Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Greetings Inmates!

The ADVRider forums have been a massive inspiration and invaluable knowledge base for me personally and also to the Kriega lads back in the UK. So, after recently becoming Kriega's US representative, I thought it'd be good to contribute something which could help others with the important decision of which cargo carrying gear to go for.

With this in mind, I figured it'd make sense to start a thread about each of our main product lines: backpacks, bike packs, pannier systems and accessories. The idea being that, hopefully, together we can create a resource center, wherein the answer to pretty much every conceivable question about Kriega kit can be found. Building a library of Inmates' Kriega set-ups and travels with the gear, would be cool too...

To kick off things off, I've posted up pages from the current catalog. Hi-rez versions can be viewed in the KriegaUSA galleries over at SmugMug, and - while stocks last - hard copies of the catalog are available free of charge via www.kriega.us and at Authorized Kriega Dealers.

Feel free to post up any questions, feedback or requests and I'll do everything I can to help find the right gear for your ride.

And just PM me for a your ADVRider free shipping code ( to prevent folks only signing up here to get it, Inmates must have at least 50 posts to qualify).

Cheers,

Michael

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

And last, but not least; the new-for-2012 Overlander soft pannier systems, and ALP platforms, due for release May 2012:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More info on the Overlander and ALP is due from the UK very soon and will be posted up here STAT. In the meantime, please feel free to let us know if you like the look of it.

Cheers,

Michael
    cjselbysmith likes this.
  7. windquest

windquest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any prices on the overlander 30?
    thanks
  8. mud390

mud390 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a US10 that I've been using as a tailbag for over a year now. It has been absolutely great! Completely waterproof. And I mean completely! For its small size it will hold quite a bit. I've had a pair of rain pants, Icon Patrol gauntlet gloves, a point and shoot camera, a bottle of water, and a Garmin hiking GPS in mine. That is about all it could hold, but it all fit! If, and when the need arises, I will not hesitate to buy another Kriega product!

Kris
  9. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey windquest,

I actually confirmed prices only yesterday, and the Overlander 30 will be coming in at just $299. That gets you the complete frameless fit kit, plus the 2 x 15L Overlander bags.

Michael
  10. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Kris. Always great to hear that our gear is working for you!
  11. windquest

Oddometer:
    Michael, that's epic! I was crossing my fingers it would come in under $300.... When do you guys expect to start seeing them in stock?

Jason
  12. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    I know! Having seen this gear, I was sure it was going to be at least $350. I'm expecting my first shipment some time in May. Obviously I'll post something up on here, www.kriega.us and the Kriega USA FB page, as soon as I have a firm date.
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will this "frameless kit" work for those of us that already have Kriega bags? Can we just buy the kit? Also, the documentation makes it look like you need to drill holes in plastic bodywork. Is there a set up for those of us on more street oriented dual sports? I love the Kriega bags, but would prefer they be mounted like the overlander.
  14. windquest

Oddometer:
    I think the overlander 60 would be the one more oriented for street use. You can see the pictures in a few posts back. I think they had it mounted to a ktm 690...
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Racks. I don't want to deal with racks.
  16. windquest

Oddometer:
    Racks....:puke1....Can't blame you there....
  17. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim,

The Overlander gear was designed primarily for hardcore off-road use and the 30 is aimed squarely at Enduro / dirt bikes, which all have pretty much the same basic design, enabling bags to be mounted without frames. Adventure Touring type bikes generally require racks to mount side bags because these machines vary quite dramatically in layout (particularly in the placement of exhaust pipes).

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, such as the KTM 990 Adventure, where the Overlander 30 - and an alternative mounting to drilling holes for the Rack Loops - could be an option. But in general, as windquest said, the Overlander 60 is going to be the best soft pannier system on these kind of bikes.

Kriega US bags were designed specifically as universal fit tail packs with an option to tank-mount, so using them as the basis of a side-mounted system would have been - at best - a major compromise. Which is, thankfully, something the Kriega lads don't really go in for.

Overlander is a completely new product line and, due to the differences in functionality between tail packs and panniers, bags purely for this application needed to be developed. Therefore, the 15L Overlander Drypacks are significantly different to the US packs, being made from heavy duty 1000D Cordura with reinforced backs (to maintain their shape) and stainless steel eyelets for the alloy attachment hardware.

I do hear what you're saying about racks / frames though. Personally, I was never a big fan of panniers either, and was completely happy with my rear rack and seat-mounted UScombos. But after experiencing how little this system affects 'ridability' and how well it works, I'll definitely be fitting a Overlander 60 for long hauls, so I can free up the rear seat in case I need to haul more gear, or maybe even take the wife on that trip I've been promising her. :lol3 But if racks / frames really aren't your thing seat-mounted bags are the only real option.

The frameless fit kit will be available separately to the full systems, but this is really only so that folks who own the 60 have the option to use two of the bags from that in a different way, or as a replacement part in case of loss etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Michael
  18. jimmydeanh

jimmydeanh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Michael - thanks for posting this along with pics of the Overlander and the rest of the kits, because the website doesn't seem to show these pics. Everything looks awesome. You commented on a "]post of mine a while back about this new system coming out soon. I just finished putting a light kit and a more rugged fender on the back of my 350 SX-F so I'm ready for the Overlander - Just say the word and I'll send the money....they look Scweet:clap
    Two questions though: 1) what's the max size bag you recommend I could throw on top? Like I said before I'm doing some 5 day offroad trips and I want to put my compressed bag and pad on top; 2) once the side bags are full of gear is there any danger of melting on the muffler side?

Thanks- JimmyDean

PS: need to order a 5 and a Cube pocket for my Hydro-3 and recv it before and event on April14th....what's the fastest way? (ie- thru Kriega, or another distributor?)
  19. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey Jimmy,

All of the catalog images are on the site (click on the large image on each page to open up a new window with various photos), except for the Overlander stuff, which will be added shortly.

To answer your questions:

1. You can mount any of our US Drypacks (or pretty much anything else that mounts using 2 x 1" straps) as a tail pack in-between the Overlander 30, using the included Rack Loops. So, you could have anywhere from 5 to 30 liters on top. They'll all work. It just depends on how much gear you want to carry and what its measurements are. Your sleeping bag will fit in a US-20, but I can't say whether the mat / pad will fit into a US-30 without knowing the rolled-up dimensions.

2. Nope! No danger of the bags making contact with your cans. They mount at an angle and the lower ends fix securely to your frame, so they can't slip out of position. Plus, the bags are reinforced at the back so that they don't 'bulge' out or flap, and, even if they did come into contact with something hot, they would remain fully functional.

As for picking up those bolt-ons for your trip, BritKit (kriega.us) is the sole US Distributor and orders placed before approx. 2pm EST generally ship the same business day (next one at the latest) and take two business days to MD. Unfortunately, right now we don't have a dealer in your area who could get it to you much quicker. But that's something I'm working on at the moment! But either way, 14 April would be no problem at all.

Michael
  20. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    Will the platforms fit happy trail racks?