Cops and Tickets

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by btcn, Nov 27, 2011.

1. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sportsman Matt that sucks! Sounds like a rather dumb policy to me. Yea shit when I didn't even have no license yet on my Elite 150 I went through a checkpoint one time and the cops let me go cause I sayed you don't need no license for these things! Some know the law many don't however.

emmettken wow your lucky they let you off warning for 69 in a 55. I hate it when they actually inforce a 55 MPH speed limit! Thats SO slow! If you actually want to go somewhere its WAY to slow.
  2. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah, he's fighting it. He called upon the local scooter community for help and got copies of owner's manuals that say his scooter's top speed is something like 47mph :wink: (the ticket actually said "50+")

I don't think he's had his court date yet, though.
  3. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    I don't think that would hold up in court though... My Helix has a manufacturer-stated top speed of 72mph, but I've had it up to 78mph (just keeping up with traffic on the highway).
  4. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Indicated or GPS? Sometimes there's a big difference. :huh
  5. bbishoppcm

Oddometer:
    GPS and speedo (speedo actually read about 79)
  6. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea plus a tailwind and hills can give you a boost too, aside from mods.

Kinda sucks though.
  7. bbishoppcm

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but don't all those extra mirrors, lights, and heavy designer coats slow you down?
  8. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

What do you mean?
  9. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

You's talked about them there with all them mirrors and lights like the mod scooters?

I was thinkin of regular scoots those don't got no real significient effict on speed, I mean some can have soe drag I guess.
  11. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chart topper coming up!

Two weeks ago on a Sunday I was out riding my Rattler 50 in Henderson, a suburb of Las Vegas. The weather was nice that day somewhere in the mid 60's and I went as far southeast in town as I cold go.

I made it to the southeastern most point of Henderson and began my ride back. I made it to the top of some steep hills and went down them with a good head of speed. Heading back up the other side the speeds would diminish.

Heading back up one of said hills I wasn't keeping great speed so I pulled onto the shoulder to let traffic pass and they were not so I pulled into a community center parking lot to let the parade of traffic pass me. I went to the exit of the parking lot and got back onto the street and shortly thereafter I see the red rollers in my mirrors.

I pull onto the shoulder, shut down the hotrod, and am approached by the Sargent. I ask what the nature of the stop is and he ask's why I was running from him. I do a bit of a double take and chuckle asking if he was serious. He say's I pulled into the parking lot to get away from him.

I am dumbfounded and amazed this is happening in real life at this point and proceed with telling him about getting out of the way of the line of cars that were behind me.

Then the Sargent tells me he paced me going 40mph up the hill. Without a moment I told him it was physically impossible for my bike to go up the hill that fast.

He then instructs me to put my hands on the hood of the squad truck and runs my license. I haven't had a ticket in over 5 years but used to get into a lot of trouble before that. Not interested in dealing with the law anymore so I stay out of trouble.

At any rate he decides to take me to jail, have my scooter impounded, and charge me with 5 tickets.

No motorcycle license
    No insurance
    Failure to maintain lane
    Excessive smoke
    Didn't use turn signal

The bike is 49cc and legally not required to carry insurance(although I do carry full coverage because it is cheap) and the motorcycle license is not necessary either.

The bike has 2,200 miles on it and I bought it new back in July or August and it does not smoke. It will on start up until it warms and I did notice the other day when I let my friend ride it that while using Yamalube 2S it does have a slight white puff but I can't see it from the rear view mirror or by looking at the muffler while riding.

Failure to maintain lane, for moving out of the way for traffic to pass...give me a break!

I don't care about the signalling.

This douche pulls me over for one thing and then decides to write a laundry list of citations when I argue at the nonsense he is accusing me of.

This is all legal by the way. A police officer can cite you for things you didn't do and it will be your word against theirs in court and they can take you to jail even though you have no warrants or any reason other than them feeling like they are being disrespected.

They fail to give you respect though!

I have a new old slogan...FUCK the police!

I also filed a formal complaint against the Sargent. Not that it will do anything.
  12. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Well that depends in the usa most cops have it all on VIDEO which means you can request it. It should show what happened. It's not the first or last time cops are going to be asses. Had one RCMP guys give me 350 bucks of tickets for asking nicely why did you pull me over. Since it's the usa you can easterly sue for false arrest. I m guessing once the tickets get to court they get thrown out. Sound like you can get 5 to 10 grand for that. Since it cost at least 100 grand to defend this type of case they mostly don't both but give out the cash to make it go away. YOu can prove that your bike can't go that fast up the hill by taking a video of it going up it it. If he paced you doing 40 does that mean no radar set up in his car? If so easy to defeat the ticket. Consider buying one of these for 20 bucks and wearing it in your helmet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&ie=UTF8&qid=1319434307&sr=1-15&condition=new . It good for 1 hours of video and more then one person here has used it with ok results.
  13. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No plate, clocked exceeding 30 mph . . fair game!

Nevada DMV . . Mopeds

LV Sun Article . . Follow the rules, moped drivers, or Metro will ticket you
  14. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He didn't clock me. Bike is physically incapable of doing what he "said" I was doing and he did not charge me with speeding.

Are you getting the picture yet?

The Sargent that pulled me over said 40mph and then said that legally it could not go over 35mph. He either didn't know the law or was trying to entrap by getting me to say 35mph. Either way he is not educated or a con artist. He also makes a little over $100k per year.
  15. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, thats just ridiclous! Going to JAIL for a few vilations on a 49 cc Scooter?

I mean yea I guess the 30 MPH law is true so its technekly not an actual moped, but come on! Maybe a ticket, but jail? I didn't even think they can talk y'all to jail for not having a motorcycle license on a motorcycle. At least here I don't think they can.

Excessive smoke? What the hell? Its a 2 STROKE it WILL smoke! I didn't know there ain't no law on excessive smoke I don't even think no bikes have to be smogged.

And for pulled over letting people pass? What the fuck? Well what the hell you supposed to do? They's tailgatin and theres some law I know here if you hold up more than 5 regardless of speed you have to pull over when safe to do so and let em pass.

How did he git you for no insurence if you has it? Maybe it don't count cause you don't got no motorcycle license?

But all I can say is wow, what a pussy of a sargent!

Not ALL cops are bad though. I have some good friends that are cops, and their cool as hell! I've met a cool as hell cop that when he gets you riddin a dirtbike on the street he actually asks if he can try it cause he wants one for his son! There are lots of cool cops out there I wouldn't go as far as saying Fuck The Police.

BUT yes there are some serious ASSHOLES out there with badges. Seriously, think if your just an asshole, wouldn't being a cop appeal? You can treat people like shit all day every day, and do nearly whatever you want. Thats why there are asshole cops. Like him! Sargent? He should be after some actual CRIME? I mean tell me, just how much harm does a 49 cc scooter do? If you were riding reall reckless like an idiot swerving thru traffic and running stop signs, yea you could hit someone. But just riding? And letting people pass? NOT brakechecking em or causing road rage of some sort?

I don't get it. Holy shit. He must be a pretty tough cop now huh? HE should be depromoted or fard. Seriously, for being like this why can't they just far him already?
  16. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Sargent didn't have the balls to look me in the eye when he was administering the punishments I was to receive. The officer that took me to jail said this shouldn't have happened and that it was all about attitude.

Now if I could find an attorney to take a case against the HPD. The following week I was to get my physical examination to go into the Navy. Now that's not going to happen.
  17. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

Did that there officer taked you did he mean your attidude or the cops?

And yea its just ain't right. What a fuckin asshole that cop is!

And that sucks! So you can't go into the navy because of this? Man that cop oughta just be shot! He's a waste of a human!
  18. bbishoppcm

Oddometer:
    Might wanna recant that statement there... suggesting any human be killed is just wrong. I don't believe any cop deserves to be hurt, but some of them simply need to choose other careers. A good, quality police officer will not lose his temper and treat the people he (or she) is paid to serve with the respect that they deserve, and not charge them with crimes they did not commit (simply because you're having a genuinely bad day).
  19. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Now one should be shot but understand sooner or latter it getts them fired or charged. Eg one officer at truck crossing in Bailne Wa did that and it finely got him fired and charged. Off duty he pulled over a canada in his own car by cutting it off. No uniform etc. I would see what it takes to get the video from the car he was driving. Go from there. Yah he ficked you over but find out if you can take him to small claims after you file an apeal of the tickets and win. Excess smoke soons like something that support to be use on a semi truck. Whom knows maybe small claims in up to 20 grand in Vegus. Talk to the local news paper about it and see if the TV news want to do something about it. Cops pull nice guys on a scooter over and abuses his badge.
  20. alphaBETAdog

alphaBETAdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you actually get booked into jail? Hard to believe for just the above offenses, sure there wasn't more to the story? DUI, outstanding warrants, making threats to the cops???