Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    I just put ROX 2" risers on mine and it feels much better. I had a little too much forward lean with the stock setup.
  2. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    If these were our bikes I might consider Rox and change the brake cable to be sure. But since they are on loan...the 20mm I hope will make the reach a little less for me and when standing a bit more comfortable as well.
  3. WhereIsBobL

WhereIsBobL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But remember, you are in New England. I don't know about the rest of the world, but here, my mileage is always lowest during the winter months, improves slightly during the spring when it is warmer, then jumps up pretty good when they finally get around to changing to summer fuel blend. Then back down in the fall.

I have looked at MPG on the numerous new bikes I have had. From my experienc there is seldom a big jump in MPG as the bike gets broken in, mainly, I think because break in speeds are slow. I suspect that if I drove new bikes at the same speeds I do when they are broken in, I would see a significant improvement. Gas blend seems to be the biggest factor after driving habits.

BTW I have 6,000 miles on my XC so far. I am very happy with it.

YMMV
  4. TooBadBrad

TooBadBrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the Tubliss conversion on my Beta, and know lots of people who also use them. I've never heard of one melting, nor have I had any problems. I use my Beta for serius D/S riding including Baja rides. I do know some riders that have givin up on Tubliss and went back to mousses because they were getting flats from hitting stuff at speeds they wouldn't normaly try with tubes. Now mousses, they melt if you do much high speed stuff like Baja or pavement.

The Tubliss parts are a little light duty looking for a big bike. I wouldn't want to be the first to try it. I do think you'd have a balance problem too.
  5. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I was just as surprised as you about the melting. The guy posted pics of it. I forgot where I saw it ... maybe on Thumper Talk? Not sure. Anyway, I'm sure for dirt bikes most have good luck with Tubliss.
    For a 120 mph street bike? :eek1 Could be some issues. :D For me, a Woody's tubeless conversion is the way I will go. Worst case is you have to break down the tire and install a tube if the wheel leaks air. The KTM guys report mostly positive experience with Woody's conversions ... but plugging a knobby can also be a challenge and sidewall damage is still an issue.
  6. Exploron

Exploron exploron

Oddometer:
    I drove down to Phx yesterday and Demo'd an XC. With all the buzz about this bike, I was surprised there was a demo available. I did about a 30 minute city ride, so no offroad impressions could be had.
    I really liked it. Like everyone else, I loved the engine sound, smooth power, the stock seat was comfy, smooth, easy shifting, handled fine, good looks, great gauges. The only gripe is the windscreen (common gripe), so no big deal there.

It seemed that the catalytic is right under the oil sump. Am I wrong?
    Wouldn't it be an "oil heater" placed there?

Anyway, I really liked it. My baseline for street bikes is about as low as one can get, however. I'm tempted to get the regular 800, all white.

I made the mistake of riding two Ducati's :eek1 after the Tiger. Hypermotard and Multistrada, both slightly used and farkled up. That was an experience, but a hard sell to my practical mind.

No affiliation or dealings with... but I really like Brian, the salesman at GOAZ motos in Scottsdale. Lots of knowledge, no pressure.
    I wish there had been a regular 800 to demo.
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Beautiful, thanks. :freaky
  8. -lurkster-

-lurkster- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I should have been more clear- it looked like the dark / opaque color was from clouding with tiny particles- nothing shiny or large, mind. Just wondered how typical this is for the first change, especially since I recalled people saying their oil came out clean at the first change. Going to run a few hundred more miles on semi-synthetic oil before switching to full synthetic.
  9. gargleblaster

gargleblaster n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Lori,
    they look excellent. Did you lower your exhaust? On my bike (non-XC) it's higher (the center of the hole is about as high as the keyhole for the seat)

- Eric
  10. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Your thinking about my post. I said there was almost no metal. The oil was plenty dark. I'm used to new motors first oil change looking like someone dumped a can of glitter in there. Not so with the T8.
  11. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:

Didn't change a thing, they fit perfect. There's plenty of wire, hose and cable.
  12. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    interesting good to know. Thanks!
  13. when the road bends

when the road bends hello

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone who has purchased a t800->

For long trips, fire roads, and light offroad:

I am trying to figure out what accessories I need, and are more critical.

The engine protection bars, what do you think?

Oil filter protection, exhaust, cat, and radiator - are these really neccessary?
  14. plonkomaticus

plonkomaticus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Burgerking

#1 Angel of the North
    #2 Buttermere end of Honister Pass
    (was there on Sunday.. also wet)
    #3 Crummock Water?
    #5 Yorkshire Dales on your way back to Hull??
  15. forkt

forkt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too installed the Rox Risers on my 800xc. I am 5'11" and these put the bars in a far more natural position, and feels much better while standing. (before I felt a little too far forward, particularly while standing). I could probably move them a tad bit more forward, but it's still quite an improvement already.

Plenty of room for the cables, didn't have to change anything.

Attached Files:

16. PirateDunk

PirateDunk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went for a blast through the sandunes here in WA at the weekend. Lots of fun. This beast is a blast on hard flat beaches. Action shots should turn up shortly.

Attached Files:

17. Dmarino

Dmarino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Tiger got some new tires today, TKC80s.

Thanks brown Santa! (UPS)
    [​IMG]

To lift the front end I had to tap my extensive resource of 2x4 scraps :wink:.
    [​IMG]

The TKC80s are ever so slightly smaller in diameter. Keep in mind the OEM tire on the left has 5000 Miles on it.
    [​IMG]

And again for the rear....
    [​IMG]

View of the reasonable fender clearance
    [​IMG]

Ready for action!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Johno33772

Johno33772 Johnny Africa

Oddometer:
  19. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Good choice but I'd go for the XC ... here's why:
    Low baseline? A Husky 610 and KLR650 aren't too bad ... plus a real dirt bike? I'd say you're doing well my friend. That Husky is a hoot! But if you bought the XC Tiger it's possible you could sell both the Husky and KLR ...as the Tiger kind of replaces them both and adds touring ability in the bargain. You've still got the 250 for tough dirt challenges. Just a thought.
    Both the Ducati's are awesome rides. I loved the Hyper Motard but my license wouldn't last a month on one of those :eek1 ... and not the most practical of bikes, as you've pointed out.

The new Multi is incredible but not cheap. If I had the money, I'd consider the 1200 Multistrada for sure.

The Tiger 800XC covers a lot of ground, quite a versatile bike, reasonable price and should be reliable and not too expensive to maintain. (hopefully)
    :freaky
  20. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    I am actually considering a tiger and a hypermotard. I made a thread about it in this section of the forums. Maybe you coudl give her a look? :evil