Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully DICE has some autonomy, plus there still will be a single player campaign in it so I wouldn't be too worried.
  2. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    You can never trust EA or any game company to do anything right.

I thought that was just a given.
  3. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    OH, no. I wasn't saying that video was from one of the current consoles, no way that could physically happen.

With the new consoles, yes they will be much more powerful than current ones. However, PC components are always getting better. PS4/New Xbox may be able to do great things right now, but it seems like every 6 months the GPU guys come out with better stuff, and every 12-18 months for CPUs. So, even in a little over a year from now (not a year after the new consoles come out) PC will still be far and away more capable than the consoles.

Just because they are more capable doesn't mean the developers will take advantage of those capabilities, for all the reasons and more that you mentioned. :deal

Either way, the consoles are going to be great, and PC will always be good as well if you can afford to stay ahead of the curve tech-wise (I can't). I currently have both a PS and XBox... If Microsoft puts a Blu-ray in the new Xbox, it is likely I will NOT be buying the new Playstation. I do not play enough games to justify the purchase of both plus having a decent PC. And with the XBox being a great entertainment hub on top of the games, it just makes sense to go that route. (Based on what I do with the consoles. Your opinions and values may be different.)

Oh, and my current PS/Blu-ray works fine, so I do not see myself upgrading for that reason (Blu-ray capability) alone anyway. In other words, Sony may be in trouble if more people think the way I do.
  4. UnderNewOwnership

UnderNewOwnership Thread Slayer

Oddometer:
    For all you (5) people who still remember the days of twitch shooters here's some multiplayer from the Rise of the Triad Remake:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5YPQRE57hNQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    The time is long past where you could build your own and save a lot of money.
    1. What's your budget?
    2. How much of your current system can you recycle? Be honest. A 17" monitor is not reusable except as a secondary screen for a workstation.
    3. Are you mechanically skilled? Be honest here, too. Breakage during assembly is not covered under warranty. :deal

Many companies like Tigerdirect offer barebones kits and you add the extra parts. Other companies might let you do "delete" options (like Dell) but the savings are usually minimal.

PC Gamer, PC Mag, Maximum PC, etc, all offer build articles for PCs at various levels. PC Gamer, in particular offers a budget, middle and power system spec.

If you were my customer, I'd ask you what you want to play and how much you want to spend. Then I'd probably go with a combo of new and used parts, aiming for at least 40 fps for the game du jour.
  6. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't spend any money on a non-usb3 or sata3 mobo, right now it's not critical but very soon it may force an early upgrade. I can find here in Greece right now an FX6300 (equal or better to most i5s, 6 cores) + usb/sata3 mobo + 8Gb ram (1333) for 250 euros, you can do it with $250 based on my research. I also wouldn't spend on an SSD right now, just get the motherboard ready for it and use an older, spare sata2 hdd, these things get cheaper by the month or you might be able to buy more Gbs for the same price tomorrow. $150 will get you pretty good graphics for 1-2 years. Bottomline I wouldn't buy used hardware, for that recent specs, if the CPU has been OCed for months (very probable) you might have an expensive CPU dying on you pretty soon.
  7. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
  8. UnderNewOwnership

Oddometer:
    CPU's a bit shitty, not to mention discontinued. At that pricepoint, you're be better off with an FX-4300.
  9. Jonnylotto

Oddometer:
    But Poser's not looking to catch the wave; if it wasn't for all the associated hardware being too old a Core 2 Duo or Quad would fit his build.
  10. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
  11. UnderNewOwnership

Oddometer:
  12. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Want to play skyrim, fallout, and the like.

Haven't read it yet, but looks to be the kind of information I was looking for. :thumb
  13. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    For <$700, build a new machine for sure. My buddy jst gave me his "old" gaming rig with an i7, 2g RAM, no HD, and a busted video card. I loaded Win7x64 ($82) on a new 250gig HD ($50) and ordered a Geforce 640 ($94). I can wait on the RAM, but I'll go 2x4g sometime soon for a decent price.
  14. Jonnylotto

Oddometer:
    Strangely enough, my last two upgrades were in direct response to those two games. :lol3

Both times video cards. My base system is Core i7 920; I still haven't needed to overclock. :evil
  15. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    I just picked it up last night myself.

This one seems even less politically correct than the others.:huh
  16. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    That just looks like BF3 to me. It's prolly just an extension of the game.

I wouldnt think it would be that difficult to use the same engine and come up with new storylines etc....they've probably been testing it for quite some time now
  17. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Who can school me on black ops 2 on the xbox? The boy got me sucked in to playing with him and now I'm addicted. I suck, but figure it's quality time with the lad. :lol3
    What's the best setup for guns and perks? I need something with the firepower of the 50, but the speed of the uzi, and self guiding bullets or something. Oh yeah, and a really good bullet prof vest. :doh
    Other than spending eight hours a day playing, any way to move out of noob status faster?
  18. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    Play in the training mode. There isn't one great load out, each is good for certain situations, but any submachine gun, with a decent sight and a foregrip should do you well.
    A secondary weapon only takes away a spot on your load out . Go with bouncing betties and shock grenades.

Get used to dying, n00bs are meat.
  19. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    New engine, and it looks to have a few more effects than BF3. And for me coming from BF3 on XBox it'll be a HUGE jump.
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    It's a COD game....the bad news is you really need to play, play, and play. I had surgery and while laid up for a month played the hell out of MW2 and even on heavy duty opiates would get in the top 3 :evil

When my friend got MW3 I jumped online for 30 minutes and sucked the first round but then was within the top 3 for most of the others I played.

And with the recent free multiplayer on Black Ops 2 I played on the PC with an XBox controller and still placed mid level, and then higher once I got used to the sky high sensitivity level you need to be at to deal with the WASD/mouse crowd.