Triumph Daytona 955I

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Datan556, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Datan556

Datan556 2stroke a day keeps the doctor away

Oddometer:
    Hello

Purchased a Triumph 955i yesterday, '06 model and red. Anybody got some thought s on it?

Two problems found so far. Battery dead seeing it was stationary for a year and a half. One fuse blown, a green (30). Already drained oil and it looked normal and not used, almost a caramaly colour. Opened up the radiator cap to check fluids and it started pouring out, overflowing out the radiator cap. Think it was suppose to happen because of the long wait for someones attention.

Now what should I look out for and any pointers on oil, owners manual and basic check ups to prevent major damage because of the parking issue. ( give or take 16 months outside under a cover, might I add this is the middle east as well)

Ready.... set.... go with comments! :deal
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    For oil Mobile -4Tin 10W-40 and you can't go wrong, they like chevron 92 octane a LOT if you can find it. Do yourself a favor and have the fork oil changed (like $200 at the shop) and flush the cooling system out and start over.

.....getting the rear shock rebuilt isn't a bad idea, getting an aftermarket is better, that shock is garbage.

The rear brake sucks, if you can find the disk, caliper and carrier off of a 1050 spring that can be sorted for a $100.
  3. Datan556

Oddometer:

How about the SHell Helix 10 40? MObil and those type of oil products are hard to get here, search mission for months.

Is the mobil 4 10w 40 a synthetic oi?
  4. Tripped1

Oddometer:

Yes, its full synth, but I have 90,000 miles on a 2001 955i engine without ever doing anything but routine maintenance on it and it will still pull the front wheel off the ground in 3rd gear.

Better safe than sorry really, otherwise and JASO-MA oil will work fine, and not hose your clutch.
  5. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Here's something i posted in the Triumph thread. Hope it helps.

Since then, i fitted Metzeler Z8 tires going from a 190/50 to a 190/55 rear. Definitely helps with the handling. Can't afford a new shock so i'm also going to respring her on both ends.

6. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    A 180/55 is fine as well, I ran those for years and years (before 190/55 was available in anything but track rubber)
  7. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Personal preference. I've had a 180 on a 6" rim before and didn't care for it much.
  8. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    congrats. I love those bikes
  9. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Was it a 55 series? I got a lot better handling from from a 180/55 than I did from a 190/50.
  10. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it was. Dunlop Qualifier. Always felt i was running out of tire. I like the 190/55 on the 6" rim than i do the 180/55 on the same size rim. Wasn't a fan of the 190/50 either. 190/55 works really well for me and i love the Z8. Great tire for a Daytona set up for the road.
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Oh I wasn't arguing that.

Like I said that was what I used back when you needed a full on DOT race tire to get a 190/55, they weren't available in street flavors.
  12. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Gotcha.

I'm really pleased with how the big D is coming along. I've had to do some work but it's really turned into a great sporting bike for the road. Looking forward to ordering new springs, fore and aft.
  13. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I'm of two minds about my next bike.

I want to get a 2005ish 955i and make it into a real streetfighter a la GSXR forks with AK20, R6 radial monos, penski rear Sprint 1050 rear brakes, koso cluster and a proximity on off switch....most of the parts I already have, and then slap 1050 body and tank on it.

Just because it would be the bike I like, the 2005-2007 Speed Triples are my favorite lookers, but I'm not a huge fan of the 1050....I LOVE the 955i Daytona gen 2.

or maybe full retard, Turbo-busa touring rig.
    or maybe a street-Rod with Road Glide fairings......

....choices choices I have two bikes and a truck and everything is paid off lol
  14. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    I have an '06 Tiger 955i; not sure if the Daytona suffers the same maladies but the charging system on the Tiger sucked and was easily upgraded. Good info on the Triumph forums.
  15. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    I like option 1

I'm in Cyprus, so i'm out of options for the foreseeable future. :lol3

I'm not even sure i should spend the money on springs, but i feel it'd finish the farkling...well, for now anyway.
  16. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

[​IMG]
  17. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I have a little more land to deal with, my mom lives 12Km away, and she is my closest immediate family member.
  18. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see this thread!! I just bought an '05 Daytona--haven't even picked it up yet. The bar position reminded me of my Blackbird--those bars came off quick! I tried to get Heli-Bars but they don't sell those anymore & didn't offer to make me a set. I found a set of Cycle Cat bars on eBay. Those should be here about time I get the bike.

This one has a aftermarket pipe on it--no cat--& is hard starting + seems very lean. I have Tune ECU & the cable for my Tiger 1050 but have no clue as to what map to use. The Tiger forum had a complete list of maps & were very helpful. I joined RAT & have been very disappointed--not much help & locked out of many of the threads.

Anyway, I'll be following along on this thread. :clap
  19. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    I disabled SAI and loaded the A/F Warren tune.
  20. Datan556

Oddometer:
    Bought some 30A fuses and a 35A just for a test. Battery is on charge and will see how it turns out. I don't have an owners manual so everything is off diagrams personal help and of course the forums. My fuse is blown because of a short somewhere. The lightning picture on fuse box blows out because of that. Read up its because of faulty rectifiers/regulators on these triumphs. Any suggestions, as I do not know yet if its the rec/reg that's causing the short.

Any help or advice wil be valued throw in some marriage advice as to deal with wife nagging about yet another bike that needs fixing inside the house!