iPhone Motorcycle App Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NachoRoto, Nov 15, 2010.

1. NachoRoto

NachoRoto Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer:
    Ok
    Let me start by saying I am not an Apple guy. The iphone and is the only thing I ever bought from Apple. I am not telling anyone to go buy one, but if you have one this will be hopefully grow into a thread for you.
    Post your Favorite App here. And please lets not have this turn into a "my phone is better then yours" pissing match. There are a lot of great phones out there. This is an iPhone APP thread. Apps realted(but not exclusive) to motorcycle travel.
  2. NachoRoto

Oddometer:
    OK
    That being said. I will start this off with a screen shot of my main screen. This is the stuff I use almost every day.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I am a Photographer by trade. My stuff leans in that direction. But for fun I play some of the Tag O Rama games here on ADV. And a lot of the above apps make it almost unfair when playing the game.

Most of these are obvious, so I will just talk about my 2 favorite TOR tools.

PS Express is free- And it is Photoshop. You can lighten, crop and more from just that program. Cropping is always a good thing if you are uploading from an area with poor internet.

Photobucket- Is where I choose to host my images. The app must of been designed by an ADV member. Its so easy to upload and post tags. The latest version is perfect. The original sucked. So if you tried it and deleted it, its time to come back to this wonderful free program.
  3. StarFleet

StarFleet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a iOS / Mac developer currently so I have a handful of iOS devices available to me ;)

Apps I use for motorcycling:

MotoMinder - Keeps track of service intervals and gas milage
    GreatestRoad - Find good rides wherever you are
    Campwhere - All state campgrounds stored on the device. Great for when you are looking for a place to stay but don't have any cellular connection.
    NorthFace Trailhead - Kinda alright if you are looking for a place to hike or mountain bike.

iOS 4.2 broke MotoMinder for me so I hope they fix it soon.
  4. NachoRoto

Oddometer:
    Nice. I could of used campwhere last weekend.
  5. wraith9

wraith9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Skype - great for making calls via wifi hotspots.
    Trip Journal - cool features for recording and posting your trip.
  6. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Navigon for when your primary GPS dies on you....pricey, but it works.
  7. ColoradoKevin

ColoradoKevin Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer:
    Skype is great.

Several of the weather apps have radar, which is nice when you're riding. I've used them to dodge thunderstorms multiple times.

I also like Campwhere and the built in Google Maps app is very useful.

Hipstamatic is a fun photography app.
  8. NachoRoto

Oddometer:
    Gps MotionX Drive- 99cents and it turns your phone into a full function gps unit. Voice turn by turn instructions for the first 30 days. $2.99 a month after that or $24 a year for the voice nav. Cheap considering your map info is always up to date. I use it for all my on road navigation. Offroad I use MotionX gps.
  9. dpifko

dpifko Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer:
    I agree with all of the above. I like to have 2 GPS apps on my iPhone at a time: a less expensive but connected/easier one that needs a network connection (e.g. Motion-X Drive) and a more expensive but slightly harder to use one that will work when I'm in an area without phone/3G coverage (e.g. TomTom).

For videos I've taken to using VLC. It's incredibly easy to drag and drop all my videos, in all their different formats, on the iPhone/iPad so I can view them while traveling. Though I personally don't even like listening to music while I'm riding, I figure it's only a matter of time until someone starts watching movies in flight. Actually, now that I think of it, maybe there needs to be an iPad holder for the pilot's back so the pillion can watch while moving ;-).
    And, of course, Greatest Road holds the most prominent place. :clap Actually, I do use it on a regular basis as a consumer, and have found a whole bunch of unknown-to-me roads nearby.

Daniel
  10. Road Agent

Road Agent Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a good App to use for a mini travel journal when on trips, just to take quick notes. Any Suggestions, I've looked around and none of the Apps I've looked at, seem to get great reviews. I'm looking at Simple Note, anyone using it?

Thanks,

Road Agent
  11. jtice

jtice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you guys have to try out www.Everytrail.com
    its awesome, both with the iPhone, or just using it to create trips from your gps unit.
  12. antonv

antonv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pandora Radio & Navigon streaming via Bluetooth to my SENA SMH10 unit.

I have the direct power to my tankbag, and can listen to music all day and have very accurate directions, all from one unit. Plus, if the gf calls, I can answer & speak to her.

Sure beats making playlists.

FYI, I despise Apple...... But for the bike, this is an all in one unit that does everything I need. I just need to jailbreak my phone so I can upload routes to Navigon. Its a PITA to make them on the phone.
  13. dpifko

Oddometer:
    How did you get power into the tankbag? There are a few options out there, so I'm curious to know which ones people like.

I haven't played with it much, but a friend's startup is doing something you may be interested in. Check out OnTheRoad at http://www.ontheroad.to/ . It's free, so there's no downside to investigating.
  14. antonv

antonv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cable with o-ring terminals with inline fuse from battery to sae male - powerlet tankbag connector (sae female to female) - powerlet sae male to dual cigarette sockets adapter - griffin powerjolt dual usb cigarette adaptor.

one cigarette for the iphone(dual usb cigg unit), one for my V1, or to recharge the Sena unit (havent had to yet....excellent battery life).

I turn off wifi, push email & put the screen brightness down a little bit....stays charged the whole time. Mounted on a ram mount handlebar mount, and I keep a non-lubricated "novelty/mint flavor" condom in the bag if it rains. Havent had to use it yet(for motorcycle or recreation).

The powerlet tankbag adapter isnt 100% waterproof. I purchased some clear silicone sealant to get into the little spots where water could get in. The problem is, these spots are tight & you cant cut a hole small enough in the sealant tube. I think im gonna buy a turkey marinating needle/injector, and try to suck up the silicone & seal the tankbag mount on the outside.
  15. dpifko

Oddometer:
    Do you find the mint flavor enhances your iOs pleasure? :rofl

Thanks for the details. Much appreciated.

Just to keep this on-thread - I had been using the Geocaching app but don't much anymore. It's pretty well put together, and fun for the kids, but I believe it's doing something under the covers that causes it to chew through the battery too quickly. Until they get that figured out I either use it sparingly on the iPhone or look for caches via the home/work computer.

16. thechickencow

thechickencow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the GC app as well, it is pretty handy to be able to find them wherever you are. They just posted and update today, haven't tried it yet to see if it's better or not.
  17. dpifko

Oddometer:
    I'll check. Nothing in the upgrade list, but they may have tweaked it anyway.

Y'know, the more I think about it the more appropriate GC is for a motorcycle app. Even when not on the bike, geocaching has taken me to some really cool locations I wouldn't have known about otherwise.
  18. Mudsurfer1234

Mudsurfer1234 Newbie Dual-Sporter

Oddometer:
    I'm just getting started with this style of riding (a sportbike convert). I don't have a RAM mount yet, but I have MotionX GPS and love it. After making a track in MapSource, you email the GPX file to gpsimport@motionx.com and will shortly get an email back with a link in it. Click this link (from your phone) and it automatically imports the track into the App. It's also pretty sweet to have so many different maps in one app, the Topo is pretty cool for finding any non-paved roads to ride (there are basically zero places to ride off road where I live).

Best $2.99 I spent so far.
  19. NachoRoto

Oddometer:
    I used it for a while and liked it. Then I had to travel across country to help a friend move. And it was going to be an all highway ride. So I downloaded Drive from MotionX. And loved it. I would love a real GPS devise. But MotionX is making it harder and harder for me to spend the money. The iPhone is as good or better then the low end ones. And the high end ones are just to darn expensive.
    If I planned on leaving the US I can see spending the cash. But for weird little weekend adventure in Civilization(or the pockets of country in between them), I will stick to the iPhone and my various Ram Mounts. The water proof box for the offroad. And the normal open mount for every day driving.
  20. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Navigon Mobile Navigator

It's a real GPS in that it doesn't need a mobile phone data signal in order to work. All you need is a satellite connection.

[​IMG]