Reiter Pit Warning - Crackheads with bats

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by punk, Aug 21, 2005.

1. punk

punk Dammed

Oddometer:
    I copied the warning below from the Puget Sound Trials Assoc. discussion page ( http://www.pugetsoundtrialers.com/).

I haven't been to Rieter Pit, East of Everett WA lately (there is a 2 day trials there this weekend, good spectating!) but I see rides being organized on this site so I thought it might be appropriate to spread the word.

Take care,
    Punk

(copied warning):
    I just wanted to alert others to some nefarious activies happening at the Reiter riding area, specifically the area I think is referred to as "Sherwood Forest." I was there this past weekend giving two new [young] riders some beginning trials riding lessons. Some items were stolen from our truck and I think the peretrators were a group of young folks who appeared to be meth-heads (judging from their dental health and behavior). They were walking around with baseball bats and I can assure you that there weren't any gloves, balls or bases in their plans. I found the area around their encampment to have been booby-trapped with chicken wire buried just below some loose dirt and leaves, etc. -- and I found out the hard way, BTW. I was able to free myself and the bike, but I think things may have turned out differently for me if I hadn't been out there with a few other people and a handgun.
  2. gentry

gentry For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer:
    WTF??? Dammit.
  3. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    That's disturbing. Meth's a big problem.
  4. gentry

Oddometer:

Yeah, its to the point I dont like going solo into the N. Cascades anymore.... Being a greencarder I cant carry "protection" other than a K-bar on the handlebars....
  5. batfink

batfink squid vicious

Oddometer:
    Actually, I just looked into this a little bit ago but there is an alien firearm registration form you can fill out from the DOL. I believe this acts as a concealed firearm permit too so you would be totally legit. Then you could mount something else to your handlebars.......
  6. gentry

Oddometer:

I will most definitely check that out... I dont like guns and I dont like having to carry one but I know how to use them and will if there is good reason.... Its just so frikin' idiotic that you gotta think of drug dealers out in the middle of the mountains!!! Sigh...
  7. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
  8. Eriksson

Eriksson Isthatdirtinyourpocket?

Oddometer:
    I have found a lab while out hunting. The noxious smell is similar to mosquito repellant, or OFF. Also, leave any containers you might find in the woods; gas cans, Mason Jars, etc.. The chemicals that may be in them are lethal. This stuff makes crack look like JuJubees...
  9. Davidovich650

Davidovich650 KLR-ista

Oddometer:
    What's considered the Sherwood Forest area? The lower parking lot by Reiter road, the lower power lines parking lot, or the upper area, under the power lines?

10. Stosh23

Stosh23 Retrieval Expert

Oddometer:
    They are in fact 2 different items.

Chad - Just talked to my officer friend in Kirkland and you can aapply for a CCW as a registered alien. As long as all items are in good standing you too can pack some heat.

I have always found that going it along in the Cascades- the shoulder holster is a good comfort.

Not trying to start a debate - it is just the opinion of me.

Enjoy
  11. gentry

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stosh, Again, I HATE guns but lately there's been too much shite out there in the woods. The "hair on the back of the neck" has come up a few times when riding solo. Growing up in Australia I always associate the outdoors as a place you dont need to worry about that crap but that sure aint gettin' to be the case in Western WA lately.

Im squeeky clean as far as "items" go
    :lol3 (not sure how, but I am....)

Then again you could get a thumper and come riding with me :thumb
  12. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    Yea what he said :evil
  13. Stosh23

Stosh23 Retrieval Expert

Oddometer:
    YOU ARE SSSOOOOOO RIGHT.
  14. CascadeThumper

CascadeThumper Critical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't Mr. COB say that a motorcycle is just a tool.....well, a gun is just a tool, too. It's not going to jump out of it's holster by itself and do some evil deed.

That only happens on TV, or in Sarah Brady's imagination. It's not like you go looking for trouble in the darkest areas of the city late at night....but if you feel the need for some legal protection while enjoying some rather normal and acceptable, albeit adventure oriented, activities. Then I suggest you take a class in "firearms safety" from your local gun range. Take your better half to the class, too. You may take the class and still decide not to arm yourself.....but at least you will be armed with the facts and the laws for your locality at the present time. You might also discover that shooting is an Olympic sport with the first medal of the Summer games going to Free Pistol....a most demanding and exacting discipline.
  15. gentry

Oddometer:

Chalk it up to culture :D Ive been around the world and in and out of some hairy situations. Ive never needed a gun and I dont really want one now. I have no problem with others having them though (as long as they are responsible). That being said I have taken the time to educate myself about them and learn to use one.... Thats the beauty of this place eh? I can have a gun but I dont have to have one right?? Or do I...... :norton
    I didnt spent my time on ranches in Texas etc and not learn a thing or two about 'fererms..
  16. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    As far as the topic of wild-eyed meth junkies posing a danger to woodland adventures, arming ones self is certainly one option. There are certainly merits to defending yourself and your buddies with a handgun. But I for one would lothe to shoot some person, especially one so pitiful as a lowlife drug addict.

However, there must be alternatives to dealing with this problem.

Do we identify the "dens" and report to the police? Would that be effective?

Do we take citizen action, mob up and strong arm the loozerz out of where we find them?

Ideas?
  17. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    I like the strong arm the loozerz idea the best. Make them wash the bikes when were done riding :lol3
  18. Stosh23

Stosh23 Retrieval Expert

Oddometer:
    A nice jumping, spinning heel kick to head usually gets their attention !!!!
  19. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter.

Oddometer:
    You can wait longer than they can?? Is that your waiting them out on the Daytona?
  20. gentry

Oddometer:

Napalm....