Photo-radar follow-through?

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Z0RR0, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, this might sound very shallow ... fuck it, it probably is.:rofl

Going to Europe, mostly France, with a dab of Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Germany.

On a Canadian registered motorcycle. Quebec, to be more accurate.

What happens if I get caught by a photo radar? Is it going to follow through, ticket ($) and license points?

Where in the world could I find official info about this?
  2. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    In France, if it's a fixed radar unit, there won't be any action taken because the plate won't be recognized. Most units still flash from the front anyway, although that it changing. It's the mobile radar gun in the hands of the cops that is your worry. If they tag you, don't try to run because that could cost you the fine and your bike could be impounded and you with it. More or less the same scenario in the other countries, AFAIK.

The fixed units were, until a few months ago, preceded by sign posts that warned of the radar but those have either been removed or replaced by electronic signs that show your speed. These are not connected to the ticket issuing money machine, just informative.

Mostly what you'll see handling traffic are the gendarmes in the countryside and autoroutes, the national police more concerned with cities. Pay attention to flashing high beams from oncoming traffic. That usually means live cops in the neighborhood.
  3. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That has been my experience throughout western Europe. I can't be sure that I've triggered any photo radars, but I probably have and haven't received any "presents" in the mail over the past 3 years (Virginia tags).

A manned trap is another thing altogether. As RTLover said, be nice to the people on the side of the road with the radar gun. :D
  4. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know the automatic radars don't recognize non-euro plates. :D

And yeah, running from the 5-0 has never been in my plans! Doesn't sound like something I would enjoy very much.
  5. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I'll be up your way soon - running the Rendez-Vous Rally (IBA type - not sit-n-polish type) out of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu on the 10th. It kicks off at 05:00, and finishes by 17:00. If you want to see whatever action there is going to be, be at the Auberge Harris by 16:00 or so.
  6. Steelybeast

Steelybeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Michael,

Just curious, how do you handle registration & insurance on your bike over there since it stll has Virginia tags?

David
  7. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    The Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't need to see the bike physically to renew registration - all it wants to see is that that there is an insurance policy in effect.

So...

I maintain minimum stateside liability insurance on the bike (it's worthless as actual insurance goes, but it makes the state happy) and renew the registration each year. I carry the new registration stickers over with me, stick 'em on the plates and away I go.

I do, of course, buy Green Card insurance to cover 3rd party liability when I'm on the road over there.

Virginia requires an annual safety inspection to operate on Virginia's roads, but this is not required to renew registration, so is not relevant to riding over there as I am not on Virginia's roads. Not to mention that my own safety inspection is MUCH more rigorous than what the state inspector does.

Also, this is a bike that I bought new in 1994 and had a long history in Virginia before I shipped it over.
  8. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the same insurance subject, have you ever looked into theft insurance (no just green card liability)?
    I'd love to have theft coverage but can't find anything. Also, is the green card 150 euros/month for all resellers?
    Thanks! :)
  9. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    see your separate thread query
  10. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I haven't looked into theft - but then, I'm riding an 18 year old bike over there - the residual value is about nil.

You can get green card directly from ADAC for 105 Euros/month (but you have to do it in person). It was 22 Euros 2 years ago - talk about a price boost. :huh