My New Vespa GTS Super 250ie

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Rick G, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello All!

I am finally getting around to posting a couple of pics of my new (to me) 2009 Vespa GTS Super 250ie. I picked it up last week withjust over 2ooo miles. This has been a wonderful upgrade to my Sym Fiddle which is now for sale. It came with the top box, sidestand, tall windshield (I took off) and cover. I just had a full service and the fuel pump recall completed. So far I have added an auxillary brake /turn sig / running light license plate frame and a 12volt socket for phone and iPod charging duties while on the road. Not much more for me to do than to ride it! So far I am digging her. She is a beauty!

Rick G

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]
  2. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice scooter. I like the color.
  3. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that looks like a scooter should (not a maxi scooter) and with 250cc, should be freeway capable, at least on most interstate highways. I wouldn't ride on most urban freeways with anything less than 1000cc.
  4. Rick G

Oddometer:
    I hear and agree with what your saying. Not that there is anything wrong with the big wheeled and motored scooters. But I don't want a scooter that tries to be a motorcycle. I have motorcycles for when I want to ride a big wheeled bike. The small wheeled experience is different enough to be fun in its own right.

I started with my Sym Fiddle 125 Vespa look-a-like (for sale http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821538&highlight=fiddle) as a reasonably priced test of the scooter waters. I liked it an decided to upgrade to a more capable scooter that I could take on 50-60 mph country roads and this Super does it great! No problem maintaining speed even up grades. Though I haven't yet, it could go on the freeway but that is not what it is for. I might even do some light touring on it. Maybe even ride it to a BYOB if it were not too far. That would be fun.

Who knew I was a scooter guy?

Rick G
  5. =retread=

=retread= freedom loving USA

Oddometer:
    Who knew I was a scooter guy?

Rick G[/QUOTE]
    sharp scoot !!! they are so easy and fun to ride i think everyones a scooter guy but just dont know it !! :D
  6. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that a stock seat?

Neat looking package
  7. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    That scoot will take you wherever you want to go. I rode my Vespa GT200 from San Diego County to British Columbia and back, and it never let me down. I took the coast highway most of the way because I don't enjoy riding the freeways.

Keep that full height screen for long trips, it makes a huge difference when riding in cold or wet weather, and cuts way down on helmet noise.

Congrats!
  8. Rick G

Oddometer:
    As far as I know it is a stock saddle and top box pad. I believe it came standard on the Super Model. The regular GTS had a tan saddle.

Rick G
  9. Rick G

Oddometer:
    I rode the scoot home 60 miles on 2 lane roads and hated the screen. It gave me bad buffeting on my helmet. I might have been too tall for my 5'9" frame. I may sell it and get a shorter one for the longer trips and cooler weather.

Rick G
  10. Rick G

Oddometer:
    sharp scoot !!! they are so easy and fun to ride i think everyones a scooter guy but just dont know it !! :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Most guys aren't comfortable enough with their "feminine" side to give one a try. They percieve them as girly bikes. My first real scooter ride was a couple of years ago when I was visiting my buddy (the one that ended up selling me my Sym) in Chicago and he gave me a scooter tour of downtown Chicago including a couple of laps around Wrigley Field. I never had so much fun in traffic and congestion as I did zipping around cars and having drag races with my buddy from each light or stop sign. Yeah, some guys never grow up. I have know this guy since Kindergarden and we will be pushing 60 soon.

He is also a motorcycle guy and was responsible for getting me into motorcycles as well. Everyone needs a friend like Ken.

Rick G
  11. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on the year and scooter color for the stock seat, sometimes tan and sometimes black. I've seen both as stock on a black Vespa/Piagio The one shown is the stock Super seat I believe. The Super has the "sport" package compared to the regular GTS.

Note, it is very common for folks to just cut down the tall Vespa screen. That's what I did with mine though I love the tall screen on my Scarabeo, shower door it might be but it sure is a quiet smooth ride though I currently have the Aprilia OEM "summer" screen on mine and it is still a bit too warm for summer.
  12. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vintage Vespas with 2 stroke engines and manual transmissions are definitely NOT "girly bikes. They are messy, smelly, and clunky. Bumps will knock your teeth out. I have a Genuine Stella 2 stroke, which is pretty much the same thing, and I cannot imagine a "feminine" type person wanting one. It is more difficult to ride in traffic than a Sportster. I also have a Vino 125, call it what you want, I like it. It's not nearly as much fun as the Stella, but is far more reliable and practical. I still want a freeway capable scooter that doesn't look like a Silverwing, Burgman, Majesty, etc.

I also have a Goldwing, but as was said, that is a completely different experience.
  13. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May I ask why not less than 1000cc? A Silverwing is well under that but good for over 100mph.

Urban freeways don't move that quickly unless your freeway is the autobahn.
  14. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Having both a scooter and a motorcycle is great!!!
  15. lumaom

lumaom n00b

Oddometer:
    Rick,

I just purchased a 2007 Vespa GTS 250ie in excellent conditions with 1700 miles. I'm looking of a tall windshield for it. Did you sell yours or planing to use later? If it's for sale, please send me a quote for consideration. Thank you and enjoy your beauty! BTW, mine is the same color as yours!:thumbup

Omar

exeter611@gmail.com

16. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Go ride the wheels off that machine!
  17. Rick G

Oddometer:
    I intend to! :deal

Rick G
  18. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a beauty! I'm partial to these too and may get one one of these days.
    Maybe you'll ride it down to a 4Winds event sometime?

Jay
  19. Rick G

Oddometer:
    I intend to! Looking forward to seeing my 4Winds friends. Been too long.

Rick G
  20. northshore_paul

northshore_paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a Burgman 400 but the Vespa is sure appealing and I may still get one. yours is one fine looking machine. Have you done any cruising at about 75 mph? Is so how is it at that speed?