Having trouble seating the bead on heidenau's k60 scouts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bob Tosi, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm changing to these in my Tiger and I can't seem to get the bead to seat. I even tried to use a ratcheting tie down strap around the tire but no luck.

Anyone got some good ideas?
  2. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    try taking out the valve stem to get more volume of air in, did you lube the bead too?? You'll need a decent cfm compressor, not a little 110 tire pump thingy, or worse 12volt pump.
  3. Idle

Idle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had the same problem with a heidenau K73 for my tubeless rear rim.

I took it to the tire shop and they helped me get it set. Used a bead blaster air tank.
  4. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the tire lube and use the real stuff, Napa carries it for about $12/gal IIRC, a gallon would probably last a hobbyist a lifetime. Also try pumping the tire up to 50-60 psi, that will often do the trick and get the bead to seat and usually you will hear a pop when it happens...

[​IMG]
  5. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was using soapy water. The big blocks seated real easily.

These wont even pressure up.
  6. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmmm, what are you using as an air source? If it won't flow a fair volume as said above sometimes tubeless tires won't seat. I ran into that once before I had a compressor and ended up connecting two hand pump air chucks with a hose and connecting one end to a inflated auto tire and one to the MC tire and that worked....once the MC tire held air I was able to fill both up w/ my bicycle pump. A portable air tank might work too...or maybe a bead seater?? have not tried one myself but they are supposed to seat even the most difficult tires

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was using my 6gal home compressor that I use for air tools and filling up tires. It probably is not putting out enough volume.
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Push one side against the wheel by hand, then use an old (or new) bicycle tube to fill the gap on the other side. Maybe a piece of plywood to hold the tube in place and close the gap but don't pinch the bicycle tube in there.:wink: Then inflate. Trust the really old guy who showed me that so many years ago.
  9. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you clean the old rubber from inside the rim??? Scotchbride and kero are your friend

pull valve stem

Heat tire up. nice sunny days are hard to find here right now... more lube

More cfms 6 gallon could do it but bigger compressor would be mo better.

I wouldn't be afraid to run her up to 60 psi as long as valve stem is pulled. (short duration pushes to 60psi)
  10. dirtybike

dirtybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ratchet strap around the circumference (outside) of the tire. As you tighten the ratchet, it should push the beads out toward the rim.

I haven't needed to do this in many years. I would stop adding air, and release the ratchet as soon as the tire would hold pressure.
  11. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JanKsuAG2d8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JanKsuAG2d8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  12. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    <object height="360" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5wa1CQ3eZRg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

go to 3.15 ... guy is long winded
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aLBRMpyU_Z0?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  13. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    No need to ever use ether or other explosive mixture to seat tire at home.

YOU RISK DEATH OR WORSE WITH ETHER !

Maybe 100 mile from nearest service ^ ,other wise straps, remove valve core and 5 + hp compressor(10cfm) and proper technique will seat any tire .

It might take more than 2 hands and it might take more than 2 tries ,but 3.50-4 to 11r24.5s will seat .

Get someones help , another rider, tire tech ,somebody .
  14. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I end up taking out the valve stem and using the mechanics compressor at work, industrial size. The front popped right into place.

Thanks guys
  15. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok the rear is being a real pita! Can't get the bead to seat. I tried taking out the valve stem and using a high volume high pressure air and that wouldn't do it.

Any ideas?
  16. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the rear on with a little effort. A compression strap and industrial compressor. Finally....
  17. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    some people have had problems seating tires on the R100GS also. So you're not alone.
  18. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    And a KTM. Just looking for ideas. I never had an issue with this tire on my R1150GS(tubeless). The tube type on the KTM (front) is being a pain.
    Does the ratchet strap around the circumference work with a tube type tire?
  19. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had no problem with the front. The rear was the issue. I ended up getting help from my fleet mechanic at work. It took "real" tire lube a compression strap and some "bouncing" on the ground. Then a shot from a high volume/high pressure industrial compressor. Even getting the beads over the 17" rim was a bitch! I'm not sure I could have done it on a tube tire. I even bent a 24" steel tire iron. I guess I need work on my technique.....
  20. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried using zip ties?? I learned the method here and am totally sold on it, especially for tube tires as it is almost impossible to pinch a tube this way and it is VERY easy to get the tire on the rim. The original thread is at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

[​IMG]

[​IMG]