commentary. :clap
  8. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    .... well it suits you sir and siress ...you look quite at home there :D
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    .... it is quite funny she made YOU bow to her as well, I thought we had preferential treatment :eek1
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Actually most of what he said here I had to put into Google translate and it came back with Austradian ...... you just canrt trust those two moto canamericans :D

The funny thing was in chattin bout boikes I foolishly stated that with all the goodies we had got down from the US we had clobbered Maya's bad habits induced by the PO, I was proud sittin there saying that.

With Genes riding ability and the timing of bringing her back from Guatemala City ....what can possibly go wrong :wink:

As Murphy would have yes Maya stamped her feet and got grumpy with Gene and the rear brake did something kinda silly.

Bottom line is some ill adjustment on the pushrod by P/O meant the piston was being held about 5 mm further up not allowing backflow and there was some moisture in the master cylinder suspect from humidity here in Central America.

[​IMG]

The combo of the two saw the pads smoked and the trailing edge of the piston pad take off and go on holiday somewhere in Guatemala.

[​IMG]

Pistons and all working fine, nothing sticky so a good system clean, pop all pistons out and clean, dry fresh oil and correct adjustment I hope we have cured that problem.

We are going to flush the front brake and clutch to so we then know where we are at.

A huge thanks still to Gene and Julio and apologies to Gene for the incident with the rear brake....we are making it up to them by slowly torturing them with Sushi :rofl
  11. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Arnie ..... I did laugh and yeap it did hurt but was worth every bit. :rofl

Gene did a perfect job of translating the issue other than the Ozzie slant .... I am surprised Craig Idema and the Ozzie contingent from AZ haven't piled on here.

Interesting yesterday at Sushi Sabado (Sushi Saturday) I found an interesting product ..... now I ain't gonna ask too many questions here but plastic wrapper for Kangeroos .... nothing like that in New Zealand :eek1 :evil

[​IMG]

:hide
  12. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    HA... there will be more once we start doing some interesting stuff again ... it is pretty hard to hype up broken ribs :rofl:rofl

As for the bunny ... there is a lot of Sushi in them there hind quarters :wink: :D .... but we will prolly stick to takin photos only I think :evil

Coming up to week four on Tuesday for the ribs and things are starting to settle a little :clap:clap ... got a head cold now to compliment the ribs and a few sneaky unwelcomed sneezes but at this stage not as bad as the first week :eek1 :eek1

Hi to the crew Too Mike :clap
  13. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Pete ... he did do a goud juob eh, he haas ofcoarse beean to New Zealand and got soume praktice on our gearls ..... :evil
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Nah man just Enantyum and some pain stuff, hopefully all going well next week will see the end of tho, still strapped for another week so walking round like an unoiled robot with sticky brembo brakes :D
  15. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    No better excuse than riding mate it does not get any better than that :clap .... and much more fun than writing!!

Yeah great catching up with Gene and Neda again, comparing notes on Cuba and places, even tho they are Canadian them seem nice :evil:D

We are also stealing ideas from Gene on photography although our kit is only a POS, he takes great photos from a different perspective which catches your eye.

I think secretly Gene wants a KTM :evil he had the opportunity to ride ours with raising the alarm .... just nearly the fire alarm with the rear brake :eek1

Gene said Maya feels a lot lighter and more flickable than the BMW but my experience riding 12 GS's says his bike is still a lot more comfy for the longer hauls being set up that bit more for touring and RTWing.

Each has plus and minus :clap
  16. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Sticky Brembos....:roflA little too much of that on them BMW forums.Not a good idea installing new pads without cleaning the pistons first, and more so with them newer calipers with internal dust seals. Glad some Kiwis know about brake maintenance and piston cleanings.Got to be too much of that between me and FlyingKiwi...!We concur...!:wink:

I was just readjusting that rod yesterday,pedal was down a bit. May not be exactly to BMW specs now but....wiggle wiggle, who needs instructions but I have read the manual before.:deal:rofl

But Eh....linked brakes we BMW riders are not supposed to use the rear pedal.:D Unless riding the shingles of course.:wink: Out the door better go find some of that now that I washed my bike.:huhCoffee in Kaslo??? Lots of old dolls in Nakusp/New Denver yesterday, may be something going on in Kaslo???:wink:
  17. Ozgirl61

Ozgirl61 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bloody oath mate, dont be stealing our lingo and trying to pass it off kiwi style....:freaky....
    you must be half way healed by now?
  18. ozrockrat

ozrockrat Ozrockrat

Oddometer:
    Ah we all knew it wasn't kiwish. At least 1/4 of the words were spelt correctly. That would never happen with a kiwi :deal
  19. shrek lone rider

shrek lone rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sounds like you're turning into a soft cock bro :kumbaya do you want me to send you some thing to help? maybe a :bert so it makes you feel better.... :hide
  20. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Brakes all sorted now, just gotta get out and test/check them but new fluid and proper adjustment we should have no issues now x fingers.

The decks cleared of all the snow now bro?