How to survive a crash

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by rmarkr, Jul 9, 2011.

1. rmarkr

rmarkr Squatter

Oddometer:
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wear Gear. :1drink
  3. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ride a bike so extremely BIG & massive that everyone else is going to hang-up their cell-phone, and get out of the way! :clap
  4. PalePhase

PalePhase Humour Noir

Oddometer:
    That was completely useless, even for a noob. Two pages of silliness but not one word on developing the critical skill of learning how to...

lay 'er down. :D
  5. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    As to THAT, (previous Poster) one may choose to attend The Australian Superbike School (in Oz), the Californian Superbike School (on US West Coast) . . . or any of the other well regarded schools offering classroom & track teaching to a high standard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was obvious that THIS thread was destined to be oriented towards . . . . entertainment!

[​IMG]

Now to return to THIS topic- Hmmm, Make sure you are aboard George Pals 'Space Ark' 30 min before launch?
  6. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Don't crash!:D
  7. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    And don't crash.
  8. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Attend the "Advanced Harley Lay'er Down Technique" classes in NY State?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  9. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I find being intoxicated helps. It limbers you up. Being tense upon impact, increase the chances of an injury. Also it doesn't hurt as bad when you are drunk.
  10. Spool77

Spool77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the Motor Cop in the video suggesting to flash your headlight at someone if you think they are about to pull out in front of you. Isn't flashing your headlight the equivalent of giving them the ok to pull out in front of you in most places? Seems like bad advice to give as a way to avoid being cut off.
  11. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    Of the places I've driven/ridden, (A couple places in the US, a bit in Canada) flashing the lights IS a "go-ahead" sign, so if I'm looking to get the point across, changing from hi to low (or vise versa) is the best way using the headlights.
  12. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    X2. Learn slow so you can ride fast.

I spent prolly 2 weeks in a school parking lot across the street from my house with my bike before I went to get my endorsement.

I was more scared of getting caught riding 1/2 a block and getting caught with no tags and insurance than crashing tho...

and this.

I've ridden relatively VARY fast and VARY long for the amount of experience I had before my 1st crash.

Which was (IMO) not my fault. But I still crashed none the less.

Yesterday I was blocking the left lane (with GF's POS Malibu) when I saw a Vette and a street bike flying up behind me on the right. I gave it the beans and ran up to 120-130 before the Governor kicked in and I was to get off at the next exit...

Dude on the Dick Rocket comes up and I see he's wearing nothing but a tee shirt and jeans...

Now where's the safety in that?:D
  13. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Always keep in mind that even a slow bike can get you into the E.R really fast.

Yeah... and that not crashing thing.
  14. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    I've always believed this is why a larger percentage of drunks survive the wreck than the people they hit.

"God protects drunks and fools" - my Dad
    Vanishing Point likes this.
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Extremely bad advice.:deal
  16. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    They don't make you a motor cop because you are good at riding, they make you a motor cop because you are good at WRITING... tickets, that is! :mulie
  17. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now, here is my suspicion: this advice was given so that next time you try it, you get pulled over and ticketed for improper use of headlight. Bingo, another ticket written.

(Actually, to be fair, I only got a warning then...).
  18. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 My thoughts exactly.
  19. leejosepho

leejosepho Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer:
    Good advice. Psych yourself ahead of time to "just roll with it" -- watch some old Evel Knievel videos ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGGCVE2lKY

In that one, you can see where he first instinctively put his hands out to try to protect himself, but then quickly went into "rag doll" mode ...

... and if all of that scares you as much as it scares me, just keep both wheels on the ground at all times and ride like your life depends upon riding safely in the first place.
  20. Renegade_Azzy

Renegade_Azzy Kamen Rider

Oddometer:
    I find that adding some extra bits to the bike helps. Things like reflective tape, side marker lights, 2 more wheels and a roof really improve the odds of surviving a crash. For extra protection, I personally prefer to add an inline 6 engine and a Jeep badge, but thats up to you.

:evil

Otherwise... awareness, practice, gear. Taking some instruction from those that know is a good thing too.