Triumph 750 engine tear down question.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by marksbonneville, Dec 18, 2011.

1. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm doing a tear down of my '73 750 Bonneville to replace the crankshaft (alternator rotor disaster), my question is do I need to remove the transmission from the block to split the case? I thought with the later blocks the gears could stay in place but I honestly can't remember.
    The rest of the engine is in great shape so I only want to take apart what is absolutely necessary.

Thanks.
  2. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    No - but you'll have to remove the clutch and gearbox outer cover.
  3. marksbonneville

Oddometer:
    Thanks Motu
    Yes I have the clutch assembly off already, and was aware of removing the outer (shifter kick-start cover), I did not want to remove the transmission if I don't have to.
  4. marksbonneville

Oddometer:
    I really don't want to mess around with indexing the gear box so if I can leave it alone I will, it only has 8500 miles since a major overhaul. The rotor literally exploded into the alternator while I was going down the road at 65mph, sudden stop of the engine is an understatement. The rotor key on the crank sheered preventing any other damage and I clutched quickly.
  5. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll have to pull the inner gearbox cover anyway, and it's a lot easier to rebuild the motor with the gears and shafts out. Indexing these things is easier than you might have been led to believe.
  6. marksbonneville

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression the case bolts were under the outer cover? I honestly don't remember the last time I had a Triumph transmission apart.
  7. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    It's a long,long time since I've had one apart too, but I'm sure it's just that one bolt behind the inner cover - some used to cut the cover extension off so the cases could be split without disturbing the outer cover at all.
  8. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it will be easier to get it all apart without the gearbox internals in it, they might all fall out anyway when you try splitting the cases.
    Don't forget the hollow dowel where the front engine mounting bolt goes through.
  9. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    I did one last winter, (1973 T140 Bonneville) and took the transmission apart to inspect, replace seals when I split the case for the crank removal. The phasing of the shifter isn't bad, followed the book for a while, but the Clymer only gave procedure for the 4-speed. I just figured it out for the five speed. Pretty sure there is a bolt in behind the "inner" transmission cover, IIRC
  10. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    marksb'ville's memory is right, and mine was wrong. One summer in the late '70s, it seemed like all I did was rebuild unit 650/750 motors-or more accurately, replace crank bearings. Not only did we leave the gearbox internals in place, we also lefft the cam gears on.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, pull and clean the sludge trap. and repalce the rod bolts.

Wherever you are Dad, thank you.
  11. concours

Oddometer:

...and be careful the rod bolts you get aren't Chinese rubbish. +1 on the sludge trap... this one was 50% blocked, but only had 100,000 miles on it, yes, that's right. My buddie and I rebuilt it last in 1980, he rode it cross country 3 times and everywhere else. Top end was wheezing, so we pulled it back down, sludge trap was the whole reason we opened the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. concours

Oddometer:
  13. marksbonneville

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate all the pics and info and will look it all over in a week or so, a family emergency came up and I'll be out of town, just did not want anyone to think I was ignoring them. Be safe for the holidays and I'll post some pics when I get back in town. Thanks Again.
  14. marksbonneville

Oddometer:
    OK the case is split but the crank is still in place of the right side case as I do not have a crank pinion gear puller or know of one in my area. Couple questions:
    Any tips to removing the crank with the pinion gear installed without ruining the case? I could possible ruin the crank pinion gear and weld on a puller system but I hate to make the situation worse.
    Anyone have a good used or rebuilt crankshaft laying about or know who would have one?
  15. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    The normal method is to smash it out with a hammer and then turn the crank back into shape on a lathe.

However I have a puller....
  16. marksbonneville

Oddometer:
    I wasn't about to go to work on the crank (although its already trashed), I thought the crank bearing would pop out of the case with the crank? Then I could press off the pinion gear but I don't want to damage anything.
  17. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    The crank usually pulls out of the bearing, and it takes some heat to remove the bearing. I don't think the pinion will fit through the hole in the case.

I think a repro of the pinion puller is available. PM me if you wish, and I'll check/.
  18. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    No, the pinion won't go through the case,it has to be pulled off. I've seen too many cranks trashed where people have just slammed away trying to smash it out. It's possible it could be done in a press, but I'd still be worried about damaging the case. Like a clutch puller, a crankgear puller is a must when working in Triumphs. I also have camgear puller and installers....but they aren't really a must, just nice to have.
  19. marksbonneville

Oddometer:
    It looks like I'm going to have to order a puller, we have tried making one but the gear is being stubborn. Oh the joys of working on bikes.
  20. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you pull the crank pinion off the put the case and crank in the oven the bearing usually comes out with the crank, at least it does on mine. It helps to be unmarried before trying this procedure or it can result in serious injury and a large financial penalty.