World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Well, with the Pencil barrel on the Panther it is one of the few tanks I feel comfortable being in a battle with tiers one or two levels higher than I am. Sure, it isn't a brawler with tier 9's, but if my team does anything approaching normal, I can use the Panther to snipe and pen at amazing distances (the gun is derogatorily named "The Laser" by people who don't like getting hit by it, and since they took out the PzIV's sniper gun... I'd play the Panther with its gun before they go nerfing that, too).

While I have hated the German heavy line (maybe due to the types of players who play them more than the tanks, but I was constantly whined to that the Tiger II and E-75 couldn't hold their own as top-tier tanks, either, by the guys who drove them a lot in my last clan... so inevitably we'd have less big tanks pushing and fail more - due to either the tank or the player, I'm still not sure which), the Panther treated me well, and I know that E50 owners and the new tier-ten 50B drivers seem to really like them (even in clan wars for the tier ten).

Something else I'm hearing since the release of 8.0 from a few in my current clan (who are much better players than my last) is that they are finding the frontal armor or lower glacis on German heavies (mentioned was either the Tiger II or E-75, I forget) was now bouncing everything. WG may have made the German heavies a little better? One way or another I'm not going to fall for it for now. I'll wait until enough people either praise the new armor, or see if this can't-penetrate thing wears off.

E-75: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/164082-80-normalization-e75-happier-heavy/

German tanks and normalization (one poster in it states he thinks the Tiger II did get better, and another post in it believes that the IS-3 didn't get the buff to its front that it should have received): http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/164016-german-heavies-and-normalization/
  2. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    I just upgraded to the BL9 on the IS3. I was hesitant to do so as I dont like the tank much, and having to get 165k xp for the IS8 is just painful :cry

game name is suiciderush

I find the new gun to be slightly better, but it's still the armor I'm hurting for. I will upgrade the turret for slightly better protection when I can. I had xp saved for the hummel and spent some of it on the bl9 :shog
  3. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    So, the new PzIV will be as armored as my Priest:lol3 The armor was never anything to write home about, but if it comes out, I'll probably sell my current one and transfer my 200% crew. It's just not very fun to play.

The stug kept the sniper gun though:deal In Himmlesdorf, I hid behind a berm inside the train station in an encounter battle covering the cap. I was mostly invisible with my net and binocs I could see almost all the way across the yard. Just happily poking holes in anything that wandered by.

I'm turning into less a fan of the high tier brawls. Still trying for the Patton, but I'm having more fun with the Stug and SU26.
  4. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    Actually, I was referring specifically to the new premium tier 5 and tier 6 tanks. I've long waited for a premium tier 6 medium. It is awful that it had to be German. :cry
  5. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I still like the IS, but i rarely play my Tiger2. Guess I just don't know to play it well.

Su26, stug, Hellcat, T26 are what I play most often. KV-1 also seems more fun to play now, as well as the AMX12t.

I still hate the E8. :lol3

Only problem with playing lower tiers is the constant idiot teams... people working their way up and trying to learn how to play.
  6. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    T25AT or T25/2? I do like the idea of the turret, but the AT has a bigger gun....
  7. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I like the E8, but it doesn't pay as well as my others.

Is the Premium PzIV gonna be a 5 or 6?
  8. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    I always suggest saving free XP to upgrade existing tanks (like to have the best gun) than to reach that next goal and have to run a tank stock. Never, ever run a tank or TD stock if you don't have to - and with Free XP to move around, none of us ever has to unless we spent the XP on attaining that next tank goal (usually an unwise choice). In the case of German arty being as good as it is to play, and the time it takes to get actual camo skills going on a 100% arty crew, you may be far better off working that crew hard with the current arty you have (is that the Grille? If so - the Grille is a major Tank Company player, and I just bought a Grille again, and am now training up its crew to 100% for TC's) to both earn the XP, the silver, and the crew skills. (Many pages ago in this thread I gave hard-learned suggestions to newer players, you may want to go back and read them if your current style is just to get that next tank or tier as fast as possible)

Well, both.

I bought both at about the same time, and both are good. The T25 AT was my favorite for its tier, but if they didn't change its gun characteristics in 8.0, they at least did change the gun sounds... and for some reason I feel as if I'm being thrown off my focus, aim and effectiveness with the T25 AT now. I haven't read anything about it being changed, so I'll keep at it, but while the new sounds are different, I guess, the crispness and identification of which sounds are which seems to make the whole game more 'muddy' to play for me, and the T25 AT was the most notable. But, again, I could be mixing that up with an actual nerf I'm not reading about.

The T25/2 is a major hull-down player, so if you have those skills from playing American heavies, it's a nice little sniper tank that has great speed down hill. The T25 AT seems to speed along very fast even on level terrain.
  9. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    Both T25 variants are pretty awesome. IMHO, the T25 AT is the most fun you can have in the US TD tree. But ultimately, it depends on which line you want to end up with.

The 25/2 line lets you branch over to the fixed-gun line at tier 8. The turret line is noticeably faster in tier 9-10, but more vulnerable to fire. The fixed-gun line is slower, but can hold a choke point solo and often requires arty intervention to defeat.
  10. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
  11. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I could see getting that and an SU-122 Premium. I like playing TD's and I don't want to run through the entire line. I could sell some junk in the garage to pad my paypal account and get some gold.:deal
  12. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    put the 10.5 back on the pziv

now its got a punch
  13. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    Which barrel is that, on the Panther? I'm researching it based on your advice, and love a good sniper. Ever since the Death Ray 107 on the SU-85... I've been missing a good tank for the role.
  14. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Smithy, it's the 7,5 cm KwK 45 L/100......not a lot of damage, but it will pen just about anything and is pretty accurate out to max draw distance.
  15. Smithy

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  16. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Smithy, like I wrote - you'll love it when you're not top tier. As a top-tier tank the Panther's 100 barrel can be frustrating in a city peek-a-boo battle when other boom-sticks take so much damage off of you... but then while I knew that , and felt it, for a good while, as I played it - more and more - entering a battle with the 100 and being top-tier became less and less of an issue. It's not that I wasn't still apprehensive about it, but since then I haven't really found it to hinder my winning as much as it should in theory.

This is one barrel and tank that you may to want the radioman's skill to be the one that allows you to see farther based on things other people light up. You can both hit, and pen, at maximum distances.

I run a camo net, binoculars, and a gun rammer on mine. 58.7% win ratio with it, and a simply incredible 1858 Efficiency rating with it... which I always read as "Unicorn" status, but apparently it is "Unicum" ... I only learned it wasn't "Unicorn" a few days ago, and don't like the real title much at all, lol.

---

too early on a weekend - I can't type sentences that make sense.

---

Anyway, I have yet to check the stats for it, but the Panther may have the same qualities its bigger brother, the E-50, does... I didn't ram an IS I was fighting last night fast enough to do much damage, but there was no doubt that I was pushing around an IS yesterday in a face-to-face fight. Instead of keeping my side to him, I kept my front to his side, and was pushing him all around. I will try ramming with the Panther later. With the L/100 it just isn't one of those tanks that you're going to find yourself in close-up battles where you could push someone off of a cliff or bridge very often, but it seems like it make be able to do it similarly to the E-50 when it fights against its own tier rivals. (That said, and from playing with an experienced E-50 driver, if that lien is one you're going to go up, the "ramming' skill for the drivers of the Panther, Panther II and E-50 will come in handy a lot once you do get into the E-50. ... I wish I could train it up now, but all crew on the Panther is currently on Camo skills except for the commander, who is training his Recon skill for the Binocs.)
  17. Smithy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like fun.

Right now I'm about to go apeshit over my connection issues. I'm averaging a drop ever other battle, with about 2/3 of them at the end of a game, the rest the client just bogs down in the middle and I have to restart. Didn't have this problem before the update.
  18. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    just found the battle efficiency calculator. Mine is full of suck.

trying a bunch of tanks and being artillery really hurts that stat.
  19. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Which one are you using?

I've been using This efficiency calculator
  20. Smithy

Oddometer:
    Jesus, this is un-playable. Halfway through a battle, and my fps drops to 10, 4, 2, then just freezes up... no control, no display, while my tank's driving into mountians and people are shooting me to death as I look at 20 seconds ago.

Fuck that noise.