Yamaha FZ-07 vs Honda NC700X

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Solarbronco, Jun 5, 2014.

1. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    6'6" on either bike will be cramped if not down right comfortable for anything but around down.......but on the Yamaha it will be like a monkey fffing a football:eek1:eek1:eek1
  2. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    it has good power as you can see from this 0-60-100mph video. keep in mind those numbers are achieved with a two cylinder 700cc. perhaps neither here nor there in the bigger scheme of things, but with a claimed fuel economy of 58mpg under "normal" riding it has to count for something

looks like a good, smooth, fast ride

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EsZ1Y9svvKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. bamamate

bamamate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My parking lot picture isn't as impressive ad Doctor Zed but I'm getting there

[​IMG]
  4. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:

Or, you can add Madstad base w/V-Strom bracket and interchange shields with a Strom:

[​IMG]
  5. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:

4.8 sec 0-60 is not exactly a rocket ship but sounds a lot like the NC700 :clap:clap:clap except the NC gets 75 mpg
  6. DeejayP999

DeejayP999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are and it does! :evil
  7. DeejayP999

DeejayP999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guy in that vid ain't much of a rider.

I've ridden both of these bikes and the Yam's much quicker than the Honda.

With 50 hp and 218kg vs 75 hp and 179kg it's never going to be any other way.
  8. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    agreed. but as the above poster noted the rider is somewhat casual about the run

that said 4.8 to 60mph and 10sec to 100mph isn't terrible for the bike. or any bike, really. will sure get the job done

i have seen a lot of runs done with the FZ6 and its usually a high 3 second run (3.9 to 60mph, for instance) and a low 9sec to 100mph. and i think the FZ6 is plenty fast. my guess is a "seat of my pants" test on the FZ07 would satisfy me enough. i certainly consider it a "fast" bike. and while their are faster that means just that, faster. and we know what those are :deal

Yamaha claims 3.5secs to 60 for my FZ6, and 7.87 to 100mph. optimistic, perhaps. but just a hair. and not that much faster then the FZ07 in the real world, most likely. i am sure most could live with it
  9. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like numbers as much as anybody, but that's only part of the story. For the public road rider (and especially in this class of bike), that's a relatively small part of the story. The power character and delivery is much more important than the quantity of peak power. A bike that runs a bit faster in the 1/4, 0-60, whatever, is not worth as much to me as a bike that has good torque, roll-on, etc. If I'm looking at speed and numbers, none of these bikes cuts it. Give me useability and good power characteristics for a fun, responsive, easy to use bike in the real world every time. Again, for the public road and recreational riding...
  10. mcmann

mcmann Kid at Heart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good point . . . Nothing wrong with the NC700X as an everyday bike to roam around a country road. It will not be as exciting as the FZ-07 . . . Not many bikes out there that will match up to the FZ power and weight ratio . . . In my humble opinion.
  11. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    The Yamaha is going to spank the Honda in every time to speed and top speed comparison you can come up with. This is old news....hopefully no one buys an NCX thinking it's mission brief is high performance thrills. If they do I'm sure they are disappointed.

On the other hand the way I use my motorcycles a street fighter style bike isn't ever going to be on my radar and if I bought this type of bike for easy going 250 to 400 mile day rides and the occasion 2500 miles on a 4 or 5 day tour I would be the one disappointed. Sure, you could man up, tough it out, maybe rig up some wind protection and figure out some luggage but why? Viewed like this, my needs, these two bikes have no business in the same thread. When I read the first reviews on the Yamaha I thought what an exciting affordable motorcycle but it never crossed my mind as a bike that fit my needs. If it fits your needs I'm happy for you. The world needs more happy motorcyclists!
  12. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the NC-700X is a fine bike and really hope that they still make them when I turn 80 years old.
  13. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Even if they don't make them when you turn 80, I suspect those low revving engines will run forever & there will probably be a bunch of them available on craigslist. :lol3
  14. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
    Yamaha's advertising is pretty slick. They made the same kinda videos with the Bolt then destroyed the competition with it.

I've been saying for years Suzuki needed to make an SV700 with an alluminum frame. I guess Yamaha heard me.
  15. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you're wrong because I have owned and raced an XR100 and YSR50 (RM80 powered) as an adult. I probably did look like an amorous monkey, but I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks. And I feel confident that I can make the FZ fit me! :D
  16. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Inyokern - middle of nowhere, center of everything
    I've been gone and just came back. I posted early I own a NC700X and I DON'T like it. Well, I don't. Anyway, I don't compared to a lot of bikes I have owned. Some good points were stated and at the risk of just dwelling on me I'll respond to them.

Them small bikes are wifey's. The Wolf was her starter bike and now the Ninjette is what's she's riding. I knew the Wolf was going to be an expensive start to her riding career but it was worth it. Before the WRR I had a DRZ400S and a DR650. I like the WRR because it does my DS mission better. My sig is out of date having just sold the Sportster, and I had a Triumph 955i RS for several years.

I have my reasons. 17 months ago I underwent a three level cervical fusion. I have extensive spinal cord damage from the underlying condition, and it wasn't clear to me after all this I would be able to ride anything let alone sportbikes etc. You can't imagine what it is like having a "bobble head" feeling after going through an ordeal like I had. So, I needed a completely upright bike with softer suspension. I didn't want to buy a 12K bike like the Tiger 800 (which I ridden and I like a lot) just to find out I can't ride anymore. I live hours away from LA so the used pickings out here are limited. I took a $4,900 chance buying the NCX knowing pretty well the nature of the beast. I find sometimes with a iffy bike I grow to like it - I've owned some 75-80 road bikes over the last 40 years. But with the NCX I find the engine irritates me more and more, especially in the mountains on roads I know well. Roads I've taken many wonderful bikes on.

BTW, I've become a lot stronger in the last 6 months and can get out for full days now. My range of neck motion is slightly less than 50% so no racer position for me anymore.

Well, look, I think most of that is marketing hooey. You can ride the bike like an old man if you want, but you can ride lots of bikes that way. The Bonneville comes to mind. I find the MPG claims kind of hilarious - I get low 60's on my NCX because I ride it like I stole it. My 955i RS would routinely get 53-55 going even faster. I routinely got 60-65 mpg with the two Dakars I've owned. BTW, I'd trade my NCX for a clean low miles Dakar in a heartbeat. If I ghosted around at 55 mph and 3000 RPM I guess I'd get 70 mpg too. But then I might as well be in a car, or on my WRR.

I like my bikes lean and simple, with an advantageous power to weight ratio. I like the adventure format but not at 600 pounds, and I don't pose with giant aluminum panniers. I've been the sportbike route and found it uncomfortable and 100+ HP was actually less fun in the mountains because of never being able to really used the engine - this is why I would take the FZ-07 over the FZ-09. Thinking the Duke 690 would be a perfect bike I luckily got to test ride one before buying one, so not a bike I could live with on a long ride, I need a much smoother engine. If the 2V Multistrada didn't have that ridiculous tank problem I'd probably go that route again - I loved riding my Multi 1000DS, but not the built in engineering flaws.

I will end my rant with saying the NCX is a divisive bike - you like it or you don't. In my case I don't because of the truncated engine. I've owned bikes just as comfortable, just as versatile, and way funner to ride.
  17. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If ridden in a certain way maybe. Ridden normally you can count on low 60's, not bad but not unique.

But the acceleration - really, you think the NCX would be anything at all like the FZ-07?
  18. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Time to sell it and move on. Life is too short to ride the wrong motorcycle. Counting time in another forum you have expressed remorse for 3 months now. Isn't that long enough?
  19. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I do not nor do I care ..........but Just according to the video fz is at 4.8. NC is 4.9 in mag reports .........It is not my video or my # if they are wrong nobody bothered to correct them with facts. As others stated 4.8 is fast enough ???

I do not baby the NC and the last three tanks avg 75.4 mpg (and nobody does 55 on the freeways or highways where I ride)

I have another bike for triple digit two up cruising.......but since I ride daily and still have my license I do not do that either.
  20. mojave

mojave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave, yes indeed.

I don't post over on the NC700X forum anymore because I'm done with the NCX. It's pointless to do so as I just don't have much positive to say. Nice bunch there though. I merely have made some comments over here since the post is comparing two very different motorcycles. People may question my actions/decisions or whatever for even owning the bike but as I said I have my reasons. Or excuses. As an owner but not really a fan of the bike I think I have some insight into the NCX. I sometimes think the fans of the NCX portray certain attributes in an, ahem, overly positive way.

Showkey, greetings,

Back when I got the NCX and was very curious about MPG, especially since I was getting low 60's, and some report in the mid 70's. I looked around pretty thoroughly and found low-mid 60's to be the more common MPG. I'm stuck with crap California gas, and I know that makes a difference, but I just don't think mid 70's is characteristic. To me this is like the people that claim 18,000 miles from a rear tire, and I'm lucky to get 5,000. They may get such but I don't see how. I think the metedata for resolving such a question will never exist without going on a ride together.

I spent a couple minutes on the spreadsheet looking at power to weight. Using me as a 170 pound rider the NCX is 51 HP at 640 pounds, the FZ-07 is 75 HP at 565 pounds. The FZ-07 is up 66-68 percent in power to weight. Yes, yes, I'm guessing what the actual FZ-07 power is, but regardless, there is a huge difference, and I think the expression "left for dead" would fit how the NCX would fare against the FZ-07. I see vid of the bike getting to 130 mph. The fastest I could coax the NCX to on level ground was 105 (not withstanding that German vid of 119mph, seemingly a modded NCX).

While I don't normally go over 80-85, sometimes I do. A few weeks ago on a lonely desert highway, against a mild headwind, I watched my wife on her first gen Ninja 250 slowly walk away from me. I was flat out at 102.