Fuel line—gimme that good old fabric wrap

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by SculptD, Oct 8, 2013.

1. SculptD

SculptD Shoveling.

Oddometer:
    Here is what the relentless, baking sunshine of San Francisco did in 6 months to some "quality" fuel line supplied by a reputable airhead-savy outfit. Full on cracks might be visible under magnification, but to the naked eye they seem to be in the process of forming. And I'm willing to listen to somebody say, "they all do that, don't worry." But, really, who could ride and look down and see that all the time?

[​IMG]
  2. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    May not be only sun. I would suggest a combination of sun and ethanol. I buy ethanol resistant line from Bing and I have had the same fuel lines for 10 years.

As alway... YMMV
  3. SculptD

SculptD Shoveling.

Oddometer:
    Well, the line on "the shady side of the bike" is at least still black. On the inside, who knows.
  4. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Park your bike facing the other way half the time. :lol3

The cloth covered fuel line is the right size. It looks right to my eye. I still use it. I don't want 1/4" line that is too tight or 5/16' that needs hose clamps. I can still get fuel line that fits and looks right. Of course it only lasts a year or two. But so what.
  5. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Go down to Kohlweiss Auto Parts in Redwood City I believe and get some black VW fuel line. It's the same great stuff BMW use to sell. Beware, there are crap imitations out there.
  6. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    When you trim the cloth covered tubing to size, dip the ends in superglue to prevent fraying. (tips the tips section)
  7. SculptD

SculptD Shoveling.

Oddometer:
    Nice. I love that stuff.

And put a washer over the nipples for easy prying.

Just being sensible...
  8. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    This.
    I hate the cluttery hose clamps and if you don't use them, it's definitely going to leak. The you have to cut the suckers off if you use 1/4".

I've also learned a neat little tip from here to use a sharp chisel and a quick whack to make the cleanest cut on the braided fuel lines.
  9. RayB

RayB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just use 1/4" fuel injection hose. I don't find it too tight at all and don't use washers for pulling it off. I change my fuel hose once a year anyway. I don't see any advantage to that braid covered stuff-unless you like to have the bike look original. But that is of little consequence to me.
  10. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Chisel?? Wire cutters work perfectly.

Super glue? I guess they mean the edges versus dipping the entire end in super glue? That would make the fuel line as hard as a rock. Those little cups that go on the ends? I just cut my lines a little long and snip them ever so slightly shorter when the weave frays too much.

Washers to pry it off? All you have to do is splash a little gas on the line it will come right off by hand. Same story putting it on.

The advantages of the Made In Germany woven line IMO is that it comes off and on SO easily time after time after time and that it lasts so long. Mine usually lasts around ten years? And that is WITH ethonol fuel.
  11. RayB

RayB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree about using wire cutters. I used side cutters for a clean cut when I was using braided hoses
  12. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    There are several ways to cut the braided fuel line and get sharp edges. I have single edge razor blades around. I use them for several things. I can clean gasket surfaces and cut many things including fuel line. I buy razor blades in packages of 50 or 100. They are cheap.
  13. remow2112

remow2112 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wipe it down with 303 every couple of months. Good enough for NASA good enough for me.

:)

Dan...