Protaper handlebar R100GS PD

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by cK75, Feb 17, 2010.

1. cK75

cK75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which Protaper Contour handlebar would you recommend for a R100GS PD, Pastrana FMX, ATV Hi or Raptor Hi?
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Buenas dias! Ma Espana es en mal estado :rofl

How tall are you? what are you going to do with the bike, all pavement? or a bunch of offroad?

I like a dirtbike style, which have very little sweep (The bend back towards you) and while I sure would like them a little higher because I stand a lot, having the bars pretty close to original stock height preserves the great street-ability

Edit: I have the ProTaper Carmichael SE's.
  3. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    i have the ATV hi model. they are very close to the stock bars. i can't comment on the models you mentioned.
  4. AliBaba

AliBaba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also looking for handlebars with less sweep.
    Pics? Height?
  5. cK75

cK75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would say that my riding is 90% pavement 10% off road but sometimes on road I like to stand some minutes to get my butt a rest :D :D This are the specs (lenghtxheightxsweep) in mm (1 inche=254 mm)

Pastrana FMX 775x121x55
    ATV Hi 813x121x55
    Raptor Hi 770x143x86.5

Im not sure about the original specs, I just know just lenght is 780 mm. I think that a 55 mm sweep would be better for my wrists. I have also thought about using a 2´ Rox bar riser. Am I in the right way? :scratch
  6. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=0CAwQBSgA&q=carmichael+SE+handlebars&spell=1

[​IMG]

THere is very little rise to these, but due to my arrangement with the HPM clamp and Scotts business, it ends up at about the same height as stock. I'd like to put risers on, but am waiting till I need new throttle cables :D

Stock rise is about 200mm, thats all I know. Width is almost the same as stock, that is: just a hair wider than the cylinders :D
  7. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The PO fitted RXT wide and flat fats on, err, custom made, risers which put them about 70mm up and back.
    The are around 980 wide too, good leverage if you have to get it up off its side-----.

Suit me fine for road and off road too, but I only stand up to pass gas--.
  8. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    Mine has the stock bars on risers/setbacks. And the stock cables are still long enough.
  9. AliBaba

AliBaba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    It looks like I will need 130mm risers if I use Carmichael, that's to much for me.

It's winter and loads of snow right now, guess I need to be able to testride to get the right sweep/setback/rise-combination.
  10. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Mine seemed to be pulling a little, but my routing sucks :deal

Ali- I pulled my info of 200mm off of somebodies (gunsmokes?) page... I didngt measure myself. That does seem like a lot, doesnt it? I know they are working better for my back when I am sitting, but they are still too low for standing. The stock ones put a small crick in my back, even though the cornering/handling was great.
  11. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    At first, there was cable binding. Some routing trickery is required :deal

I guess another thing that helped me is my footpegs are lower by about 1.5". Even the raised bars were a bit low at first but with the new pegs, everything seemed right. I would also caution on being too upright. Your bottom spine takes a hell of a beating on rough terrain. Perfect position is still slightly crouched. Though not as comfy. Ask your bone doctor :thumb
  12. AliBaba

AliBaba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure how easy to compare numbers. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The distance from center top to center bottom is approx 190-195mm, but the handlebar is tilted backwards so the real height is more like 175mm (with my tilting).<o:p></o:p>
  13. cK75

cK75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At last I have found a good offer for a Magura xline EX so I have bought it, I think it has a good specs for a comfort riding:

Lenght: 795 mm
    Height:120 mm
    sweep: 87 mm

I will show you pictures and give my opinion when instaled and tested, I hope to have taken the right decission :clap
  14. Sako

Sako Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a similar setup to stagehand. Hpmguy's kit with the scotts damper. I went with the atv hi. I also have a set of fastway pegs mounted in the low position and it seems to work well for standing. A little higher might be better but I really like the overall handling so I doubt I will change anything. My height is 5'11"
  15. Stagehand

Oddometer:

I think Cigars and Scotch did the same thing as you, with the high ATV's. I also have the fastways in the low position.

I'm somewhere in the 5'9 range.. He's maybe the same or a hair shorter?