Best 50cc Scooter?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Speedo66, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah, the hunt is often a very enjoyable part of ownership.

Looks like there are several good, reasonably priced, choices.
  2. HIPPYHUNTER

HIPPYHUNTER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    05 ZUMA!!! .49 cc and quick. I have had one since 05 trouble free! Im 185lbs and hit 52mph stock!
  3. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the 50cc Genuine Buddy. It's an electric start, air-cooled 2-stroke known for being reliable and cute. And this is coming from someone who used to have a Honda Metropolitan!

I haven't heard any horror stories about the reliability of the C3 but if you're wife is on the shorter side, I heard the wider seat can make it difficult to flat-foot.

The Zuma is a great scoot, but it's not as cute as the Buddy or some of the Kymco or Sym scoots. Yeah, I know, I know, but I also know looks count to the boys, too. Why else would they farkle the hell out of their GSAs?
  4. kemmer

kemmer Adventurer

Oddometer:

Came here to say this. I'll also agree with what others have said about the Zuma. If she like the look of the Yamaha Vino, it's a good option too. All of these have good aftermarket support should you decide to make it haul ass, even the older Elite 50s and newer Aero 50s. The 94+ Elite 50 is where it's at if aftermarket is a priority though, it's easy to make 'em do 60mph with bolt on parts!
  5. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you forgetting something on your high performance 50cc scooters suggestions?

"Motor-Driven Cycles (Mopeds)
    Connecticut law distinguishes the difference between a motorcycle and a motordriven cycle, commonly known as a moped. A motor-driven cycle is defined as any motorcycle, motor scooter, or bicycle with an attached motor that has a seat height of at least 26 inches and a motor that produces no more than five brake horsepower. You must have a valid driver’s license to operate a motor-driven cycle, but do not need a motorcycle endorsement."

no more than five brake horsepower if you want to be legal.

6. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1st every state is different so of course he needs to find out what the regs are where he lives, second I do not know of any cops that run around with a dyno, third we are just telling him what is possible ( other than the guy a few posts up that has a Zuma 50 thats stock that does 52 mph) 4th according to most state regs even a stock 50 cc needs at least a car license to operate. I for one would have insurance on anything I own even if it is not mandatory because I have too much to lose just to save $50 a year on insurance. I have a Zuma 50 and my full coverage insurance is $39 a year on it.
  7. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    My wife is just looking for an alternative to walking around a lakeside community, Candlewood Lake in CT, with some steep hills. The Zuma looks like it seats 2, so that would be a plus.

Aside from a possible trip to the nearest community with some shops, I don't think she'll be riding it too much on public roads, so no hop ups needed..
  8. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will say one negative about the Zuma, there is no side stand ,only a center stand. My wife hates having to pull it up on the center stand. If I were to do it over again I would find a 2t scooter that has both a side stand and a center stand. Believe me if she thinks its a hassle she won't use it. I do not even think there is an after market side stand available.
  9. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Good point.

Wonder if anything off another scooter can be adapted?
  10. buickid

buickid A little bit of everything.

Oddometer:
    IIRC, a universal sidestand can be fitted, but it requires some trimming of the plastic skidplate/bottom fairing piece. Don't quote me on that though.
    As far as the center stand goes, its pretty easy to pop it on and off. I find the best way is to put my right hand on the luggage rack, left hand on the left handlebar, a gentle lift with the right hand, step on the stand, and up it goes! Getting it off the stand is a simple as straddling the scooter, a gentle push forward on the handlebars, and ready to roll.

One reason a sidestand might not be included is because of the auto-enricher. When the engine is cold, the RPMs are increased slightly, and in certain situations, the RPMs are high enough to slightly engage the clutch. I could see it potentially pulling the bike forward enough to make it fall off the sidestand.
  11. langloisandy

langloisandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an Aprilia Rally 50 for a few years, awesome Scooter and was pretty quick. (I did some mods...but even stock it was ok). Good brakes, easy to work on. 45 billion MPG or something like that! ;)

Andy
  12. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that the center stand is easy to use, for me. My wife though is another story. If your wife is not a wimp then she will have no problem either but if your wife is one of those that you have to open every can in the kitchen for, and is always compaining that easy tasks are hard to do. She will struggle with the center stand. I will say that my wife is a complete wimp in this regard and if anything takes a little straining to do, she will either compain about having to do it or just not do it. The scooter is in the realm of just not do it. Vacuuming is in the realm of complaining the whole time she is doing it. She has tried for years to get me to do all the vacuuming or to pay a maid to do it, I will not do either one. That is nt to say I will not vacuum, I just won't vacuum to eliminate the work for her. If we are under the gun to clean the house and it needs doing I will do it to use the time efficiently but not just to stop her complaining because she needs to do things that use her strength or she will just get weaker.
  13. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    The Buddy 50 is a 2-stroke with both a side and center stand. Personally, I never park my scoot with the side stand. I like the rear wheel off the ground when I start it and it warms up.
  14. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes you can get around the law but don't have an accident with bodily harm when you are violating the law.
  15. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I don't know much (actually anything) about scooters. Is there a neutral position on them, or do they just start "in gear" with a centrifugal type clutch?
  16. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unlike some medical afflictions, ignorance is relatively easy to cure . . at least for those willing to take some initiative to help themselves. So many posters appear to claim ignorance to justify exploiting others!

CVT drive videos
  17. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is no nutural, they are a centrifical clutch so if you rev the engine to a certain rmp it will engage. That said unless you were to start it at full throttle it would be fairly hard for it to accidently get away from you.
  18. lifer

lifer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the time it took you to type this, you could have answered the question. If you get agrivated answering a common question just don't answer, let someone else answer. Are you this rude in person when you talk to someone ? The internet is not an excuse to be unkind and rude . What is worse lazy or rude?
  19. NC Scott

NC Scott MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Kymco Super 8 2t? I've been thinking about picking one up.
  20. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    On Modern Buddy (another forum) there are a few posts of people who've had their scoots get away from them when parked on the side stand. There was one girl who had the bike do a fantastic crash with hundreds of dollars in cosmetic damage...just brilliant.

I don't have a problem getting the scoot on the center stand and it's sorta built-in to me as I started on vintage scoots that only had center stands. I bitch that my DRZ doesn't have one...but apparently some guy is working on an after-market one.

As for tortoise2, seriously? Be nice. This is Battle Scooters where we all have to get along because the rest of ADV thinks we're mere children.