4 Way Stop Etiquette

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BryonLewis, Sep 25, 2013.

1. BryonLewis

BryonLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I travel through a couple 4 way stop signs everyday on my commute to work. I've noticed that people are overly friendly and wave me on through the sign when they clearly have the right-of-way. It doesn't matter if I'm on my streetfighter, cruiser or sport bike it seems to happen quite often. Wondering if any of you experience the same or if this unique to my area?
  2. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one that I travel thru daily. I've noticed I get the wave more often when on two wheels than when in four.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Just make sure that, if waved through, any others at the 4 way stop see it and let you go. The real way is the first person to stop has the right ow way. If all followed this there would be no issues.

Jim :brow
    tokyoklahoma and PT Rider like this.
  4. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    I'll sometimes wave them through back, then reach down as if I'm taking a moment to fiddle with something on the bike. It is less confusing this way, especially, as JimVB noted, when other vehicles at the stop might not be as attentive.

It really bugs me when there are such well thought out rules of the road and people are either ignorant of them, or, think they are being nice by doing something different. To me it just makes things a little more risky.

These folks aren't as dangerous as the person who stops on the on ramp waiting for a hole in traffic big enough to accelerate into from a dead stop, but, are irritating just the same.
  5. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Moto Tex
    I agree with you on all statements.
    CJ3Flyer and Bar None like this.
  6. Icecold Dan

Icecold Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Same here, however, I also agree with the above posters.
  7. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :deal 100%.

I hate that I break the rules of the road so often, but since so many others do, I find it's a matter of self-preservation to be deferential to the ignorant at intersections. It's not a matter of politeness (although it is that)-- instead, it's safety: once they go, they're no longer a potential threat to me.

I will heartily endorse the "look away" tactic-- this works on the bike, it works as a pedestrian, too. I'll give one hand wave to signal to the other vehicle to go. When they inevitably in turn wave *me* on, I'll immediately look away from them-- down at the bike, turn around as a pedestrian, etc. I find that 99% of the time this forces the matter and the other person will go.

Otherwise, you just end up in a hand-waving contest for the next thirty seconds, followed by stutter-stops through an intersection as you each try to go.

Faster, and safer, to look away. The psychology is weird, but seems to work IME.
  8. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup.

First to stop, first to go. If 2-3 vehicles arrive at stop simultaneously, vehicle to right has first go obligation. If 4 vehicles arrive at stop simultaneously, then a courtesy/go ahead wave is appropriate and intentions are made clear (and cautiously) by vehicle proceeding first.
    appliance57 likes this.
  9. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Locally...no street lights around here but a few 4 ways. Often I am the polite one and let them through.A little PR for motorcyclists if I get a smile back and then next time they'll remember us and be polite.:D

Different in the cities for sure, someone did something stupid in front of me just last week. Good thing I was being polite and never in too much of a hurry at a 4 way not to assess the possible risks.:eek1

All good usually when only 2 vehicles at the intersection. Fill it up with 4, have the others understood or seen that one of them waved you and may have given up his turn for a motorcycle???:wink:
  10. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    Just find some way through without getting hit.

People wave you through because they don't deal with motorcycles that often and don't want to make a mistake.
  11. Indy21

Indy21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have this happen daily, being waved through I mean, I either take it as a kind gesture or someone wanting to get a better look at what I'm riding.

If it's obvious they arrived first though, I usually always use the wave them through/look elsewhere tactic stated above.
  12. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Since I started riding 5 years ago I have had many family members tell me that they wave bikes through not because they want to see the bike, but because they are scared of bikes being near them. My wife, mom, step-mom, and a couple of sisters-in-law have all said variations of the same thing. When pressed, none can say anything other than, "but I don't want to run them over."

Well, then don't :deal

I think they know that in most cases the bikes will accelerate away much faster than they can, so then they don't have to worry about the bike being near them anymore.
  13. kniepm

kniepm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :flip Fuck you! You go! I like it here!

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qRhz4g9rJLs?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  14. SplitRock

SplitRock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's funny, I was just griping to a buddy about this yesterday. I think that when people try and wave you along, they're just trying to be nice to the motorcyclists. I can appreciate the sentiment and I usually will take them up on it. But it does kind of muddy the waters, so to speak, and can add to the confusion. I think it's all a little more clear-cut when we just use the first come-first served model.

:beer Brent
  15. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    For simple straight through you yield to the guy on your right just like a 2 way.

Gets a bit tricky when all 4 vehicles arrive at the same time.

Also tricky when someone wants to turn but that is why I prefer roundabouts or, as we used to call them in Joisey, traffic circles.

Everybody yields to traffic in the circle.
    GETTHUMPER2 likes this.
  16. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have found that if you blip your throttle a few times car drivers will let you go right away.

J/k
  17. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MaXMTtykHfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ettiquette? How about "Get there first, go first; get there at the same time, yield to the RIGHT (hence RIGHT of way)"
    GETTHUMPER2 likes this.
  18. BryonLewis

BryonLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand the rules. I'm referring to the fact that these people can become quite adamant about the motorcycle going before them.
  19. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ewIse6lNjro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    A simple solution would be a roundabout. Or if that is overkill, the vehicle from the right has the right of way. That way no one has to stop if there is no traffic.

But as things are, once someone waves me on, I don't hesitate and just go and wave a thank-you. That way everyone is happy and no time is wasted.
    BadKarma likes this.