Good commuter, under 10k

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by BigCanoe, Jan 10, 2013.

1. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
  2. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    ^THIS^
    Or a used FJR. Two bikes that go over well past 200 mi on a tank, long valve check intervals, bullet proof motors that you can just ride the shit out of and not have to worry 'bout nuthin. :thumb
  3. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like walking, do you? A friend has a MS, he likes it for the three months of summer fun, followed by 9 months of free storage at the dealer waiting for whatever broke in the three months of riding. an R11xxGS could do it.

Then again, at this point in the game, it's not hard to find a lightly used Tiger 800 / 800XC (with ABS) for under $10k. I've put 5K on my XC; the motor rocks on the backroads and sings on the freeway.
  4. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of shops in the area, check their trade-ins for a good buy, lots of people get rid of a 6 yr old mc with 10,000 miles on it.
    Found several decent used bikes, bmw and vstrom, in Greensboro yesterday. Get something worth owning that you can ride as far as you feel like it, around here we can easily ride 10 months a year and hit the mountains or the coast any day we want.
  5. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    That sounds like plenty of interstate speed time to me.

I'd suggest something like a Versys or Vstrom with hard luggage (to deal with rain, you'd be surprised how little rain matters with good gear and hard luggage), or something else with similar ergos.

I might have a well-equipped wee strom available for a good price before too long :evil
  6. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Yamaha FZ6; it's the quarter fairing model (2004-2008). I get 50mpg, have ample wind protection, an ok seat, and plenty of power to make a good pass. They can be had for less than $4,000 used; do your homework, and you can nail one with low miles for $4,000 and some farkles. Would ride it everyday if it wasn't my primary sport-tourer.
  7. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of good suggestions here.....the FZ6, Versys, Vstrom, and many of the others sound great....but, I'll still go with the trusty KLR for many of the reasons mentioned before.

I've got 61,000 miles on my '06 model, one valve adjustment at 45,000, and I can change the oil and filter before I even take my helmet and gloves off....inexpensive, simple, and bullet-proof.

I commute 54 miles one way, with interstate and backroad options....it works well either route. Now I have changed the rear shock, fork springs/valving, and added a fork brace, they aren't perfect in stock form like some of the others may be.

Good luck with your decision.
  8. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,

650 Burgman scooter.
  9. single

single Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I vote CBR250R. Lowest entry price, dead simple cheap thumper maintenance with 16000 mile valve checks. 70ish MPG, and very high fun factor, and so light you practically feel like tossing it on your back on the way up to the office. Just a very easy bike to get along with and almost scooterish in it's efficiency and running costs.

If it's just going to be a throw away commuter bike you really can't go wrong with it.
  10. zontar

zontar lawnhater

Oddometer:
    my nephew bought a CBR250R recently and I'm thoroughly impressed. if I only wanted to commute, and not take long trips, I'd buy one for myself. Wee-Strom, yeah, incredible bike too. but that damn baby-CBR is so light, skinny and smooth. worth what they're asking, for sure.....
  11. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:
    If you still want dualsport find a used KLR and keep the cost under 4k, you'll be set for a long time to come.
    If you don't care about dual sport hard to beat a FZ6 of SV650 for easy and cheap road miles. I wouldn't bother with anything bigger.

If I was going to buy a commuter (which I am not) I'd probably do a FZ6.