Yamaha FZ1

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by skysailor, Aug 4, 2008.

1. rusty44

rusty44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to classifieds on the FZ1OA forum for some good deals....alan
  2. rusty44

rusty44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent you a P.M.......Alan

3. CrazyBiker

CrazyBiker Fast N Smooth

Oddometer:
    Pics from the Dragon. Love mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. superandy89

superandy89 erutnevda

Oddometer:
    Price seems fair. Just paid $3700 for an '05 with 12k miles and about $800 in aftermarket stuff (Yosh pipe, corbin seat). Ask the seller what engine oil and chain lube he uses. If he has a good/consistent answer, he's probably taken good care of the bike and the 11k miles should not be an issue at all. From everything I've heard, if well-maintainted, the FZ1 motor should not have problems before 30k miles at the earliest.

5. theWolfTamer

theWolfTamer Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer:
    Mine felt smoother after 30k, like it was finally truly broken in.
  6. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    My '01 with 67k miles blew a little blue smoke the other day when I was syncing the carbs. I figure it was most like valve seats, but I suppose it could be rings. I'll do a compression check in the near future.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  7. photohawk

photohawk neophyte

Oddometer:
    I guess if you never change the oil and are constantly bouncing it off the rev limiter then maybe you'll have a problem that soon. A well maintained FZ should be capable of well over 100k without any major problems.
  8. Bocephous

Bocephous Unvaxxed Deplorable Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    There is a lady on the FZ1OA forum that has over 200,000 miles on her gen 1.
  9. Catus

Catus n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, I got it. Nice blue one, 11k miles, runs great. Amazing performance.
    I'll give it.a few weeks, but right now I think it could use bar risers. Wonderful handling, great brakes, and plenty of torque. My frame of reference is last bike near 20 years ago, an 83 GS1100E.

Bikes have improved!
  10. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    What year did you get? I discovered a "free mod" yesterday. On my Gen1 (2001), the standard bar risers (attached to the triple clamp) have offset bolts. If you remove the handlebars, then reach underneath with a 14mm wrench, you can rotate the risers 180 deg, which will move the bars back about 1/2". Then put the bars back on and readjust them to suit. It made a world of difference for me, and a 1" riser should finish things off nicely ($19.99 from Rocky Mountain ATV).

Rob
  11. Catus

Catus n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip, I will look into it. Mine is a 2003, blue... Manufacture date July 2002 (maybe its a 2002' after all?)
  12. AllBlackPearl

AllBlackPearl I'm normal.

Oddometer:
    That should be easy to tell - just figure out which blue it is. DPBMC or DPBML? A photo would probably do. :wink:
  13. Catus

Catus n00b

Oddometer:
    a quick one from my cell... I'll get better ones later. Here it is:

[​IMG]

Getting used to it, though not riding today... it's 105 outside, I'm staying in and studying for now.

Bike is fun. I'm using earplugs, as there is a LOT of wind noise at speed (stand up and it's quiet). I'll give a few weeks to get used to it, but I'll prob raise bars and get a bigger screen. I figured that after an 1100E I was used to Fast, but this thing is... well, it's fun. I've not even wound it past 8 grand. Yippeeee!
  14. AllBlackPearl

Oddometer:
    So in Europe this would be an '03. Darker blue and black frame. The '01 and '02 had the lighter blie and sliver frame. Having said this I'm not sure about what was done in the USA....

As for the wind noise - try a smaller screen (take a look at my pics a couple of pages back)! This will keep the wind from hitting your helmet and direct it to your chest instead. Much better. And instead of raising the bars, lower them. Gives you a much better feeling for the front wheel. Take for example the risers of the old XT600 and a SBK bar. It changes everything!
    :wink:
    And - have fun! :freaky
  15. theWolfTamer

theWolfTamer Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer:
    Silver(ish?) frame, silver swing arm is 01-02.
    Black frame, silver swing arm is 03.
    Black frame, black swing arm is 04, 05.
    Silver frame, black swing arm is silver 05.
  16. AllBlackPearl

Oddometer:
    So that seems to be consistent with the European models then. At least as far as '01 - '03 is concerned.
    So you should have a '03 model, Catus.
  17. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Hehehe, just wait until you take it all the way up, don't wear earplugs and finish studying before you do though:deal
  18. Catus

Catus n00b

Oddometer:
    You know, the other day when I stood up into the still air, I thought about that very thing... that maybe no screen would get me smooth/quiet air. Well, just looked at your photo of the darkened flush screen - THAT is what I want to get. Where'd you get it? Gimme the source, please, and thanks!
  19. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've been looking at these bikes a little bit lately. I'm talking to a guy on craigslist, trying to work out a fair trade for my zx-14. You guys think I'd miss the zx motor? I could care less about the 180+ top speed, I never get there anyways. What I do like is the wide powerband, and the smoothness in the 100 to 140 range. At 100 the big ninja is just getting into its happy zone.

How are the passanger accomadations? They look maybe about the same as the 14, which is fine with her.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can make this trade work. I like the ninja, but I think I would like the fz more.
  20. CrazyBiker

CrazyBiker Fast N Smooth

Oddometer:
    If modded up, FZ1 has good midrange but the handling is what you will love the most.