dragging front brake - r1150gs

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by zev, Aug 25, 2010.

1. zev

zev biker-hiker

Oddometer:
    Hi, I thought I posted this last night, but no responses and now I don't see it... Pardon if it's doubled out there...

I've just changed front brake line to steel-braided. Now, the front brakes seem to be dragging on the rotor significantly more than usual, and it gets worse on a ride.

I worked on the theory that there was a bubble in there and bled the brakes multiple times, but no bubbles emerged and the brake doesn't feel spongy...

Sometimes, it seems to engage a bit later than it should, and a second pump on the lever gets a quicker response.

I did get some brake fluid on the pads. I know it can't be good for them, but will it cause this problem?

Any ideas out there in oilhead land? Thanks, --Z
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Did you change all the lines? I had one fail internally and it acted like a check valve, causing the brakes to drag... pretty sure it was the one between the master and the ABS unit. It also crapped rubber bits into the system.
  3. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pull the pads, clean the pucks with brake cleaner, see if that improves your feel.
  4. zev

zev biker-hiker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses. I will try the brake cleaner and see where it gets me. And, maybe I'll bleed it again for good measure --Z
  5. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    model year and abs type info might help...
  6. zev

zev biker-hiker

Oddometer:
    Well, for the record, it's a 2001 with whatever ABS is standard for that model.

[rant on]I think it's lowsy ABS and feel that it has come close to killing me a couple of times. In the "incident" that severed the front brake line, the ABS wire got mashed at the same time and it hasn't turned itself on since then. I'm pleased about that, and figure if I ever fix the wire, I will install a switch to open-circuit the darned thing whenever I ride it.[rant off]

I rode the bike 100 miles Thursday and when I got home it was completely unstuck and dragging more normally, so I'm guessing that either there was a little piece of something in the pads and it fell out or wore away or the caliper was stuck and came unstuck.

There is still a little bit of inconsistency where a second pull on the lever gets a quicker engagement, but the difference is miniscule and I wonder if it's all in my head and for that little a difference, is it even something to think about.

I appreciate the inmates' virtual look-see and advice.

For my next project, LED strip blinker / running lights inside the standard turn signal stalks... they just arrived in the mail, and they look like they will turn out nicely. Once the front ones are done, I can move to the back ones and have red running lights with yellow turn-signals.... oooohhh

--Z
  7. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    What are the pucks?
  8. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Sir,
    My '00 with ABS does that as well, and have done so for as long as I can remember.
    I've gone through several pairs of pads, and it has remained like this.

I have no clue if I really need to attend to it.

My bike has 150.000 km (about 92.000 miles), and I ride a lot FULLY loaded (more than 500 kg (1.100 pounds)).

[TaSK]
  9. MaxSeven

MaxSeven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several years later - I second that. What are the pucks?
  10. Poway

Poway SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: