To Tilt or Not To Tilt Motorcycle Carrier

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by LarryGee, Nov 8, 2012.

1. LarryGee

LarryGee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about buying one of those single rail motorcycle carriers for the 250. You know, the ones that connect to the receiver of your tow vehicle.

Anyway, looks like they come in a tilting variety. Apparently you secure the unit to the receiver, pull a pin and the ramp tilts down to ground level so you can roll the bike up the ramp, into the chock.

I guess it saves you from having to carry an extra piece (the ramp) and then having to affix the ramp to the carrier.

Not sure if that such a big deal. Any experienced users of this carrier?

I do have 2 bike trailer that I use if a buddy is coming along. But I thought this might be easier if I'm going solo.
  2. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a tilt receiver hithch that I had welded up. Get a little running start, the bike rides up and the weight brings it back level. Just little tricky getting the tiedowns started by yourself. :evil
  3. Joe3

Joe3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My carrier doesn't tilt. I have never had a problem with the ramp. I just throw it in the back of the truck when traveling. I only use the ramp for loading. For unloading I just back the DRZ off the rack without the ramp, just like I do on the trailer. My carrier is really easy to load and unload and strap by myself.
  4. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I have been using the $120 aluminum version from harbor freight for over 2 years now.. no issues.. I keep wanting to upgrade it to a more expensive model..but this one just keeps doing the job. I check the bolts and connections frequently, anything from HF is suspect in these areas, but so far ... zero issues. It has a ramp, I would think the tilt versions would be steep ,, plus throw in some uneven ground and you could be in for a real push to get that thing past the tipping point.
  5. nealcassady

nealcassady Novice

Oddometer:
    I have had a 5x10' tilt utility trailer for many years that works great for any bike, plus hauls pretty much anything in the way of furniture, mowers, building materials, etc. The tilt feature is easy to use and I prefer it to having to carry a ramp. I don't see much reason for buying a dedicated bike trailer unless it's a lot cheaper and you'd never have need to haul anything else.
  6. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    I'm also looking a m/c hitch hauler but I'd much rather have a small trailer.
    I just don't have the space to store a trailer unless it stands up.

Not super confident with the HF trailers but I'd take a second look at the hitch hauler.
    9k bike on a $150 hitch makes me nervous

Been renting uhaul trailers for years now. I think I finally exceeded the price of buying on rental fees but then I dont have to store of maintain
  7. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    There is a whole thread on the HF foldable trailers.. with a little help from upgraded hardware or a few welds they hold up pretty good for light duty use. I have seen quite a few Kendon stand up trailers come up on CL over the last two years.. and I live in a tiny little state. I am hauling my 2011 Husaberg FE570 on my HF hitch hauler... I get your nervousness :D
  8. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer: