v-strom or a ulysses?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by z987k, Jun 4, 2008.

1. z987k

z987k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at getting a new bike, the 600 ninja just doesn't do what I want in a bike anymore. I want a dual sport/adventure/touring type of bike, but I don't have a ton of money so these seem to be two good options out there. There also seems to be a bunch of guys on this forum with both so I figured someone can sway me one way or another, but really I have questions on them.

First the V or the wee? Honestly it's not going to see a bunch of offroad but gravel and dirt is another thing.
    I'd really like to see something with a range of 200 or better, the seat and seating to be comfortable. I also need it to be a rock solid engine and all around machine that will take a beating every day and get up the next like nothing happened.

Now Buell claims something like 60mpg on over a 1000cc twin, somehow I doubt that. I've also heard people say the 1000cc strom only gets like 30's... that's horrible.
    I assume the torque curve on both the strom and buell are fairly flat and how plenty of power down low, but do they cruise 80+ all day long as well without problem, even in high winds?

Any problems with that exhaust can under the bike on the buell?

What are the pros/cons on the belt drive vs chain, I've always seen chain vs shaft.

Crash bars are something I really like. I've seen many out there for the V, but how about the ulysses?

Thanks for any input, and if there's another bike out there that I should look into point me to it, I just picked these 2(3) bikes out because it seems the overall cost of ownership would be lower, and whatever I'm getting it'll be used to let another owner that that hit.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Code:
    V-Strom® 650               MSRP  $6,699.00
    V-Strom® 650 ABS           MSRP  $7,199.00
    V-Strom® 1000              MSRP  $8,999.00 
    Buell Ulysses® XB12X       MSRP $11,495.00
    Buell Ulysses® XB12XT      MSRP $12,995.00
  3. z987k

z987k Long timer

Oddometer:
    well that really settles a lot of that, but what about a 650 vs a 1000? I'm 6'2" 190 and do a bunch of highway every day which also needs to be considered.
  4. rwven

rwven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. longdog uk

longdog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Off road, neither really, dirt roads, fire roads, gravel, possibly the Strom, but not much to choose. The Strom has better low speed running characteristics due to the gearing.

If you want a 200 mile range, choose the Strom. I get 150 -160 from my Uly. (These figures are in English gallons).

Both all day comfy, although I did have a Sargeant seat on my old Strom. My Uly doesnt need any mods in the seating department.

Both good motors, less maintainence required for the Uly, (hydraulic lifters). Possibly better overall reliabilty from the Strom, electrically speaking.

The Uly is more economical than the Strom in similar circumstances, but the Strom has the greater tank range.

Uly has flatter torque curve, but Strom is strong too. Both are happy at 80-90 all day in any conditions really. Two-up too if that's what you like.

The can on the Uly rusts. No other issues as long as you realise your not riding an enduro bike!

Belt is smoother with less transmission snatch. Carry a spare. Chain is chain, fit a Scottoiler.

No crash bars available for the Uly.

Uly is more fun to ride, especially on tarmac, but the Strom won't disappoint either. These are two very good bikes. Ride both and draw your own conclusions.
  6. illusivedreams

illusivedreams Crossfiremotorcycles

Oddometer:
    But ULY looks so aggressive and cool ...

ULY for me regardless of preformance.

My good friend has one and it has been at the track as well as on most trails.

So best of both...Two up is nice and comfy...Plus the rack that converts intoback rest///
  7. jstcrashnthru

jstcrashnthru Livin' the dream

Oddometer:
    There are numerous threads about the Vee vs. Wee thing. There are also several writeups by guys who have had both here: http://vstrom.info/

It comes down to personal preference and what kind of budget you have. I take my Vee down gravel roads almost everytime I ride. It's big, it's heavy, but it does the job and I wouldn't trade the power of that motor for a few more miles per gallon. FWIW I get consistently 40-43 mpg on my Vee. I saw 46 once, but I was going really easy on it just to see what I could get.
  8. atoms

atoms drunk

Oddometer:
    The sub 200 mile range is really my only gripe with my Uly. Especially if you want to run at 80mph all day - which is entirely feasible and fun - one or two up. I can get up to 190 miles on a tank, but usually find myself refilling at around 160.

You don't need crash bars on Uly. The frame sticks out and has slider pucks at the extremities.

You live in Champaign, Illinois so you may want to consider keeping some of your fellow citizens employed by sending your money to Wisconsin instead of Japan.

And finally, while the Strom is certainly a great bike, its ugliness is just ugly, where the Uly's ugly is cool.
  9. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4791&Page=1

It may not be the "coolest", it certainly isn't the fastest, but it does fit most of your criteria...:thumb
  10. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both bikes have a lot of happy owners. The Strom is cheaper, so it would be convenient if you really fell in love with it. :)

Uh, perhaps if you rode it at 45 mph :rofl. Realistically, if you're running 80 mph, you're going to get in the low to mid 40s. That's riding it like a motorcycle. I've gotten in the low 50s cruising down the interstate between 70 and 75 trying to get good mileage.

I can't speak for the Strom. The Buell does fine. It's a naked bike, and some complain about the lack of wind protection. I've never had a faired bike, so I don't have a reference point. I did an 8000 mile trip around the US last october. Every day was 500+ miles, the longest was 900. There was wind, rain, and snow (fortunatly only a little snow.) Most of it was on the interstate, running at least 80. Oregon was very windy, TX had a lot of wind too. It was fine.

It rusts. Ceramic coat it. (HPC $55.)

The biggest (actually the only) con of the belt is that they occasionally break, at which point you're walking. They don't break often, probably no more than a chain does. But you can often fix a broken chain, and every bike shop in the world carries chain.

On the plus side, the belt never needs lubrication, and there is no tension adjustment when you put the wheel on. There is no drive lash either. You should never have to replace the belt or the sprockets.

My personal solution to the "what if it breaks" worry was to replace the belt at 22,000 miles, in preperation for a trip I was about to make. I keep the original as a spare. When I did the trip across the country, I carried it with me, though it usually just hangs in my garrage.

The Uly service manual is $70 and well written. Buying that will significantly reduce your cost of ownership compared to dealer services. :) The 5000 mile services basically consists of changing the oil and adjusting the clutch. The 10,000 mile service calls for resetting the TPS (prior to 08) and changing the fork oil as well. I choose not to do those myself, though I don't think either is too difficult.
  11. mn_northstar

mn_northstar n00b

Oddometer:
    I have 13,500 miles in two years on the Vee 1000. I know it is not a lot for some folks but I have managed that with a 5-mile commute to work and weekends. My MPG with the power commander is about 30-32 depending on riding. It was well in the 40's before the PCMIII. I fitted the bike with GIVI crash bars, E-36 monokey panniers and recently a taller GIVI windscreen. I am not man-whoring for givi it is really about the price point and my budget. If you get the Vee you will need to DIY on the centerstand. I love my bike but b/c of the tall screen & bags on the highway it sometimes can feel like a box-kite. It rides better heavy when Loaded down than on my daily commute. The chain is not too bad if you do not mind a little splattering. I oil about every 200-300 miles and the original chain & sprockets are still hanging tough. Hope this is useful. G
  12. 79SouthJim

79SouthJim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chose the V-strom last month. I love the Uly, but I really wanted the option to put on knobbies. I have only seen one Uly with knobbies and it looked like it required some modification to do it.

Jim
  13. Galloper

Galloper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Uly and a Wee here in the garage but giving someone else advice on which to buy :huh that ain't easy. If you want permagrin I'd say the Uly but when it's colder I prefer the Strom.
    When riding in the dark also the Strom, those lights are awesome and the Uly's don't even come close with HID.

Just try to testride both on the same day if you haven't done that already.
  14. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both are great bikes and would suit the riding that you mentioned.

For me, the Uly was the better choice, even with the price difference. I will admit that I paid $4000 for character.

The Ulysses is a bike that lets you know you are riding a bike. I like the rough and ready looks, the shaking at low RPM, all of those things that make the Uly what it is.

The Strom (I test rode a Wee) was nice bike, but it just didn't have any peronality.

79SouthJim mentioned the tire selection issue. The Uly is certianly limited in this category. However, for what you are talking about for riding, you really won't need knobbies anyway. I just put a set of Distanzia tires on mine, and they absolutely rock. The stock tires were OK, but I wanted a bit more grip when the pavement ends..

Like was said before, take both for a test ride if you can. Buells are not for everyone, but those that can look beyond the spec sheets and actually ride them usually come away impressed.
  15. Dancamp

Dancamp Guest

I own a wee, 2 summers

25,000 mi., 45 mpg, 2 sets of tires. Just changed chain and sprockets. Oil changes every 4,000 mi.. I installed a k&n filter.

I use it to go to work 75 mi. a day.

I go camping with it one and 2 up. Can keep 75 mi/hre for hours up and downhill. Gravel roads no problems. Trail is ok but have to check for clearance if there are big rocks. Too heavy in mud and deep sand.

If you do a lot of offroad put on tkc-80 tires.

I would only change it if the need to do more trail would arise. The bike is smooth, easy handling and easy to take care of.

And remember this, the blue one is the faster.

Daniel.
  16. chas1969

chas1969 Go! Far w/Less ADVer

Oddometer:
    Uly's advantages over V-Strom:

Simple air-cooled engine
    No-need to adjust valve stuff
    Super EZ maintence
    Never-Oil/adjust belt
    Better shocks
    Do-It-UrSelf Fuel Injection and computer hook-up (diagnostics, change maps..)
    Better MPG (wait on the 08: 10-15% less than 07-06)
    Better torque at low down rpms

And some of the 08' improvements can be changed over to the 07-06s. Buy a new old stock 07-06 or used at a great discount.

Chas
  17. crocapo

crocapo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buy V-strom.It is definitly batter bike then Ugly!strom is famous bike al over the world like ktm,varadero,gs,caponord...A ugly is riding only in USA.Those things talking something about bike...
  18. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '06 Uly sits at 48,000+ miles; should pass 50K in a couple weeks. I've ridden for 50 years (sportbikes/dirtbikes/justbikes) and the Uly is my favorite of all time. Zero problems in all that time (OK, ok, low-beam headlamp seems to fail every 18K miles ;-). Original belt (I carry a spare belt and tools to change it; easy to change on the road).

Handles better on-pavement than my Aprilia Mille; does fine on hard surfaces off-pavement. I routinely get 200 mi range, but I ride like an old lady except through the corners.

Cross country or cross town...it's a winner. A couple of my recent ride reports here and here.
  19. BikeMan

BikeMan smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer:
    ULY, sport bike with bags.
    Vee Strom with 6th. gear OD (5k=95mph) is much better touring bike. :bmwrider
  20. exsporty

exsporty Just ride

Oddometer:
    The last point is the key. You really need a 6th gear for any distance travel at hwy speed. The Uly with the Sportster engine is about buzzing pretty good at hwy speed, and the Vee isn't even breaking a sweat. I like the Uly's looks, but the range, and lack of an OD really limit this bike's ability to compete in this class. If HD would make a 6th gear for the Sportster mill the Uly would then be able to get over 200 hwy miles on a tank. I think the Uly has the better quality front end.

Our Vee drive chains wear out that's a fact, but a Uly's primary chain and tensioner wear out as well. Their lifters tend get noisey, and need replacing around half century mark. So the HD/Uly valve train is not entirely maintenance free. Vee lifters have been known to never need adjusting, or maybe the first time and none thereafter.