Suomy helmet

Discussion in 'Australia' started by B1, Jan 15, 2015.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I've just found out 'monetized' vids not allowed but you can find the video on Youtube if needed.
  2. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thank Barry.... great review.
  3. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:

it does look good, although the peak looks very short, even shorter then the Hornet. I like the long 1 on my Arai.
  4. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm looks good. My VX-Pro needs replacing

What's it like at speed? Looks like the wind will get under the Mr Jump peak and pull your head back?

Are there any googles that fit without letting rain in?
  5. ScottyDog

ScottyDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had an unfortunate experience with a Suomy Ducati full face and a YES open face in the last couple of years. Both were about 10 years old, admittedly, but perfect otherwise.
    In both cases, the liners and padding on both helmets have completely crumbled and disintegrated, making them useless.
    Not sure if it is the Brisbane humid weather, but no such problems with my Arai VX Pro - 7 years - or Shoei open face - 2 years.
    The Japanese liners just seem to be better built...???
    Cheers, Scott
  6. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait, you expect the liners to last 10 years? :huh

I'm looking into this to replace my VX-Pro, because the lining is stuffed and it's only 5 years old.

Also usually you can replace the inner lining. I won't be since the helmet also has had more than it's share of bumps.
  7. ScottyDog

ScottyDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For road helmets, I would expect a bit more. Especially if they aren't used all that much. Dirt helmets, different story...

Pretty sure the liners weren't replaceable, even the foam pad in the top melted.

I think it is a good idea to pay close attention to the quality - and "replaceability" of the liners.

Cheers!
  8. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    pretty sure most manufacturers recommend replacing helmets at about 5yrs. (from build date)

I had a Nolan open face where the lining only lasted 3 yrs...... pretty sure it's the acid in our sweat that eats it. :puke1 having said that I'm still using a Zeus that I bought in 2008. but now I rotate weekly through 3 different ones.
  9. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i never checked different goggles but another review i read said there'd be no problem fitting any goggles as the area is quite large - it was a comparison with the airoh from memory, if you wanted to try and find the review.

the peak has the usual vents in it to stop the wind getting under it but must admit i rarely do over 60kmh so haven't checked it. i had it swept up high in the video as i mount the gopro under there.

this all started with snell. they reckoned on older helmets that adhesives used in manufacturing could perish over that time frame. they came under a fair bit of fire for this statement as many reckoned they were in the pockets of the manufacturers for simply driving up sales, as the EPS foam liner does not deteriorate or change unless exposed to UV or harmful chemicals etc.

debatable point with snell, however they do still reckon five years is a good time to ditch the helmet as helmets are steadily improving and it's good to take advantage of the new technologies and innovations. i would tend to agree with them on this e.g. helmets get lighter without sacrificing safety, and there are very important things like the dual or variable density liner becoming more common. :freaky
  10. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have just had to replace my Arai VX Pro, it is 5 years old and cops a flogging lol, I think 4 to 5 years lifespan is more than adequate for a life saving device that cops a flogging in the heat, dust, sweat etc etc. Interesting that my Alpinestar boots have fallen apart at the same time, maybe 5 years is the lifespan manufacturers of name brands make them to last. 5 years in the life of a weekend warrior is a loooong time :rofl
  11. micmen

micmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl
    Hi Baz,
    Anything or anyone that puts up with you for 5 years deserves a medal:rofl
    Mic
  12. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    hahaha yeah the bastads kept trying to commit hari kari, but I wasn't having a bar of it :rofl that reminds me I must go check on the wife lol
  13. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:
    C'mon Troy, you know that's not legal in Queensland!

15. Reeksy

Oddometer:
    Great review Barry. For someone known to get a hot head and to show clear signs of brain damage, I love the ventilation aspect.

How true to size are the helmets?
  16. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    huh...? :huh When did they outlaw 23" front tires...? :ear:wink:
  17. Reeksy

Oddometer:
    Ahem...
    (He/she/it is on the right hand side of the road)
  18. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    not too clear on this reeksy... there's a US website that says the sizing is consistently a bit out across the range but the australian distributor i spoke to said it was quite accurate. possibly aussie brains are a lot smaller so the suomy works here? :D

maybe chat with distributor (qld offroad tyres)... he's posting them out across australia so always makes sure it's a good fit before they are sent out.
  19. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review B1.
    Might just hafta get a Tourer as a "rule-them-all" lid, they sound the goods.

Better than the 3 I have now anyway probably. :huh
  20. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    actually as a personal whinge, i haven't had a single helmet manufacturer reply, sometimes despite several follow emails. and these are email addresses titled "enquiries@........."

FFS why bother inviting enquiries if you don't intend to answer? :dhorse

if you are loaded it would be hard to go past the 6D helmet at around $1000 which is currently the most innovative and safest helmet i've been able to locate to date.