Winter is a-coming

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Stegerman, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Stegerman

Stegerman MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer:
    First fall commute today when I needed the winter gear. It was 39*. Time to buy those heated glove liners.
  2. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    A good cheap solution for toasty fingers are Oxford hot hands grip wraps. Minimal current draw but, also no thermostat control. (if you don't wear gloves with them, you'll scorch your fingers)
  3. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Ouch, that is cold!
  4. Stegerman

Stegerman MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer:
    I have heated grips.. when it gets in the 20's and teens grips aren't enough.
  5. woolsocks

woolsocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's been in the low to mid 40s the last couple of weeks the mornings, but mid 60s and 70s during the day. The last few days it's been in the mid 40s in the mornings and 50s during the day. Winter is coming! Last week it did drop to 32 degrees. My commute to work is 80% highway at 70mph. Needless to say it was cold! The wind just sucks all the heat away, it's insane. I personally think cold hands are the worst. My core is warm, but my hands and knees are freezing! My plan was to ride into the cold as long as no snow is on the ground, but I don't have the money to invest in proper gear right now...
  6. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Depends on your gear.
    I'm also an all-year/weather rider and it gets into the negatives here in Pa. when wind chill is factored in.
    I use a set of Olympia Gloves that have a thin option at the palm where your hands contact the heated grips (transfers plenty of heat that way) and a 1 piece snowmobile suit (gives up road rash protection for warmth) that I layer up with polar fleece underneath.
    Between the above, a small shield to keep wind-blast off my chest and handgaurds for protecting my digits from the same...I'm good for about an hour @70mph in the teens.(and my heated grips are the extent of my electrical supplementation)

http://shop.olympiagloves.com/4298-Gore-Tex-2-in-1-Commander-4298.htm (best gloves I've ever owned but, I long for a joined 2 finger/thumb version)

I might not look as stylish as the Aerostitch crowd (or be as protected) but, I'll gladly look like the stay-puft marshmellow man and trade style/protection for warmth any day.:D (I.M.H.O. nothing is as dangerous as losing feeling in your extremities anyway)

Biggest secret to keeping your tootsies and fingers warm, is keeping your core temp up and limiting the cold surfaces that they are exposed to.
    I also wrap my grip levers in silicone stretchNseal tape to insulate my fingers from the cold alloy levers when I have to cover the brakes/clutch. (which I do sparingly when it's freezing outside)
  7. TXRKC

TXRKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heated gloves are the way to go. I finally bought a pair of Gerbings heated gloves last year after wanting a pair for quite a while. Yes, they're a little pricey, but after using them a few times, I knew it was money well spent.
  8. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Heated gloves and heated jacket liner are the way to go for riding in cold temps. Especially if your windshield is not the size of a compact car ala a Goldwing.
  9. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Take some advice from a rider who suffered from his electrical riding gear failing many years ago; carry some real gloves and layers (just in case) if you travel far from home.
    I'll never go back to relying on heated gear again. Great when it works = SUCKS when it fails.
  10. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Yep, 38F this morning on my commute. I figured I'd just turn on the heated grips as I only have ten miles to go.

Some days I just need a friendly reminder that taking the extra five minutes to put on heated gear is WORTH IT.
  11. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I must either really be immune to cold or have very good gear (which I don't, not based on price anyway). I ride in temps as low as 20º F without heated gear. Granted, my ride is only eight miles but I don't ever feel as if I'm under dressed. :scratch
  12. Adiventure

Adiventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode all last winter (my first) without heated gear and survived. Probably in a low of around 15. That being said it's bloody awful particularly in any prolonged exposure. This year I've added heated grips and we'll see if I need anything else.
  13. TXRKC

TXRKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:

8 miles is hardly enough to get too cold. I ride 40 miles each way to and from work. I'd done it for several years without heated gear. I survived and didn't complain. However, after having it, I cant recommend it enough. 70 mph in the 20 and 30 degree weather feels a lot better when your hands are warm.
  14. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    Yes it is. I rode to work today and it was 37F when I left. Heated grips seem like a great idea to me.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing makes more difference than a large windscreen. On my Ural I have their Siberian windscreen and the large military leg guards. I wear layers under a Firstgear insulated rain suit, Dakine ski gloves, Redwing work boots, Swiss Army gators, and a Modular helmet. I stay warm and dry down to the teens.
    Like others have stated, heated gear is too unreliable and inconvenient for daily use.

[​IMG]
  16. woolsocks

Oddometer:
    34 degrees this morning commute. What temps do I need to start worrying about cold, slipppery tires?
  17. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    Now!!!!
  18. woolsocks

Oddometer:

Thanks!!! I suppose it varies by tire choice too, but what temps would you start to pay more attention to cold tires? 40s, 30s?
  19. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    7 degrees F this morning, WTF you guys whining about? Carhart Artics, black cozy and warm. Just like a few girls I remember.
  20. Zeke Markham

Zeke Markham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's getting to be winter here, too. Dropped down to probably 60s yesterday riding up towards the salt flats.