90s Guzzi California for new rider, etc

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by davidji, Jun 23, 2011.

1. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    A friend is thinking of getting a 90s Guzzi California as her 1st bike. She recently got licensed via a motorcycle safety course. She's about 6' tall.

She's a little concerned because of the engine displacement, but I know the power isn't that much. From specs the weight doesn't seem especially high either.

How does that dry clutch perform in low-speed friction-zone maneuvers?

Any opinions on one of these as a 1st bike? what to look for? What to avoid? The only thing I understand so far to avoid bikes with a single-plate clutch.

She's also interested in a late-model used Bonneville, but the ones she's found in her price range have sold pretty fast. I don't think she'd refuse a W650 either, but none have shown up.
  2. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a friend who was around 6' tall and bought a Bassa to match her boyfriend's, against my counseling. This was her first bike and she took the MSF course. She crashed the bike repeatedly at low speeds, and finally sold it. We were in a bike shop while she still owned it and I got her to sit on a large cruiser of some flavor. She was amazed at the low CG when she nearly went all the way over getting it off the sidestand.

I've owned four different Guzzi's over the past thirty years including a California II. They tend to have high CG's and some side- and centerstand quirks. The clutch is fairly friendly.
  3. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    This is a good friend on her 1999 V11 Bassa:
    [​IMG]

No reason your friend can't learn to ride the California. They're great bikes.

As a 1st bike, though, I always recommend something smaller...

The clutch is very user-friendly. The linked brakes may take some getting used to, or they could be "de-linked". The bikes weigh in the 550-lbs range and have horsepower in the mid-60s. The gearing is a little tall with the standard 8/33 ring and pinion.

Nice bikes. I have a 2000 Bassa myself...
  4. vato_loco

vato_loco Sometimes good guys don't wear white

Oddometer:
    The Caifornia could be a good bike for a newbie, but as posted above she might be better off with something smaller & lighter.

Although I've never owned a cruiser bike, I rode a Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i for 33K miles, which has basically the same engine. Not a whole bunch of power but useful torque throughout the rpm range.

Once while hanging out at the local MG dealer I went for a quick ride on a CA Jackal and was impressed with its handling as soon as I was up to speed. Ground clearance seemed generous for a cruiser bike and the single-rotor brakes were strong. If your friend wants performance the California just might be her ticket.
  5. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    If most of her riding is going to be around town and short trips while she gains some confidence, the Bonneville would be a better choice. I love Guzzi's but a Cali would be much more of a handful than the Bonneville in traffic and at low speed. It weighs 100lbs more and has heavier controls. A Bonnie is a really good first bike.
  6. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Thanks all! She appreciated the comments here.
  7. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    She bought a Bonneville T100. I think she's gonna love it. I know I would...
  8. BrianK

BrianK F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer:
    That was my wife's first bike, and a good choice, I think (course, I picked it for her so I WOULD think so).

After a year, it wasn't enough bike for her and she bought a HD Nightster - 1200 cc, 550 pounds.

I'd been riding well over 20 years before I had a bike bigger than a 750. And I can't say I really NEEDED more....

C'est la vie.
  9. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Bonneville wasn't "enough bike", so she got a Nightster??? :huh

Define "enough bike"... :ear