kubiaks r1150gs build

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kubiak, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Bruce Caldwell

Bruce Caldwell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a Miller 211 & Spoolmate 100 series spoolgun which is the lower end of the spoolguns. It's not a production gun but for occasional projects it works fine & was only $200. I've only used it twice, built a couple of soccer goals from 3" x 1/8" square tube & a poling platform for my brother's boat from 1" pipe & it has been great. Of course it does'nt make as pretty of a weld as TIG but like you, I can't afford one just to play with. Here's a sample pic of my first time to use it.
    [​IMG]
  2. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    dang that looks great! i got to look into one of those for sure. i use a lincoln sp125 plus hopefully they offer one for it. thanks for the info and picture!
  3. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    took off my top soft bag and put on a pelican locking top box. it fits perfect on the rear rack i made. got a deal on ebay for 40 bucks!

Attached Files:

4. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i used a piece of channel to bolt it to the rack.

Attached Files:

5. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i lucked out and the pelican fits perfect where i can still take the softbags off and on without unbolting the top case and the top box is far enough back where i can mount and dismount myself without doing the lift the leg and hop back move when getting off.

Attached Files:

6. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    but if it was me, i would switch the U-bolts so that there are facing up. Then use wing nuts if you want to take the case on and off. Less likely to walk away when you are off of the bike.

YMMV

7. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    good idea, right now im using 4 bolts with a piece of aluminum across the inside so its got a big area to clamp down. the u bolts would work better like you are saying. im pretty bad as far as trusting people. i leave my helmet and gear sitting on top of my bike wherever i go but try to park in plain view at least. one of these days someone will take my gear and i will be sorry lol!
  8. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I think you need to get a bigger tank! :D

Seriously that thing came out nice!
  9. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea im never satisfied so im working on a 2 gallon auxillary fuel tank for the back lol! im waiting for the darn filler neck i ordered off ebay to finish it though!
  10. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i finally got my fuel filler neck from ebay yesterday for my auxillary fuel tank so i welded it on and mounted it behind the saddlebag mount.

Attached Files:

11. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    as you probably noticed already i like stickers. heres a rear shot of the tank.

Attached Files:

12. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    heres a pic of it from the front. i welded on the filler neck off a jeep so i could use a nice vented screw on cap. i will probably get a locking cap soon.

Attached Files:

13. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i used a on-off valve between the tanks so i can turn the little red valve in the pic on if i get low or run out of fuel.

Attached Files:

14. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i plumbed the aux tank into the equalization tube under the main tank.

Attached Files:

15. Richard2112

Richard2112 '00 R1150GS - RIP GhostRider!

Oddometer:
    Looks great!

What do you think about fuel line clamps - I am been told horror stories about using the "wrong type" of clamp - I still haven't figured out which are the "right" ones :D

So, it is constantly connected to your fuel system - and not a switchover "emergency fuel" system?

Thanks again for sharing, keep the photos coming!!

Richard
  16. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    hi, i dont know which clamps are the best but my tank doesnt have any pressure anymore since i took off the canister and run the vent line out a vent hose so im using regular hose clamps on the extra fuel lines. a few lines dont have any clamps since they are so tight but i will put some on them too. yea the aux fuel tank i made is connected directly to the main fuel tanks crossover tube but i put the on-off valve between them so if i run out of fuel i turn the red knob or on-off valve on and the fuel runs from the aux tank to the main tank. the aux tank is higher than the main tank so gravity fills the main tank with a turn of the knob. it does take a few minutes to empty the aux tank to the main tank so i would have to just cruise the bike till it drains the aux tank. i also like the idea that if someone is out of fuel i can pop the fuel line off behind the valve and fill a bottle for them. no more carrying the msr bottle with fuel in my saddlebag!
  17. Richard2112

Richard2112 '00 R1150GS - RIP GhostRider!

Oddometer:
    That is a really nice feature, and you'll not only get good use out of it, but a few free meals out of it as well! :evil

Ever consider mass building these? :lol3

Richard
  18. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea i would like to mass produce something for the gs but so far everything has been too custom and wont work on most gs. like the crashbars i had to make because of the bigger custom tank and the aux tank bolts to my custom saddlebag mounts. i guess i can make headlight gaurds but mine isnt good looking enough to sell lol! the aux tank is really a simple design. i just measured the open space behind my saddlebag mount then welded up a tank then welded 3 mounts, one to the gs frame, one to the saddlebag rear support arms and one to the saddlebag outer frame. then i bought the jeep filler neck and welded it to the top so it comes up through a space between my saddlebag. i welded a piece of pipe with pipe thread to the lowest part of the tank so i can screw on a brass fitting. heres a pic of the tank off the bike.i finished it off with some body filler to hide the ugly welds and a can of flat black. i could have gone bigger but i just wanted enough so if i ran out of gas it would go at least 50 miles or so to reach a gas station or enough to give a stranded rider some gas. i know i would have paid big bucks for even a pint of gas when i ran out and pushing a bike! i like to see the person happy for my payment but a candybar or sodie would be nice too!

Attached Files:

19. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    getting most of the big mods done already so out for a ride today enjoying the gs. finding great roads on the gps!

Attached Files:

20. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    stopped for a mountain dew and some donuts after a few hundred miles.

Attached Files: