Points of interest?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Herkjerk, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Herkjerk

Herkjerk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it's less than a month away for our big alaska tour! We'll be heading north from homer on the 2nd of August and we're wondering what are some big POI along our route? Restaurants, camping spots or just a good ride! We're willing to deviate for a goody or two and it would be awesome to do a ride along with some of y'all.

Hers a pic of our route up to deadhorse
    [​IMG]
  2. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I see you are doing Nebesbna rd to the mines. My best AK people experience has been a night of drinking at Sportsmans paradise off that road. Bring cash money(no debit machine) leave your cell in your pocket.

btw: Make sure you check out both mines one is privately owned abd theres a trspassing sign but according to the locals the owners hasnt been there in over 20 years.
  3. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the Glenn Hwy, Sheep Mt. Lodge and Eureka Lodge both have pretty good vittles. If you aren't hungry until Glennallen, then I'd opt for the Thai food trailer, in the parking lot of the Hub gas station. Though I've heard that the Caribou is under new ownership, I've not had the courage to try it yet! The Glenn is in nice shape, and no major construction, to speak of.

After that, Tangle River Inn, about 20 miles into the Denali Hwy, has good food, and rooms/cabins for rent. I've never stopped at any of the other places on the Denali, always just blast across. The road was in good shape, when I crossed it a couple weeks ago. Could change over night, though!

The Parks Hwy, is tore up pretty good, between Healy, and the Rex Bridge, so expect delays. 49th State Brewery, in Healy, is awesome. Excellent food and beer!

The Cookie Jar in Fairbanks, for breakfast. Get the chicken fried steak(it's made with prime rib), or the cinnamon roll french toast....you'll thank me later!:)
  4. Herkjerk

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys! I'll be sure to check em out!
  5. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Seeing that the 2nd is a Saturday, spending the night camping in Hope would be a pretty good way to start your trip. If I remember correctly, it's about 235 north from Homer on your route to Anchorage.
  6. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your memory is good, it "used to be" ..... they have since cut a few corners, now it's down to 220 miles, Homer to ANC.
  7. Gingy

Gingy b00b

Oddometer:
    49th state brewery is pretty good. the wife and i stopped there on our move. There's a princess cruise lines owned resort up in denali as well and they have great food. Purrdy excited for the trip man.
  8. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
  9. Mapco

Mapco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, you're going to Manley. I was just there yesterday, beautiful ride and nice little town!

[​IMG]
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    There appeared to be quite a few riders going up the Nabesna Rd over the 4th weekend. No idea if they were headed all the way in to Devil's Mt or stopping at Sportsman's. They must have come back out late at night or really early in the morning, as I didn't seen any returning past my place. Maybe they've all fallen into one of the old mine shafts...?? :D
  11. Herkjerk

Oddometer:

Jealous of your bike....

BBBBRRRRRAAAAAAAPP!
  12. CappyRidesAgain

CappyRidesAgain Nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    Breuggers Bagels and the Tannana Chief (stern wheeler dinner cruise) in Squarebanks. Make sure to say Hi to my aunt at Breuggers.
  13. Herkjerk

Oddometer:
    Well it's 18 days till our big trip I couldn't be more excited. Packed my bike up today to see how all the bags fit. Waiting on some parts and in just a few weeks we'll be touring the long way up to deadhorse! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BBBBRRRRRAAAAAAAPP!
  14. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Herk:
    In the gentlest and non offensive fashion possible, Might I ask you to consider the possibility of a lighter/ lesser load leading to a higher probability of mission success.
    ... Less stuff might even be MORE fun....
  15. Herkjerk

Oddometer:
    I see what your sayin but it's a bit tough since more days than not we're gonna be pretty far from anywhere. My biggest objects are my tent and my sleeping bag.

BBBBRRRRRAAAAAAAPP!
  16. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought a bout including McCarthy/ Kennicott mine on your itinerary ?
    Really nice road across the Copper river valley, cool historical type stuff out that way.
    Round trip McCarthy in and out from Glennallen (fuel ) is 256 miles.
  17. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    yes... McC is a must do. they opened the main processor plant for a tour.... costs money now but worth it.
  18. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    My only regret on my trip to Alaska was not knowing about this side trip. What really hurt is we camped in Copper Center right on the Copper River and drove right by the road to McC on our way to Valdez. Valdez was OK, but I am sure McC would have been much cooler. Oh, well, a reson to come back !
  19. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Herk, are those the 2.75 gallon RotoPax ?
  20. Herkjerk

Oddometer:
    No, just the 2.0 gallon.

BBBBRRRRRAAAAAAAPP!