Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. andyw

andyw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Audi/VW wouldn't be a bad fit for Ducati given VW's affection for high-end marques (Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, etc.). At least they have a passion for such things.... :raabia:feelgood :D

-SM
  3. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:

Looks like you guys can look forward to some well engineered sensible bikes with back brakes that work really well. :lol3

I am eagerly awaiting their turbo diesel MTS. :evil

Does that even work? Ducati and Diesel?

I thought they were going to buy Suzuki as well.

Anyway something to think about...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Yeah ... I guess VW/Audi group never produce anything vaguely interesting ... :D

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0XPtj7UR4yI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  5. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being a Lambp Fan I watched with interest as they transformed the brand into something that was well engineered and more sensible. They didn't loose the mojo just transformed the car into something that works better for most people.

The car now "just works" as intended. I donlt know but they probably have 10,000km service intervals now instead of every week.

And I bet they could do a diesel Strada and it would still be a good thing (Perhaps not a fast thing) but you never know....

[​IMG]

They probably would be just as busy concentrating on the back brake as they were on the motor.

The funny thing is Audi/VW or someone associated with them has been sneaking out pics of concept bikes for a while..

There have been KTM-VW joint venture rumours, Possible Suzuki Moto buy out rumours and now Ducati.

Hey maybe all three will go at once in a bold industry sucking move...(they seem to like buying companies)

So I for one would not be terribly worried about VW group pushing Ducati in the wrong direction or changing what makes a Ducati a Ducati..
    But I bet they engineer the less than perfect elements out of them.

On the other hand I can see some more well sorted fancy computer controlled do dads appearing. But there cars are very understated. (Audio brand that is) but very capable. They are not attention grabbers that is all. Very clean designs which can mean boring to some.
  6. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't see the VAG group allowing the 6 week mid-summer shutdown.
  7. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe with all the robots they own they may just give them a 52 week vacation. :deal
  8. Lightisright

Lightisright Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from the dealer and am going to test ride a MS12TS and an 800XC tomorrow. I really like the Ti color and they have one on the floor. How do you think this matte finish will wear? Will scrubbing bugs off of it cause polished shiny spots?

Also, how much are the extended bag lids? I like the bike but it makes me nervous that it's money on top of money. He said the 15k service runs about $1000, although I usually do all my own maintenance (did my own belts/valves on my old 900SS, though there was about a million less things to remove).

I'm all over the place re bikes. Trying to ride as many as I can. Have a friend that's going to loan me his GSA12 for a day or two. This dealer's Explorer demo is due in end of March, as is another's Stelvio (not a demo).
  9. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:

If you live in Southern California, you can have a nice long test ride by renting an MS from Rentaducati.com. A friend and I rented a Hyper and a Multistrada. I had been wanting an HM for 3 years, badly. After riding the Multistrada 1200 I have no thoughts at all of the HM but cannot get Multistrada off my mind. You won't be "all over the place" after riding a Multistrada. Try it on Ortega highway or Mt Palomar.....it will remove all doubts about what to buy.
  10. Lightisright

Lightisright Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I should add my location, unfortunately I'm in NE Ohio, not sunny Cali. My demo ride was just around town, 25-45mph speed limits. I was really afraid I'd be spending $20k this afternoon but the MS isn't quite there for me. The other bike was a Tri 800XC, wrong for other reasons (mostly not enough motor). <edit add> And I know these two bikes are on opposite sides of the adv market, but I wanted to try both and this dealer had a demo model of each one. Just figuring out what I want.

Even doing the work myself which I would, I don't like the idea of belts/valves adj practically every year. The seating position was too tight also (an '11, the '12 I sat on was a little better). The modes are fun but I think I'd end up just riding it in the same one all the time anyway. I'll have to take another look when they put the Panigale engine in it in a couple of years.
  11. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I rode a multi last night, Nice bike. Tons of power!:D
  12. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you didn't get to ride it in the really twisties and for a long time, you probably weren't able to see what the Multi is all about.

I love my 950 SM, but I have ever been so impressed with a bike than I was with the Multistrada...great motor, come out of the turn with the front end very slightly off the ground, perfect balance ( due to the bike, not me), motor just keeps on pulling and pulling predictably, 7 hr riding days and no butt fatigue, wind protection was fine, slightly upright riding position was perfect.

Coming into downhill turns on Mt Palomar, the back end would naturally lighten as you brake, the slipper-type clutch would ensure the back end did not slide or chatter. Have never ridden anything so easy to ride hard.
  13. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't kid yourself about doing your own MTS1200 "major" (i.e. 15K mile) maintenance. I, too, was under the same illusion, but it ain't gonna happen. If I decide to keep my bike, I will spring for a dealer service contract.

I've got a total of 25,000 miles on two MTS1200S's, split about equally over the two bikes (totalled the first one). Both have proven to be extremely reliable, FWIW. It is a very impressive piece of hardware. Have done cross-country trips on the thing with great satisfaction.

--Doc

PS. If any MTS1200 owners have actually DONE the 15K mile maintenance, I'd like to hear about it. I've heard of nobody. Nada. I got as far as the airbox, then got stymied (see photo from my shop below).

[​IMG]
  14. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey, Doc....let me know if you decide to sell your Multi ( and that recliner lo0ks pretty spiffy too :thumb )
  15. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Way to hang in there Doc. I gave up when it took dealer 3 wks and warranty to get the tank off.

Really did like the ride tho!
  16. Dr. Greg

Oddometer:
    Hah! Shoulda brought it to my place. I can have the tank off in a couple hours.

After retirement from my professor job in May, I'm looking to do some serious cross-North America travel in the years ahead. Dunno if the MTS1200S is the bike to do it on...seems more track-day oriented. Although I have taken it cross-country...

Wish they'd make more bikes for "normal" sized people...all the "ADV-style" bikes I've test-ridden are too darn big. MTS is the best size, have to admit.

Decisions, decisions...maybe just go back to the '06 Uly. Although it DID strand me on FOUR consecutive rides a coupla years ago...

--Doc
  17. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Here's the answer Doc. Cross country mile muncher, easy to swing a leg over, easy to service or have serviced pretty much anywhere, and per your other quibble w/ the MTS12, it even comes w/ cruise control standard:

[​IMG]

And it's RED! :lol3

:hide

-SM

P.S. Congrats on the impending retirement! :thumb I wish you many miles of safe 2-wheeled travel in the years ahead. :clap
  18. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had my 15K m service done. Cost around $800.00. Didn't even think about doing this service myself either. Not enough time or patience.

Just had my 2nd replacement gas tank installed. Yep, you read that right, original tank replaced, replacement now replaced. All due to the interior rotating nuts. Terrible, absolutely terrible quality or design.

Glad I bought the extended warranty.

Heading out or town on it this thursday, probably big bend or the hill country.

Other the gas tank so far it has been really reliable. Great fit for me.
  19. Dr. Greg

Oddometer:
    Boy, that's an awfully "reasonable" price for the 15K service. First I've heard less than $1K. Sorry to hear about the tank; both my bikes have been fine in that regard although nobody ever wrenched on 'em except me.

Enjoying meeting you and your dad a while back; have a great trip wherever you go. If you come thru ABQ again let me know.

--Doc
  20. Dr. Greg

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's an OLD MAN'S BIKE! Just because I'm retired doesn't mean I have to sacrifice my favorite Ducati advertising slogan from the 90's:

SPEED, SOPHISTICATION, and STYLE!

Thanks for the kind wishes. Eight weeks and counting...

--Doc