2013 Giant Loop

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by OlafofOregon, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlafofOregon

OlafofOregon Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great Basin Dry Bag dimensions
    * 18" (46cm) long (when top is rolled three times and buckled)
    * 9" (23cm) diameter (when fully stuffed)
  2. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    thanks for that ..sounds like it will fit my bed roll fine ...as it only has the 1 loop to go threw ..and the coyote has the 2 loops would this be an issue strapping it down ?? or just run the straps over it not use the loop ?

i got this pic of the rear end .....you can sort of see the bags ..me ninja style

[​IMG]
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Apologies for being a little late to the party! A few more photos from the Tuareg Rallye this year, and the riders using a Giant Loop Mojave:

#133 Dirk Kessler (Team IYSK Wines/RMS)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#317 Jean-Luc Solans (Team IYSK Wines/RMS)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#116 Lukas Matzinger (Husaberg Adventure Team)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spoke to Jean-Luc after the rally and will post his review of the bag shortly - suffice to say he was as similarly impressed as Lukas was, as indeed am I - it seems perfect for this sort of event where the majority of the field are on essentially a stock enduro/dual-sport bike, and all your 'rallye extras' can be contained in one easy strap-on/off bag!

Jx
  4. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    As long as the compression straps are kept tight they should be sufficient to secure the Dry Bag event for off-road riding. The lash points make it nearly impossible for the bag to bounce out, but there are also D-rings on the roll top so you can use a carabiner to tether it onto the bike instead of the lash loop(s).
  5. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Awesome photos Jenny! Thank you for the pics and getting the rider feedback for us. :clap
  6. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Giant Loop's South African distributor, Desert Lizard, just posted up some sweet pics of rally racer Riaan van Niekerk getting busy with the MoJavi Saddlebag! :D
    [​IMG]
  7. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Our friend John dropped by the shop last week with his Triumph Tiger 800 XC, giving us our first real chance to properly fit the Siskiyou Panniers and Fort Rock Top Case on this popular adventure touring machine.
    [​IMG]
    More pics here (last two pages of this gallery).
  8. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
  9. dhawker

dhawker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Giant Loop, plus all the other advertisers that I have seen, say the capacity on the "Fort Rock Tail Bag" is 120 liters. I just purchased one and I would say "no way". Has anyone actually measured these things. The "Siskiyou" panniers are 35 liters a side (70 liters total) and they look to hold more than the Fort Rock. Looks more like the same capacity as the "Great Basin" to me, interestingly about the same price as the Great Basin as well.
  10. dhawker

dhawker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish you could do the bean test on the "Fort Rock". Seems impossible to be 120 liters to me, but maybe if you stuff it to the max it is. I would do it, but don't have enough beans :lol3

11. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This beans test got me thinking.

When I bought them I measured my Magadan bags l x w x h as you would a rigid box and got 24L, similar to my calcs on Siskiyous (see earlier).

But the other day I managed to fill one with no less than 40 litres of water in the waterproof liner, roll it all up and clip the bag shut.

So I've learned something new: a cube is different, but the dimensions of a flexible suitcase-shaped box (aka: soft moto pannier) cannot be compared with a rigid box of the same size.
    That is something to think about if comparing hard vs soft volumes by dimensions alone.

There's more here.

[​IMG]
  12. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Chris,

That is a great article contrasting the dimensional differences of rigid vs soft luggage! Thanks for giving the subject some scientific attention.

Clearly, the soft equipment continues to prove its mettle against metal.:clap
  13. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    Nice! Have you revised your comparison chart to reflect volume as measured with water in all bags? Have you had the opportunity to ride with all of the bags in your comparison?
  14. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice experiment!

This would be most excellent to know - and timely - as I'm on the fence right now in regards to soft luggage. It's like it's going to be either the GL Siskiyous, Magadans, or WM Rocky Mountains for my 650X. I already have the rack. :clap
  15. OlafofOregon

Oddometer:
    :eek1 WE STAND CORRECTED! With apologies and egg on my face, the corrected volume of the final production model Fort Rock Top Case is 85.5 liters (using beans as our measuring medium). Just updated our website. My 120-liter figure was based on an earlier prototype bag, which was boxier in shape and wider on both sides. I neglected to update the specs.

Please return your Fort Rock Top Case for a full refund if you are not completely 100% satisfied.
  16. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    You're not alone there :ear
  17. dhawker

dhawker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I knew it!!! I may be old, but my eyes haven't failed me yet. Thanks for your honesty, I didn't think they could be 120 liters. Love the product.

18. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Snow j and men.

As of this edit - yes. See here.

I bet there is some formula to calculate potential maximum volume under deformation of a flexible rectilinear container. And I bet its been known for as long as saddlebags have been made.

No - some like yours were just review loans (Wolfman EDS reviewed also, but did not list); Kriega's were on a mate's bike. The other three I did- or do own.
    So, to clarify the maths, that is 3 out of 5 in the table owned and used - and yet a 'Harold Olaf Cecil' still made allegations to the contrary a few weeks later on the Adv Spec FB page...
  19. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see pictures of the Zigzag handlebar bag installed on a bike... and more info on how they install, etc. Would they fit on stock bars on an ADV bike like a GS or Vstrom? Would they work on after-market bars with the dirtbike style cross-brace? How much would they block gagues, etc?
  20. alskee750

alskee750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you guys see if "Buck & Roll" will fit a 2012 Sertao (Dakar)? Looking at the pictures I think it's doable. I dont like to carry much weight in the front, but that can actually work for me. PM me if you like..

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.