Ever bought a bike and immediately realised your mistake?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by kraftwerk, Nov 2, 2009.

1. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    Exactly, it really wasn't the bike's fault. It comes down to it wasn't a bike best suited for my needs. The thing looked great. I still love the way they look and LOVED that blue color. I could forgive most of its faults, but i just never got comfortable on it (even with all the bits adjusted), not enough leg room, and the riding position in general. I'm just much more comfortable on the little FZ6 and it fits my needs much more. So it ended up being more that the problems niggled me and the ergo issues just pushed me over the edge. Sad because i really wanted to like that bike.
  2. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 06 Triumph Speed Triple. I'm 6', 174 lbs, bike way too small. Have a K1200R now which is perfect!
  3. rhinoWERX

rhinoWERX Crikey mate!

Oddometer:
    My first BMW R100RS - it was a 78 model that I bought in 1985. Rode off on it and thought, oh my, what have I done...

It was my first twin, first BMW, first shaft drive.

I learned to appreciate and understand it.

Have since owned 4 (RS models) - don't have one now but I still love 'em
  4. Mooosman

Mooosman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did last year. Sold a really nice 78 RD400, thinking I wanted a bigger, more powerful bike. Ended up buying an 85 Suzuki GS1150. Long story short, the Suzuki turned out to be a huge POS. It didn't have the correct engine, the engine it did have had a bunch of mis-matched parts, wrong year carbs, etc. Ended up unloading it as soon as I got a title in my name from the DMV. I owned it a total of about 3 weeks, and every day I had to look at it in the garage I would think to myself, 'what have I done?':huh I lost a bunch of money on it, but I didn't care at that point. I just wanted it out of my garage!

I want my RD back! :cry

Nick
  5. Bike#8

Bike#8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Socal=Mt. Laguna & Palomar Mtn.> Now in Idaho Yea!
    Almost.

Went to the local giant bike shop two months ago to buy a 2009 Honda 750 V-twin Aero as a counterpoint to my BMW XMoto. But, right next to it was a leftover 2007 Suzuki SV1000S with 1 mile on the clock. Ended up with the SV which now has 3k miles on it and is a wonderful machine. Plus, Honda just released info on the 2010 750 Aero. It now has fuel injection and a black out paint scheme that I really like. I would have been pi$$ed with the 2009 Aero with the improved model showing up so soon after purchase. The old style carb was a real drawback for me (6000 foot elevation change in my local riding area).
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    The closest I ever came to owning a POS was my 99KLR. It was in decent shape, but poor brakes, low power, and weak suspension made me sell it after only about 3000 miles.

Besides, I had an R1100GS at the time, and it could do most of what the KLR could, and a lot more otherwise.

Jim :brow
  7. Silberfuchs

Silberfuchs Nature's Boy

Oddometer:
    When from a Vee Strom to a KLR650. As soon as I started the engine and began moving I thought WTF did I do.
    But as days, weeks, months went by, I really starting loving it and consider it the best bike for my current budget.
  8. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    The 888 ROCKS!:D
  9. 22224

22224 It matters not

Oddometer:
    My 2009 Tiger. There is nothing really wrong with the bike, other than finding a windshield I can deal with. But to me it's kind of uninspiring to ride. I was on a VFR750 before that, and I couldn't wait to ride it.

Compared to the VFR, the Tiger has no soul.

In my opinion................

I'll probably end up selling it next year.
  10. Levert

Levert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 1983 GS1150GS.

I should have known better as the kid I bought it off of stunk and his garage looked like a slaughterhouse.

On the way home the mirror fell off.
    In a week the CDI went, the clutch went.
    The bike understeered so bad I avoided corners.
    Then multi electrical issues, not a dull moment.

Final straw was the new CDI went.
    Sold it for half the price to a dragracer.

Never had a Susuckie after that.

Oh, and maybe my H1 that caught on fire, but at least insurance paid for it:D
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    bought a mid 90s honda 750 nighthawk.
    most boring bike i ever owned.
    sold it quickly & bought my strom.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    is that the black klr you did all those mods on?
    if so, you spent way too much time & $ on a bike you did not like???
    ...at the time you wrote on klr650.net how much you liked it.
  13. Pigford

Pigford British

Oddometer:
    That BMW K1 looks like something even Judge Dread wouldn't want to be seen on :puke1

They call the latest Race Replicas "Plastic Rockets" - But that heap must have started the name :eek1

I did make a bad mistake a couple of years back - A Kawasaki CSR 1000 LTD

It was a pile a pooh - it was a wreck, but did run. I travelled 200 miles into darkest, deepest Wales, through continual rain.....

As it took so long to get there, I thought "what the heck" and honoured the eBay deal - £800 :huh Was gonna modify it - but sold it a few months later for £650

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ducati 250. Bought it used from an individual. Rode it around town on the way home. Sold it the next day for $25 more than I paid for it.

The new owner called me a few days later to see if I'd be interested in buying it back. No.
  15. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    My first 'big bike', a 1988 FZX750 'baby vmax'. Couldn't handle, 80 miles to reserve, cut out in the rain constantly, kept blowing alternators.

Sucked balls.
  16. bjorn240

bjorn240 Good with a map!

Oddometer:
    GB500.

Gorgeous. Tiny. Vibey. Absolutely gutless.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Yup, tried like hell to make it the duel sport I thought I wanted. I eventually sold it and got an R1100GS, then an R1200GS. The KLR was fun, like my Scrambler, but was simply frightning when it came to brakes and handling on the freeway. I had an R1100RS at the time.

The Scrambler, comparred to the R1200GS is proving to be better, but still no long distance road bike! :cry

[​IMG]

Jim :brow
  18. Censport

Censport Vendor

Oddometer:
    Bought a Moto Guzzi Breva 750 brand new in 2004. Had to read what few reviews were out there, as the local dealer couldn't afford the insurance to allow demo rides. None of the reviews mentioned the gearbox. You Ducati riders think you have a hard time finding neutral at a red light? You've got it easy. That was my only real complaint about the Breva, but a bike that won't shift isn't much of a bike. I read that a couple of years later, Guzzi put a new transmission in their bikes and they shift as nice as any Japanese ride. So I'm interested in having another Guzzi. Breva 1100 this time, please. Although with my current budget, I'll probably have to wait for a used V7 Classic. The local dealer is long gone too.

Once I bought a '95 ZX6R from a friend. It "wouldn't start", and only after I bought body panels and had them painted, did I spend enough time to figure out why it wouldn't run. Two cylinders with zero compression. Sold it at a massive loss.

Add me to the list of those not impressed with the FZ6. Although it didn't hit me right away, but had to slowly reveal itself to me. I paid too much for my 2006 during the $5/gal gas days. It's not just that it's not the right bike for me (5'10-ish, 34" inseam, 172-lbs), but that it's a bad compromise, as are so many bikes that try to be everything to all people.

The alternator isn't strong enough to run heated gear; the factory windscreen is worse than no windscreen at all, so you have to buy the taller Yamaha touring screen or a Puig (I went the factory route) to ride on the interstate; the seat kills both my arse and my girlfriend's arse in less than an hour (I had the Yamaha gel seat on order for six months and it never came in, so I got my MasterCard credited); the throttle is twitchy as hell; the front brake is grabby at low speeds; the rear brake has no feel at all (just ask my upper tibia); and the bars are at this odd angle which cause pain in the webbing between my thumbs and forefingers on longer rides.

Basically, in town it's too twitchy and it's not comfortable on long rides. What is it good for? I am looking forward to selling it and getting that Guzzi, but I'm still upside-down with the damn thing. Might as well spring for a set of Bar Backs so I can tolerate it for a while longer.
  19. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right after I bought my new 2008 Buell 1125R for the measly sum of $6500 (cdn), I thought I had made a mistake....and now I am convinced that i did. I should have bought two of them...my dealer has none left, especially at that price. oh well. :D
  20. wldct69

wldct69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup...

Suzuki Bandit 400! Used and seemed like a great deal. Traded it for a YZF600R 6 months later. The YZF had just come out, and it was a fantastic bike for sport touring. Emphasis on "sport"