Augusta/Rockingham County Ride today (Virginia)

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by BLUEThunder, Dec 27, 2008.

1. BLUEThunder

BLUEThunder Ride on!

Oddometer:
    WOW! What a day to ride in the Valley. It got up to about 60 today!! :D It was super nice...the ice had mostly melted at the higher elevations....we did encounter some which made you want to ride a little on the cautious side though.

We left Churchville around 1230 and headed north to the SW rockingham county area. We rode up into the Union Springs area and started climbing. That's where we found some ice. There were bear hunters everywhere...Had to be careful in the turns.

Anyway, we finally made our way out by Stone Camp, across Drill Site, up to Flag Pole then a side trip out Hone Quarry Ridge. Found a lost bear dog out there. Later headed to Reddish Knob, then out along the main ridge to Upper North River. Proceeded down through North River and across Leading Ridge road to Todd Lake and then made our way back to Churchville. It was about an 80 mile round trip ride through LOTS of mud....but was lots of FUN!!!! :clap

Here are some pics:

The view today from near Stone Camp....man it was clear!!
    [​IMG]

And of course, the classic handlebar view
    [​IMG]

This is looking west from Drill Site into WV. You could actually see Mt. Storm power plant and the windmills from there today!
    [​IMG]

Yes, it was muddy...this was actually a dry spot! :rofl
    [​IMG]

Another good view West into WV again this was on the state line:
    [​IMG]

And finally
    [​IMG]

This may be the last day like this we see until about March.... Had to enjoy.
  2. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    Nice shots. Wasn't it nasty today. That first 2" was slicker then eel snot! LOL A few of us met up and did the radio tower then did the p-line trail. Threw in some slab to get to the waterfalls. You two should have joined in. I ended up meeting ADVRidgerunner while we were searching for the falls. What a great guy!
  3. mtnflow

mtnflow LFC, more pie please

Oddometer:
    We did some riding too. I wanted to go on mangmo's ride but we were supposted to have a bus load of family in for the weekend. Half of them are sick so they postponed the trip which gave me a chance to escape. We saw LOTs of bear hunters also, plus some horses we had to pass.

[​IMG]

We got by them, but they passed us back during our coffee break.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We road out Stover's Shop rd and eventually to fs 173 and around deerfield.
  4. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics. Looks like everyone was out and about. Two notable accidents involing motorcyclists in Rockingham County over the weekend in the DNR.

My Dad and I rode up to BRP then Montebello via 56 and up to Blue Ridge Pig for some tasty bbq.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got to love this joker off Timber Ridge
    [​IMG]

We should all meet up for a ride some weekend soon once the weather is 60 again! haha fat chance for a while! See that bridge/tunnel on manganos' ride? Looks cool.