Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. arraflipper

arraflipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure looking forward to learning and seeing more pictures of the town since you are spending a couple days there.

Like the Ladybug said, take it a little easy, slow down, enjoy. Seems you are doing just as you were told. Enjoy yourself, as we will get to when you share, more storys and pictures.
  2. micro_fresh

micro_fresh n00b

Oddometer:
    Way to go! I 've read this thread within 2 days!
    We 're following you spiritually! Keep on!

:clap:clap
  3. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Just checking in Mark... AWESOME Columbia appears to be everything I imaged it to be.

Keep the rubber down :ricky
  4. boomhwr

boomhwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark,

Read almost everything you have posted, amazing and sending whatever wishes are needed on the anniversary. One question, how is your Ipad to travel with? Better than a mini?

Always riding with you in spirit.
  5. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually carry my ipad for reading books, lonely planet guides and skyping with family (and sort of a back up). It is great for this, but I did not want to just carry this. So I have a 13" MB pro for all my video, photos, posting etc. and a back up HD as well.
  6. Radioman

Oddometer:
    It has been great riding through Colombia. We arrived in the quaint town of Barichara, and was one of those places that needs a few days to just enjoy. It is not like there are tons of things to go do or see, but a place to just enjoy the people and the views! Slow down and smell the flowers :D

The main plaza has a cathedral.

[​IMG]

and lots of "wobblestones" . These cobblestones are much bigger than other towns.

[​IMG]

Interesting architecture and great to just wander around and look. Not too many Gringos here..... so it is time to relax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

great views

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to laugh at this iron water cover...... Was produced in Wabash, IN which is very near to where my brother in Law lives.....

[​IMG]

Couple other churches up the hill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Catching daily life, as this guy delivered milk to the locals. One Ladle at a time.

[​IMG]

I got up at 6am and took the walk to Guane. It is a 9 KM walk from Barichara down to Guane. Felt like the movie "The Way".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The walk takes you down the hill on large stones through the countryside to a really great view.

[​IMG]

Past family "Fincas"

[​IMG]

Few animals also on the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The town of Guane is small, but cool.

[​IMG]

Main church

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And like many of the Catholic churches, they have large paintings or Statues and representations of the Crucifixion.

[​IMG]

Had a nice breakfast in town.

[​IMG]

Once in Guane, I took a "taxi" back up to Barichara.

[​IMG]

It was funny as I got in, it would not start, but locals pushed the taxi.... and compression started it.. off we went :D All part of the adventure.

[​IMG]

Made it back up to Barichara....

[​IMG]

Water is collected overhead for use in the town. Not too many places have hot water .... But the weather is nice and warm.

[​IMG]

Had a great dinner here!

[​IMG]

and also at Greengos Restaurant where we met Nico and Mary! They served up some really great pizza. James was really happy as there are a couple of Vegetarian restaurants in town.

[​IMG]

Also found an interent Cafe as not of the hotels seem to have WIFI. The owner Javier was great!!

[​IMG]

Dinner again at Greengoes.

[​IMG]

Did check on my bike and my rear tire which I set up to be "tubeless"..... But something happened and it has been going flat. :huh Talked with Woody's Wheel works, and they have never had a set come back. Not sure what happened, but looks like I will have to ride into Bogota to get a rear tube... will then take a look. It is all part of trip like this as bike maintenance and issues do come up.

[​IMG]

Having a great few days off here!! That is the part of this travel that takes time to embrace. I have made the decision to not ride to Ushaia until December.... so I have time to explore :D
  7. GoinPostal

GoinPostal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark, after some hectic times it seems like you are taking the time to relax, I can feel it in your posts. Good for you. Beautiful pictures. Colombia looks like a wonderful country despite what the US news stations make it out to be...Enjoy, be safe
  8. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    That last group of pictures - it must strike you that, except for the cars, you could be 200 years in the past.
  9. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    WOW....I can't get over how clean these towns are!!!
    It's a real problem out here where I live. One of our most scenic drives over the hill to the ocean, is completely littered with garbage, old tyres, refrigerators, and couches. It makes me sick how much some people disregard the beauty of where we live. If it doesn't concern you, that's not a problem, but that doesn't mean it's OK to trash up the place!!!! :jerko

Nice to see you slowing down and truely absorbing your new surroundings. :norton
    Wish I was there.
  10. ADV Fool

ADV Fool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DITTO........

Enjoy Mark, enjoy!!!!
  11. fbritt5

fbritt5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful Town - Kind of makes me think I should sell everything and move down. Thanks - Frank
  12. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you will be very happy with this choice, I don't think you can go wrong with it:deal I'd say as a little modification to Crashmaster's theory on SA travel on a moto: Ride smooth which=fast, and travel slow:deal

There is just too much good stuff to pass quickly on by and the riding is great too:wink:

I've spent nearly 3 months in Colombia and it's still way too short, I need more!
    Viva Colombia

Goodluck with your trip RM:ricky
  13. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  14. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    +2 I am glad you are slowing down to take it all in. After seeing these last pictures sure wish I was there too. Keep it man.
  15. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Glad to hear you will be in Colombia for awhile. I plan to come down again in Feb, and for a longer time in March, so hope to see you again!
  16. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Might see you as I am riding for the next couple months in Columbia and Ecuador, then might be flying home for a bit before riding south at the end of this year! Would be great to catch up!
  17. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :thumb. Definitely am slowing down the ride to enjoy South America. Plan now is to ride to Ushaia, TDF about December!!

But that leaves me this summer to figure out if I will be back here, or make a trip to India :ricky then return to SA in August to ride south!! This adventure will continue to change :) :deal
  18. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:

NOW That's what I'm talking about......... make up as you go............. ENVIOUS. I just knew there was enough to see and do in Colombia and Bolivia. I heard some good things about Ecuador.

"No worries, No Hurries" is really sinking in with you Mark. I think you found your groove:deal

:lurk

P.S. I have been home a few weeks now and am already wanting to hit the road again. Dud this stuff gets in your bloodstream....... two wheeled travel that is.
  19. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:

:clap Awesome. If I'd won the lotto over the weekend, I was headed to Colombia to join you...but alas, no luck. Ride safe Mark, glad to see that you're taking things slower and immersing yourself in the culture. Always looking forward to the updates.

BTW - You're in a better spot that us here right now. (-14.0*C last night)
  20. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    Radioman,

I have really enjoyed your RR so far. You story has been an inspirational one and kept me reading till the wee hours to try and get caught up.

Not sure if you have already been to the Cathedral of Salt as I just clicked to the end to find out if you had passed Bogota yet. if you have not been you might want to take the hour detour from Bogota to stop in and see the Cathedral.

Will be in Bogota till Thursday for work.

I will have come back down here at some point on a motorcycle to enjoy all the country side and warm people of South America.

Cheers.

K