Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read post 31444:huh I really think they are doing their best. If not happy buy the IMS:wink:
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    :eek1 errr, yeah, those things can get in the way. Hope you got through that without too much grief.
  3. KansasBob

KansasBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just thinking out loud now.................................. I guess if the battery is heading South, and you turn the bike on with a low battery, then try to crank it making the battery still even lower that might be enough to cause what ever the low voltage problem is for the head unit. I agree this is a serious issue and has made me nervous since I first read about it. I keep my bike on a tender 95% of the time when I'm not riding, and the original 08 battery is still strong as ever, but considering the consequences of waiting until the battery gets weak I'll probably figure 4 years is the limit and replace it this winter.
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I dunno, I know I have and I'm sure many (most) of us owners have killed the battery by leaving the key on, and then tried to crank it on a dead battery. Never harmed the speedometer. There must be something else in the mix other than just a dead battery.
  5. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought Renthal Fatbars and now need oversize handlebar clamps. Anyone have an opinion of GYTR or the ones that Renthal or Protaper sells?

And do I need anything else after those clamps? I saw this below in the Data, Specs and How-to's thread

6. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also have a look at Highway Dirt Bikes' setup, especially if you also need/want hand guards and/or an easy way to mount stuff like power outlets or switches :thumb
  7. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Highway Dirt Bikes.
    I have them on a couple bikes and they are one of my favorite pieces of kit. I have abused the hell out of mine on my WR and they are bombproof. Not to mention Paul is a great guy and their customer service rocks. I will be putting HDB guards on every dirt bike I ever own.

A couple of shots back when mine looked brand new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. KansasBob

KansasBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My other thought would be glitching the speedo / head unit when trying to jump start or removing the battery. I'm pretty sure the speedo on the WRR is much more than just a speedo, and has part of the circuitry for the FI / ignition system built into it. I don't think the bike will run without it being plugged in. It is a weird deal no matter how you dice it.
  9. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the look / reviews of the HDB stuff but I've already got bars, handguards, and sometime soon a Scotts SUB mount. Once I buy the Scotts their clamps and risers will be what I will use; I'm looking for something for the short term to be able to mount the 1 1/8" bars I have.
  10. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure he'll happily sell you the one of his top clamps and a Scotts-compatible sub-mount. Best of both worlds, and then you can just buy the stabilizer plus the pin.
  11. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain/Tusk is good and cheap. I have used their stuff on my bikes. These may for your short term needs BA.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...sk-Universal-Big-Bar-Clamp-Kit/fat+bar+clamps
  12. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little fall maintenance this weekend. Two brand new Dunlop 606's and a new YUASA
    battery. We're just starting to get into our really good riding season here in California
    now. :evil

I went on a group ride a couple of weeks ago and spent a few days camping
    up in the Sierras. The original battery was not liking the cold early morning starts at
    all. So after 4 1/2 years I replaced it with an identical battery. Hope I can get the same
    life out of this one!.
  14. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    After new steering bearings, I got one more good ride in before the weather looks like its gonna turn cold on us out here in the midwest... Missouri Fall Colors at their best!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

still lovin this bike!! :deal
  15. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Took a few years but I finally managed to break off one of those big/fugly front turn signals yesterday......"looped it" on a step up........decided to go right rather than use the rocks like one of those pussies.......I think the rocks would've been a better choice.......the bike landed there :lol3.......time to upgrade the turn signals

[​IMG]
  16. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL! :rofl

I ain't saying WHY I'm laughing. All I'm saying is it's nice to walk away even if the bike can't!

I spent the day breaking in a new set of MT16's. Brand new - just a couple round the block street rides (maybe 10 miles) to rough 'em up a tad.

Tore one knob completely off, two knobs chunked, and three knobs split at the base.

For the record, MT16's can't quite handle 140 miles of pinned 80mph SoCal freeways...

On the other hand it felt really good for the the 40 miles of dirt I played in! :lol3

I'm going to try the Scorpion XC Mid-Hard Dots next.

If they fail I'm going to cave to the MT43 Trials Tires...I haven't quite made that leap yet.
  17. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

Chris where did you land, did you drag it down the rocks for the restart? Could be a little sore after that.

I know the feeling...::lift
  18. duanew1

duanew1 In my Pajama pants

Oddometer:
    Is that the rear? The MT-16 is my favorite front tire right now and my last one lasted pretty well and is now on my girlfriend's XT225 to finish wearing out. No chunks or tears on it.
  19. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    A
  20. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, rear tire. The front's in good shape and it stuck very well overall. Having said that, the front is DOT...the rear? Notsomuch...

Honestly, if I decided to keep the speeds down to something a bit more reasonable (ie: 65mph instead of 80) the rear would probably have been fine. I was doing a bit of "destructive testing" - that is, seeing how much punishment the tire would take to failure. Roosting and hammering the blue roads...and topspeed (saw 87 mph for a brief downhill "wind at my back" second) on the highway.

My gut tells me it's a decent tire I just wasn't nice to.