The Africa Twin XRV650 & XRV750 thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by iswoolley, Aug 23, 2004.

1. cas121

cas121 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look what the cat dragged in...

[​IMG]

It'll probably take me months to get the stuff mounted but hey, it's a start.
  2. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

That looks nice. I am looking for something like that to convert the look of my bmw f800gs. May I ask where you bought that from in case I decide to actually begin the conversion?
  3. john_aero

john_aero Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have load pica of my dash build if you want sent me pm will email what have on
  4. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks. PM sent.
  5. LethPhaos

LethPhaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why not post them here, so we can all learn? :ear
  6. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    some Africa Twins getting it done this weekend at Touratech Travel Event 2012, in Portugal!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Mika_AT

Mika_AT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    excellent !!! :clap
  8. LethPhaos

LethPhaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice pics :) did they win?
  9. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    there were only 7 riders, i took 3rd place with 58 seconds, and my friends took 4th and 5th with 59 and 1:01.

the guy who won did 53 seconds, and on second place with 55 seconds came jorge soriano, the spanish guy who won this year's GSA DAYS in spain, so we did okei =)
  10. john_aero

john_aero Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. john_aero

john_aero Long timer

Oddometer:
    think left decal not at right angle

have 4 brackets make up and still waiting on sensors arrive then bike done

dash before painting
    [​IMG]

dry layup now tonight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Markus_w

Markus_w n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Due to my height (195cm) I wish to increase seatheight and legroom with installing AQ front and rear underbody heightening/lift kit and Motobau lower footpegs.
    My questions are as follows:

1. When installing the lift kit will the standard cables do it or do I need to replace them with longer cables? (brakes/speedometer etc)

2. With Motobau lower footpegs do I need to modify brake lever to get it in correct height for the lower pegs?
    I have searched through the forum without finding answers to my question and I have previously been in contact with AQ without receiving respond hence why I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance,

Br Markus_w
  13. VTT

VTT n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Markus

you lift the suspension for how much?
    Doing so I would recommend anyhow to replace breaklines with aftermarket steel-flex which you get in any lenght.
    I have some Spiegler (not on market anymore) with additional 2cm for my bar raiser.

Taking the AQ Front (check for the polish one which might be an option) you replace the speedo anyway, don`t you? Otherwise, I assume from my knowledge, you need to replace the drive cable for the speedo. It has only some reserver orginally.
    austrian http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ralley-Light...pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item564a32a918
    polish link i did not get yet but german ebay gives an email owiewki(at)gmail.com

Motobau pegsyou can use with the original breakgear hence you need to adjust position of the lever.
    http://www.africatwin.de/phpbb_x/viewtopic.php?t=11688&highlight=motobau

If you do understand german or give it a chance to understand a german writting english you might check the german board. We do all kind of changes and for sure you get details on Motobau pegs www africatwin de .

regards
    Heiner
  14. The Apostle

The Apostle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to send an Africa from Athens-Greece to Miami. But until now everything seems to expensive and complicated. Has any one done the same??? And how ?? Any ideas ???:freaky
  15. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    On the RD03 and 04, you should be able to remove the brake master cylinder arm on the inside of the frame tubes from the splines on the brake pedal and rotate the pedal downward a few notches. Dunno specifically for the RD07 but I'd assume it's about the same
  16. Africa_Twin

Africa_Twin Africa Twiner

Oddometer:
    It is! I've done exactly that to my RD07a.

There is a small rubber dust cover on the pedal, just be carefull not to pinch that when re-inserting the pedal after realignment.
  17. ujeni

ujeni just doesn't get it

Oddometer:
    It can be done. Thats how we have any of them over here! :D

Though there may be many ways, I am only aware of three ways that worked. I have done one of them twice, am attempting the second and won't try the third. Here they are:

1. The Non-US Citizen route

If you are bringing it over here as a tourist, then you can simply ship it over here with the proper paperwork, get it insured and drive it around in the states. At this point, you can sell it to a US citizen. The US citizen will need to jump through some hoops to get it properly registered here in the states, but it can be done. Thats how I got my RD07 and RD07a; they were brought over by German tourists and I eventually bought them. Getting them registered is a task that Donna Leek here in California has done a few times now. You can contact here here: pro [dot] reg [dot] service [at] gmail [dot] com

2. The US Citizen route

With the proper paperwork, you can import an Africa Twin into the United States. I am aware of one other guy who did this successfully. I am in the midst of doing this myself. Here's how it works...you have the bike shipped to the states with all of its papers and bill of sale. You will also need an official document from Honda that verify's its age. You will need the bike to be more than 21 years old to get around EPA paperwork. Otherwise, the EPA will not let it out of customs. The best way to do all of this is with a Customs Special Agent. You can hire them in any town that has an international port. So, in conclusion, this route is only proven with bikes that are 21 years or older. An RD07 or an RD07a won't work.

3. In Parts

I have read of a few people who have dismantled their bikes and shipped them over in separate pieces. They then reassemble the bike and get it registered in the states. I know the least about this approach. Perhaps others can chime in if they have had success with it.
  18. The Apostle

The Apostle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much is the shipping cost?? I asked here in Athens and told me about 800-1000 dollars !!
    Fortunately it's a RD04 1990-1992 model. I was to try the 3rd one but still in search.
  19. ujeni

ujeni just doesn't get it

Oddometer:
    I am working on getting a RD03 shipped from Ireland to San Francisco. The quotes I have been given are...

By Sea: ~$1,200 (about six weeks travel time)
    By Air: ~$1,800 (about a week travel time)

Keep in mind that I haven't done it yet...these are just the quotes that I received from a shipping company in Ireland.
  20. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Then you'll want to talk to Donna Leek in Grass Valley. She's a DMV guru who can help you get it registered in our wonderful state. She did the work on my recent DR800 purchase and said she's dont ATs before.