03 KTM 640 adv oil pumps?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by K2ride, Sep 5, 2010.

1. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    I'm almost at the end of a major 03 640adv engine rebuild after one of the crank bearings went south & the new oil pumps won`t fit the engine as they're different in bolt pattern & thickness; ...even took them appart to fit the new inners in the old housings but these last aren't deep enough to accomodate the new inners. ...:bluduh

These new pumps are MIKUNIs G-73-10 SKU 58038007700 as specified in the 640 03adv parts manuel & online parts fiche but have 4YI (or 4Y1) printed on them instead of the 288 found on the old ones & won`t fit or bolt in the engine case.

New on top:
    [​IMG]

New pump base:
    [​IMG]

Old pump base plate on top of new pump:
    [​IMG]

Haven't found anything on the subject in the bike specific index or anywhere else online & Mikuni have no online info on these pumps ...& don't want to waste anymore time & $$$ on another set of useless pumps.
    So....
    Do feel free to pitch in, ...please!
    :ear

Edit:
    I've also searched the different LC4 models & years in the parts fiches to no avail.
  2. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    :ear

Very interested in this as I am just about to order a bunch of parts to give my 640 a rebuild, replacing these pumps seemed like a good idea so they are on the list, I'd want them to fit though...

Cheers
    Clint
  3. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    An interesting dilemma for sure...

Some quick 'fiche work shows that the current and correct part number for OIL PUMP MIKUNI G-73-10, 58038007700, is actually a "updated" part number. There has, at some stage, existed a previous version of the oil pump, with the part number 58038007100.

Then, there also exists a curious related KTM part, an OIL PUMP HOUSING, with the part number 58038004000. However, the fiche tools do not recognize that where this part belongs.

I am surely very interested in the solution as well, for the day that I will have to replace my oil pumps is coming, sooner or later...

Cheers,

Tseta
  4. K2ride

Oddometer:
    My engine case (oil pumps side) is marked:
    584 300 03 200
    KTM
    AQVS

The only other oil pump model I've found for the LC4 is one of the 2 on the 660 engines.
    That be:
    SKU 58538007000 G185 ...& doesn't look like what I need.

Saw that & haven't found anything on its specific application, either; I'm guessing its for the 660 Rally or factory SM engines

Thanks for the oil pumps original SKU number; I'll give it a try chez KTM & see what gives tomorrow.

Based on KTM's own data, us bozos believe that KTM sells us OEM parts that actually fit their specific applications
    but, alas...
    KTM only agrees with the ''bozo believers'' part of the deal!
    :lol3
  5. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Took quite a bit of poking on Cycle Hutt but finally managed to get this info:

Oil pump Mikuni G73 (not G73-10)
    for
    -350 E-XC & SUPER COMP WP DIV
    -400 EXC & DUKE
    -620 DUKE, SX WP DIV, EGS, E-XC & SUPER COMP WP

$89 but no indication they're available as the 58038007700 G73-10 buggers are offered instead.

Pity the new ones don't fit as their thicker chambers allow 15 to 20% more oil displacement than the oldies.
  6. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    Bump...

Did you find out anything yet?

Cheers,

Tseta
  7. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Yes ...just got a reply today from the online parts store.

Problem is at KTM in Austria; none of these new pumps will fit their specified applications & they're progressing to have the proper ones made.

Warning:

None of the Mikuni G-73-10 SKU58038007700 replacement oil pumps (as indicated in their part fiches) will fit their specific applications on the 640 & older 620, 400, 350 LC4 engines.

&...

KTM has no oil pumps to fit these bikes at this point in time!

Also,
    No info on when they'll be available but I'm expecting it'll take a while.

In other words,
    There goes the last & best part of this riding season cuz my 640's original oil pumps are shot! :bluduh
  8. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    Well that just sucks.........:huh

That has gotta piss you off a little......you mean they can`t find them in their dealer network for you either?????????

Come on down i`ll let you ride my bike for awhile before cabin fever sets in...:wink:

B
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Are your old oil pumps pooched?
  10. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    there are always pumps on ebay... usually still in great shape...
  11. K2ride

Oddometer:
    I'd take you up on the offer ...if I had an interesting way of getting to NB, that is. :lol3

Yep!
    Crank bearing went south after the Paris/Dacre & metal shavings done the pumps in as well as other bearings, piston, cylinder etc... .

I'm tempted cuz oil pumps are the only thing missing to complete the rebuild; no more than a couple of hrs & I'd be breaking in this very fresh engine but I've got over $1600 of parts in it & need to be darn sure Fleabay pumps would be up to par or it be just another waste of time & $$.
  12. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    There was a procedure listed in the LC4 engine manual about checking the oil pumps for wear. It involved feeler gauges and such. Perhaps a candidate e-bay pump could be checked with this procedure.

I wonder if KTM just now (or recently) noticed the fitment problem with the replacement oil pumps? Some types of QC or specification check-ups have surely been lacking somewhere along the chain...

If you get any more information about the "corrected" oil pumps through your sources (such as delivery date etc.), then please let us know.

Cheers,

Tseta
  13. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    my machinist/ riding partner is rebuilding his motor now and says the pump would be a piece of cake milling.. or the rotor (which wears).. luckily his is in spec...
  14. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Thing is that the new ''unfit'' pumps are thicker by at least 10%; this translate in more oil displacement per RPM & the allowable engine dept spacing will accomodate them ...these new pumps stand no more than 1.25mm higher than the original ones.

Only one of the new housing bolt holes is ''offbeat'' & looking at the possibility of grinding off this excess to fit the the old pump base, fab an excentric sleeve/washer to grab what would be left of the new housing's shoulder at that point & bolt it through the original base hole into the engine.

...Getting desperate, here!
    :lol3

Then again,
    Followed the advice here & just got a hold of 2 fleabay units this morning in the hope they're in specs as indicated in the shop manual or I'll be shopping a sled!
  15. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Problem is that the rotor assemblies (inner & outter contact surface) & the housings need to be replaced; one of the bases is a little scored but should be OK.
  16. clintnz

Oddometer:
    Any updates on this :ear

I just ordered 2 pumps from the local dealer for my impending rebuild, told them that I had heard of some issues & to double check that they have the right ones. Shall be interesting to see what the story is on this side of the world.

Cheers
    Clint
  17. K2ride

Oddometer:
    I was just informed that they have received 2 other pumps adressed to me.
    I'm guessing they're the proper ones but don't know if these are old leftovers out of Austria or new ''corrected configuration'' production models.

If you're in a hurry & your dealer can't get the right ones yet, Partspitstop (USA) have these 2 in stock as I've cancelled the order; the 2 ''temporary'' fleabay units were in specs & no need to be replaced ...& this, at 80% savings! :wink:
  18. clintnz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! I'm in no hurry though, I want to see my 640 do 100 000 km first, 7000 km to go now which will hopefully see me through the NZ summer, then I'm going to give her a big rebuild whether she needs it or not. :D With many 640 parts being ex Austria to NZ I've been ordering a few parts every month or 2 to make sure I have everything in time & to spread the damage to the toy budget.

Cheers
    Clint
  19. K2ride

Oddometer:
    Going on 100,000km with a thumper & spreading the eventual rebuild cost leads us to believe that you're early to bed & early to rise as you appear to be happy, healthy ...& certainly WISE!

This, of course, is synonymous of total envy on my part as well as my toy budget's! :bluduh
    ...:lol3
  20. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Nearly 15 months since the last post. I think that those who have a long term relationship with their 640 would be thinking of new oil pumps being uppermost on the "keep the bugger alive" parts shopping list. Any news on availability of new pumps yet?