RIG a pull start on a riding mower?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The PacRat, Oct 25, 2010.

1. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    I have a lawn tractor that I use occasionally - just often enough to have to jump the battery to get it started.

If this damn thing had a pull start I'd never have to worry about buying batteries or starters, etc.

Any ideas for "rigging up" a pull start? Seems doable...

FYI - My mower is a Craftsman with an 18hp B&S.
  2. svejkovat

svejkovat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw this in another forum

If you could get at the starter motor itself and were able to weld/attach some sort of socket to the shaft of the motor you'd be all set. You could spin the starter with a portable drill which would take advantage of the retracting spur gear already there.

It'd be too cool in fact if starter motors all came with such a socket on the back of the shaft.

I always admired the emergency starters used on military field generators. Crank for a while to coil a spring and then trip a lever to start the motor. A child could eventually start a V-8 diesel with one of those. Some mowers were equipped with a similar mechanism, but it was a real POS that never lasted long.

Of course if all else fails you might consider a 'widow maker' starter. An inverted cup/pulley attached to the shaft with notches for a rope end that winds around it. Anybody around you that repairs small engines is likely to have one of these laying about.
    [​IMG]

I remember these from my youth. Amazed that I still have all my limbs.

Another thought is maybe since it's a relatively low amp draw (compared to your car starter) you could make a jumper cable with a cigarette lighter plug and just leave it coiled up under the mower's seat

(man, i need to get outta the house tonite)
  3. The PacRat

Oddometer:
    That's a cool idea, but I was hoping for bone-simple.

If I could attach one of these...

[​IMG]
  4. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    With all respect to Svejkovat (who covered the options in a manner that suggest extreme experience), I would suggest the following:

1) Install a fuel shut-off valve, if you don't have one.

2) ALWAYS shut off the fuel and run out the fuel from the carb when done with the machine.

3) Buy the cheap Harbor Freight battery float charger ($3.99 in store w/coupon) and hook it up after you're done running the fuel out of the machine.

[​IMG]

Since I started doing the above, I've had no problems starting my two lawn/garden tractors even after long rest periods. Running the gas out prevents the gas in the carb from losing volatility, which is why you have to crank the bejeezus out of the engine to start it after it's been sitting. One of my "floated" batteries is 7 years old and is still good, even in cold weather.

Why pull when you can turn a key?
    Why walk when you can ride? :evil
  5. The PacRat

Oddometer:
    My mower lives outside, so it's not getting a battery tender.

I'm interested in a pull start.
  6. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    I've often eyeballed the emergency starter rope tucked inside the cowl on my 1.8 liter, four cylinder, 100hp outboard engine. A manly undertaking I'm sure...
  7. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Sorry, my mistake:

1) Build shed. :lol3
  8. The PacRat

Oddometer:
    I previously owned a commercial 15hp mower that was pull start and it was a breeze to start - I can't imagine this one to be any worse.

That "widow-maker" was exactly what I was thinking about trying.

Building a shed (or actually purchasing another 20' shipping container) is on my list as well!
  9. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I have an MTD mower with similar engine.

Yep I did look at putting a pullcrank on it, not easily done. :(:

Yes they are notorious for burning their starters, but there are good ones on the market as opposed to some cheap crap like I have seen. :nono

I just take my starter apart every couple years and clean it,if yours is like mine, the brushes are on the bottom and all the crap builds up around them. So far I have avoided spending $150.00 or so on a new starter.That would be 3 times what I paid for the mower....!:D

As for the battery, I have the same cheapo $30.00 I put in there years ago, no tender either, I may have charged it a couple times, but that motor starts so easy.....!:thumb
  10. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Figured out which Briggs engine it is, then go on and find parts cross references.

There really aren't that many different briggs engines around, so assuming that one of their models came equipped with a pull starter, even if was a smaller version in a walk behind mower, or used on wood chippers. Then the starter stuff should attach w/ nuts and bolts.

Personally, I'd just put an electrical disconnect on there too so the battery didn't drain so fast, and maybe if there was room, a car sized battery.

Shut off the electricity between mowings and away.
  11. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your valve lash is correct these engines start easy, heavy flywheel and low compression.

Find a similar engine in same family with pull start, and buy parts, soon you will be over $100.

You can get one of the jump start boxes pretty cheap, like for $50 and that will start it.

You can ebay a solar cell battery maintainer, for about $30 and that will also do it.

Or you can get the "widow maker"pull start another member sent you picture. A kickback is an experience, not recommended.

I have pull started a 100 HP inline six mercury 2 stroke, with the rescue rope. I had to put all my weight into it and in the process fall out of the boat each pull to get enough speed, it only took 3 pulls and the water was warm. So it can be done. Keeping your battery charged is recommended.

Rpd
  12. FixxiT

FixxiT Lunitic Fringe

Oddometer:
    I've done that once on a four cylinder two stroke 125hp outboard :deal
    Out crabbing at 12:00AM with spotlights & engine running at idle speed..engine stalled & battery was too low to crank..out on the Great South Bay and the tide was outgoing :eek1 read hello great dark atlantic ocean

It took two of us pulling the rope together to get a fast enough spin to get the engine to start...
  13. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that, drifting out FAST with a rushing tide in the river, old Mercury inline 6, dead as a Mackeral lol